azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
My current reservation, dual motor. Why? Tri-motor was one year more and my true needs only neede a single motor except when I go skiing. Since the tri was announced to release with the dual, I have not altered my reservation and am kicking the decision down the line.

If single is 40k, dual 50k and Tri 70, the cost of solar will compete with upgrading the motors.

If solar is 6K, why not upgrade to dual from single?

End of day, I am undecided whether to stick with dual or tri, plus FSD, intention to add solar (if cost/bragging rights ratio is in my favor) and quad if low enough to resale for profit or so low I cannot pass up. (don’t expect to get the quad)

If no change in FSD from today to release, I may remove FSD and go Tri And add FSD at a later time when I can bury the cost from my wife Until after the fact. I expect FSD will be at the level I am happy to include FSD.

0-60 in 2.9, 500 mile range versus extra energy cost and weight, increased insurance cost, 20K plus tax cost…

Hard to argue against the 0-60 in 2.9 seconds and battery range. (O-60!!!)
Go with Tri motor as a priority and let FSD and Solar option battle it out for 2nd place
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Or... just close my eyes and write the check for everything.
Insurance will be my determining factor when it comes time. I commute the dreaded 405 in CA 70 miles daily. cannot use the speed in the traffic. If insurance is similar to the Chevy 454ss, I most likely will stick with the 2 motor.
If ‘want‘ rules the day, 3 motor. If wallet wins, we’ll see.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
In terms of value for the money FSD might be useful some day but a solar array on a truck this size will never be unless your definition of "useful" is very minimal.

Unfortunately, you will need to compare solar cost against charging cost. Numbers are slightly lower.
Let's do that. Fisker estimates 1000 free miles per year for the Ocean's solar assuming California sunshine (and I assume that does not mean downtown San Francisco). At .4 kWh/mi that's 400 kWh worth, where I live, $48. If I plan to keep the truck 5 years that's $240. So if the solar option costs less than $240, buy it!

Last edited:

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Right now I am not sure if I will get the solar option. Winter it will not work great here. Summer it will be good, however the back needs to be closed for it to work and the tent attachment has the cover open. I like to camp in the bush so the light is not great there either. It will come down to cost if I buy it or not.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I just had an idea watching a video of the CT. All the pictures of the ramp are of the same slotted design of the bed. But during the unveil the design was little squares. What if the ramp also doubled as a solar panel. This could be the wings that Elon had discussed. This would be an easy way to carry more solar panels.

Tesla Cybertruck How many are getting the solar option 3CF71C57-1D02-48F9-BABA-C98D5DCD54A9

Tesla Cybertruck How many are getting the solar option E37A7066-64F5-4FBF-97AB-F08220F2DAF6

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I think there is potential for the sails to be solar. Open, unfold or unfurl to add more surface area. Loss of storage, con. Automatic deployment and storage, pro.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The rectangles in the tailgate ramp appear to function as traction for the quad to Get int9 the bed.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The rectangles in the tailgate ramp appear to function as traction for the quad to Get int9 the bed.
That is my thoughts too. However if the ramp was changed for solar panels for those who do not need the ramp. I want a functioning ramp myself and am not likely to get the solar package anyways.

parapyropig

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 FJ Cruiser NSSE, Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
parapyropig
Country flag
I would absolutely get that as an option. I’d also like to see Fisher-like PV combined with the roof glass.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, it could conceivably keep the TCT topped off, and compensate for Sentry mode and other parasitic draws.

Last edited:

mggoulet

First Name
Michel Goulet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck with 3 motors
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I ordered one for my home in Fl and another on for our home in Québec... So, as we won't be in Fl for 6 months... can we just put the solar pannel and not plug the CT to and electric cord for that long...???

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Nope, I wouldn't pay $500 for it... increased chance of breaking, won't achieve the stated 15 miles/day, and probably affect the quality of the tonneau cover.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The solar panel is mostly a marketing gimmick (and judging from the number of people taken in by it a good one - even though I know better I'll probably order it) and as such is not really for practical use. But assuming you can get 2 m^2 of cells on the tonneau with 1 kW/m^2 peak insolation and typical efficiency that would give you 250 - 300 watts. In June in Florida you would probably have 6 or 7 hours 1 kW/m^2 sun for up to 2100 kWh/da if the car were parked with the tonneau oriented south. Theoretically that might cover the vampire drain but is right on the edge. But you can't count on 7 hours per day. See the NREL map for your part of Florida. And you may not be able to park the vehicle oriented south with a clear view of the sky.

The glaringly obvious observation is that the truck would have to be parked outdoors the whole time exposing it to the elements. It would seem to me a much more practical solution would be to leave it in the garage plugged into a wall charger.

Anywhere in Florida to anywhere in Estrie is a long haul for sure but it's fun to drive these things and though I only go half (or less) as far: McLean, VA to Ogden, we always look forward to getting out on the road for the biannual migrations. And I just wouldn't feel comfortable with a brand new Tesla sitting in a garage for six months and even less so with one sitting in the driveway.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I will probably get it. I live in Massachusetts and although we have very little sunshine the high cost of electricity 0.25 / kWh (they post .10 but its actually .25 with delivery) makes Massachusetts a good place for solar.
Sponsored