How many CT3 reservation holders would change to a CT2 if only CT2 were produced for the first 18 months.

Would you change your reservation to the CT2 ($59,900, 320 miles, 4ws) if the CT3 wait time +18 mo.

• Total voters

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Answer this question from the perspective of a CT3 reservation holder or CT2 holder thinking about upgrading to a CT3, knowing the following:

This CT2 has a range of 320 miles and 4ws and the 2023 price listed is $59,900. The future CT3 price is not known yet but it won't be available to START production for 18 months after the CT2 starts.

Tesla will also make a quad motor Plaid during this period with a list price of $120,000 and acceleration of 2.4 and range of 500 miles and some other smaller gimmicks.

All CT3 reservations will be offered the chance to switch and keep their overall place in line.

The CT1 is still planned to be offered but also with undisclosed price and 18 plus months additional wait.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why do I think Tesla might do this?
1.) The price of the CT3 is too low for 500 miles of range. It will eat battery capacity and potentially cannibalize other higher priced Tesla models.
2.) Nobody else will be able to make a 500 mile range truck for less than $90k in volume, so why should Tesla if it hurts overall margins and total profitability?
3.) Tesla may want to avoid double stacking the battery pack on the mass produced CT3 and the technology is not there to do otherwise. (counter to Tesla's desire to limit production difficulties the Paid is double stacked, since the margin on the Plaid is 50%)
4.) Tesla will be battery constrained in 2023 -2026.
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
This is a tough decision. Don't really care so much about the 3rd motor (although I wouldn't mind the bragging rights), but I really do want 500 miles of range.

Would love if there was an option to up the battery on the CT2.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
1.) The price of the CT3 is too low for 500 miles of range. It will eat battery capacity and potentially cannibalize other higher priced Tesla models.
2.) Nobody else will be able to make a 500 mile range truck for less than $90k in volume, so why should Tesla if it hurts overall margins and total profitability?
I disagree the price is too low.
And Ram has advertised its EV truck will also get 500 miles of range. Given this , I voted for option 1 and expect the list price of the CT3 to $69900 as advertised.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
There's no options for 'that's to rich for my blood' or 'I didn't order a tri motor'?

-Crissa
I abstain. (dual motor reservation here). I would have voted to upgrade to triple or quad motor if the pricing stays the same and the motor variants shift down into the same pricing (ie. dual for single price, tri for dual price, etc.) as I believe that is more likely.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I disagree the price is too low.
And Ram has advertised its EV truck will also get 500 miles of range. Given this , I voted for option 1 and expect the list price of the CT3 to $69900 as advertised.
You can disagree all you want. The fact of the matter is the CT3 is too good at $69,900 plus some inflation. IT WILL NOT BE BUILT AT VOLUME AT THAT PRICE POINT IN THE NEXT 2 YEARS.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
There's no options for 'that's to rich for my blood' or 'I didn't order a tri motor'?

-Crissa
The poll was not intended for people who only ever wanted the CT2. I am trying to get the CT3 reservation holders to understand they may be in for a rude awakening in a battery constrained pricing environment.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The poll was not intended for people who only ever wanted the CT2. I am trying to get the CT3 reservation holders to understand they may be in for a rude awakening in a battery constrained pricing environment.
Then your poll is invalid, because not having opt out options means people will click one of the options.

-Crissa

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Then your poll is invalid, because not having opt out options means people will click one of the options.

-Crissa
Those days when Crissa is grumpy…😎

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
You are trying to get them to understand some hypothetical situation that you have created with entirely no facts or information to support? Good luck in this pointless exercise.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Ok I could add and opt out. IMHO walking away from a $100 reservation spot is pretty foolish. The look for alternatives is currently the opt out. Picky pollsters here.
Sponsored