How many miles per day on a strictly L2 charging network?

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
Can a Tri-Motor Cybertriuck safely travel ~250miles per day using an L2 charging regimen as follows?
Or is it more like 200miles per day?

1) 4-6 hours of normal driving + cabin conditioning, all-season conditions. (-40C to +40C)
2) 2-4 hours of lost time (not charging, not driving)
3) arrive at the destination with at least 50 miles of 'reserve".
4) 14-16 hours of L2 charging. with an aim to charge to at least 90%. If charge is too slow, stay one more night.

I have a premonition that Cybertruck on L2 cannot be on a daily driving cycle of ~250miles, more like 1 day driving, two days charging, because of L2 limitation (say 7kW/h). I am also inclined to think that 200 miles per day is also a safer distance to cover. That's a 60% battery de-rating.
Sponsored

Hazzzard122

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV ...wishing for my dual motor CT
Country flag
14 hour @ 7kw is 98kwh. Without knowing the size of the battery but assuming it’s 100kwh charging should be fine. Depending on the efficiency, type of driving etc you would likely be fine with that amount of driving, but again, it depends! Using Heated seats and steering wheel rather then the heat would also improve range, but Tesla runs on a heat pump so again... not so sure... TLDR; charging wise you should be fine, range for the day will depend

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
14 hour @ 7kw is 98kwh. Without knowing the size of the battery but assuming it’s 100kwh charging should be fine. Depending on the efficiency, type of driving etc you would likely be fine with that amount of driving, but again, it depends! Using Heated seats and steering wheel rather then the heat would also improve range, but Tesla runs on a heat pump so again... not so sure... TLDR; charging wise you should be fine, range for the day will depend
I like this number, easy to remember: 100kwh per day. Assuming that CT battery > 100KWh, which it is, L2 charging might require up to a full 24 hours of continuous L2 charging, wow.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Can a Tri-Motor Cybertriuck safely travel ~250miles per day using an L2 charging regimen as follows?
Or is it more like 200miles per day?

1) 4-6 hours of normal driving + cabin conditioning, all-season conditions. (-40C to +40C)
2) 2-4 hours of lost time (not charging, not driving)
3) arrive at the destination with at least 50 miles of 'reserve".
4) 14-16 hours of L2 charging. with an aim to charge to at least 90%. If charge is too slow, stay one more night.

I have a premonition that Cybertruck on L2 cannot be on a daily driving cycle of ~250miles, more like 1 day driving, two days charging, because of L2 limitation (say 7kW/h). I am also inclined to think that 200 miles per day is also a safer distance to cover. That's a 60% battery de-rating.
Those are pretty specific conditions.

Where in your travels are you going that you would not find any Level 3 Super Chargers along the way.

Have you looked at A Better Route Planner to get some calculations and potential trip data?

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Those are pretty specific conditions.

Where in your travels are you going that you would not find any Level 3 Super Chargers along the way.

Have you looked at A Better Route Planner to get some calculations and potential trip data?
I plan to cross Russia. Zero chargers in some places, only one SuperCharger (in Kazakhstan, Very Nice!!!) I have to install electrical outlets ahead of time. Thanks for the tip about A Better Route Planner.

Hazzzard122

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I like this number, easy to remember: 100kwh per day. Assuming that CT battery > 100KWh, which it is, L2 charging might require up to a full 24 hours of continuous L2 charging, wow.
I think the trick being to A: get the most powerful wall charger you can support and B: remember that you’re very unlikely to charge from empty... I drive a bolt and only use public charging, going to businesses that have a charger has become my preference. If I’m getting groceries, then either a level 2 for an hour while shopping easily adds what I used getting there and back, with the occasional level 3 fast charge for longer trips. The running it to empty then filling isn’t a thing that often with an EV, Always Be Charging is the ABC of driving an EV

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I plan to cross Russia. Zero chargers in some places, only one SuperCharger (in Kazakhstan, Very Nice!!!) I have to install electrical outlets ahead of time. Thanks for the tip about A Better Route Planner.
Yes, I am not sure what the electricity is like or how reliable it is in places, but having a EVSE that allows for different power and opportunistically charging where ever you can will help a lot.

From some quick research, it seems that Russian power is 220 @ 50hz and that there is the option of three phase in some places?

If you can ever find three phase and have a charger work with that, it would charge the Cybertruck much faster... just not sure how common that is? Or how easy it would be to find an EVSE that is compatible with the Cybertruck and take advantage of the three phase power.

It seems like if you could get one of these to be portable and not hardwired/wallmounted, that would be the thing...
https://evonestop.co.uk/collections...llpod-ev-3-phase-type-2-socket-3pole-isolator
but again, not sure if it would be worth it if three phase power is not that common.

Hazzzard122

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Where are you going to find some place to plug that in? An RV park's 50a plug won't do it, it'll melt,

-Crissa
It was in response to the charging need, not the travel charging need. For travelling through Russia and Kazakhstan, finding RV parks will likely also be tricky. Russia fortunately is on 220-240 voltage, so running a level 2 where you adapt the max amperage based on the circuit breakers in place will get some pretty good rates along the way :)

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Where are you going to find some place to plug that in? An RV park's 50a plug won't do it, it'll melt,

-Crissa
set the amps to 32a in the car in RV park.....I go to Borrego spring and camp.....I ask if I can pi=lug in for an hour or go bu when someone is leaving and ask if I can plug in....so far, no problem....I just have a tag on mobile charger to remind me to change car to 32amps

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
If you can, watch the series Long Way Up. Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Boorman attempt to ride electric Harley Davidsons while being supported by the earliest build Rivian trucks from Patagonia to Los Angeles. Rivian had to install charging points throughout some of the most isolated areas in South America for the bikes and the trucks just ahead of the attempt. As we say, the pioneers get the arrows and things were wonky despite all the prep work.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you can, watch the series Long Way Up. Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Boorman attempt to ride electric Harley Davidsons while being supported by the earliest build Rivian trucks from Patagonia to Los Angeles. Rivian had to install charging points throughout some of the most isolated areas in South America for the bikes and the trucks just ahead of the attempt. As we say, the pioneers get the arrows and things were wonky despite all the prep work.
we'll if you have enough money or sponsors to do the unpredictable, anything can happen....I di not expect Tesla to go out to BFE and install chargers just so someone can do something they thought of after a few margaritas
Sponsored