How many Miles Will my EV Get When Towing?

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
This is a great breakdown ICE vs BEV efficiencies in general. Thx!

The model he's running, I'd like to see what numbers it comes up with for an F-150 Lightning. If an Explorer is .4 Cd, then no way the Lightning will be under that lol.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I see so many add ons people are designing for the Cybertruck, and so many of them are super cool, but are also very likely to result in extremely disappointing hits to the truck range. Just having a couple bikes on a rack behind my Model Y is like a 15-20% hit to range. These big boxy camper shells, giant brush guard/ roll cage things, and other mods are very very likely to hit aerodynamics pretty hard.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I see so many add ons people are designing for the Cybertruck, and so many of them are super cool, but are also very likely to result in extremely disappointing hits to the truck range. Just having a couple bikes on a rack behind my Model Y is like a 15-20% hit to range. These big boxy camper shells, giant brush guard/ roll cage things, and other mods are very very likely to hit aerodynamics pretty hard.
When I first got on this board I was hot in pursuit of more range. I wanted over 1000 miles of range. So many people tried to tell me there was absolutely no need for such a thing. Maybe not for them. But I wanted to load up to go on long wilderness trips towing large trailers, and having lots of toys attached. I figured that with the extra weight/drag I’d be cutting my range to under 50% of the rated range. Combine that with the recommendation of not charging over 80% or under 20% and a 1000 mile range gets down to around 250 miles of reliable range. Suddenly big battery becomes a king maker.

I’m currently resigned to the 500+ (dare I hope for 610?) and will find ways to work within that. But if there is any way to extend, I will be keenly interested.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When I first got on this board I was hot in pursuit of more range. I wanted over 1000 miles of range. So many people tried to tell me there was absolutely no need for such a thing. Maybe not for them. But I wanted to load up to go on long wilderness trips towing large trailers, and having lots of toys attached. I figured that with the extra weight/drag I’d be cutting my range to under 50% of the rated range. Combine that with the recommendation of not charging over 80% or under 20% and a 1000 mile range gets down to around 250 miles of reliable range. Suddenly big battery becomes a king maker.

I’m currently resigned to the 500+ (dare I hope for 610?) and will find ways to work within that. But if there is any way to extend, I will be keenly interested.
Range is why I upgraded to tri motor.

Originally I was going to get the dual motor which is IMO the best value truck on the market. But after buying my Model Y and seeing what the impact of having just a couple bikes hanging off the back did to my range, I quickly realized that maybe I should upgrade.

Problem I have is I ride bike and it's almost certain I'll want to be traveling with bikes hanging off the back or maybe a camp trailer which is going to hurt range.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Range is why I upgraded to tri motor.

Originally I was going to get the dual motor which is IMO the best value truck on the market. But after buying my Model Y and seeing what the impact of having just a couple bikes hanging off the back did to my range, I quickly realized that maybe I should upgrade.

Problem I have is I ride bike and it's almost certain I'll want to be traveling with bikes hanging off the back or maybe a camp trailer which is going to hurt range.
I also upgraded to trimotor for the same reason. I'm hoping I can stay calm enough with the acceleration to avoid too many traffic tickets. But the superpower strength will be nice for offroad applications. Hope my heart doesn't give out from all the fun.

No-ICE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Tundra
Country flag
I am guessing a 500 mile range CT will only be able to go 300 miles towing a big box trailer. (Just an estimate).

Then taking into consideration you would not want go to a zero charge just as you arrive at a charging station, one must plan on making a charging stop every 270-280 miles of towing. Then you have to decide do I charge to 80% or wait the extra time to charge to 100% for the next leg of your towing journey?

A diesel pickup with a large gas tank (say 34 gal) can go 500 miles before refueling.

CT owners who plan to tow Big Box trailers on long trips will beed more “PULL-THRU” Super Charging stations. Hopefully over the next year or two Truck-Stops will add Tesla Super Charging for EVs with Trailers.

N.ICE

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
I just don't wanna be bald :-(

Last edited:

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Might reduce drag a little when you stick your head out the window. It’s a cheap way to increase range (so long as you were planning on driving with your head out the window the whole time anyhow)
Somehow I get the sense that a head sticking out an open window will cause more drag than what can be saved by shaving of the hair.

But it reminds me of the golf ball dimples that are supposed to bring better flight statistics.

The Corbin Sparrow experimented with that idea.

Tesla Cybertruck How many Miles Will my EV Get When Towing? 1646768022351

Not sure what effect such dimpling might have on a CT.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Somehow I get the sense that a head sticking out an open window will cause more drag than what can be saved by shaving of the hair.

But it reminds me of the golf ball dimples that are supposed to bring better flight statistics.

The Corbin Sparrow experimented with that idea.

1646768022351.jpeg

Not sure what effect such dimpling might have on a CT.
Not sure about drag, but it would be 5% more awesome. Dimples would be hard though… maybe glued on pimples?

Sure, if you keep your head INSIDE it’s less drag, but my model was assuming the head is outside for the whole drive. You’d probably want goggles.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Not sure about drag, but it would be 5% more awesome. Dimples would be hard though… maybe glued on pimples?

Sure, if you keep your head INSIDE it’s less drag, but my model was assuming the head is outside for the whole drive. You’d probably want goggles.
And perhaps a mouth guard unless you are really into insect protein stuck in your teeth.