How to interpret this "cold call" email from Tesla?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
So I got this both as a text message and an email today:

=================
"Happy Sunday! This is XXXX from Tesla. You took delivery of a model 3 a few years back, I hope you're loving your car! would you be interested in getting a trade-in estimate to see the value of your car, a test drive, or maybe obtaining information on our other models. If you are not interested please replied (not interested) Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Have a great day!"
=========

How should we interpret this?

Sales are declining and they're trying to expand them with current owners?

Desperate for used Teslas to sell?
Sponsored

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag

=================
"Happy Sunday! This is XXXX from Tesla. You took delivery of a model 3 a few years back, I hope you're loving your car! would you be interested in getting a trade-in estimate to see the value of your car, a test drive, or maybe obtaining information on our other models. If you are not interested please replied (not interested) Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Have a great day!"
=========

I think it is the latter. There are a lot of people who don't have the cash for a new Tesla but want one really bad.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Just direct marketing

Technically, 'Silver Bullet' Marketing directed exactly at you.. Like a Silver Bullet kills a vampire.

You have been identified as a candidate to upgrade… Congratulations you belong to a privileged Niche lol

Reading into it though… Austin is online, and Germany soon to follow.

Maybe we are seeing the first signs of the Tesla marketing avalanche about to hit the world.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

=================

Have a great day!"
=========

since the factories have every vehicle they make sold, they just want you to buy a new one after waiting a few months, thereby creating more profit for them while growing the used EV share.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I've gotten some interesting emails from Tesla after purchase, one was related to solar and asking if I'd help with a write in campaign.

If anything it's a sign that they are trying to meet demand and notice that your car is in their trade in market range (mileage, service record, etc). They probably want your trade in to sell to a new customer and hope you buy a new model.

At the end of the day, they're still a car company.

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
bruh....wtf is this thing lol

Screenshot_20220221-105331_Chrome.jpg
My first EV. They intend to deliver their first few lAutoCycles this year (2022). If the CT is the truck of the future the Aptera is the commuter vehicle and the RV dingy of the future.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

=================

Have a great day!"
=========

Toyota used to send us messages like that with our Sienna, It's business as usual. Bring in used vehicles as a trade-in, and Tesla makes 2 sales. Plus, they get you to come in and see all the latest extras that your 2018 doesn't have. Basically, their sales associates are supposed to be selling cars. Who knows maybe they're having a hard time getting people to place orders on vehicles that won't be delivered until next year. Maybe you are happy with your current car but will want to order a new one without minding the wait time. Call them and see. I live in Oxnard and the folks at Tesla, Santa Barbara called me within a month of my CT reservation, wanting me to come take a test drive. With you in Atascadero it's probably the same folks at Santa Barbara just doing their job.

Last edited:

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I got the same solicitation from Tesla right after I preordered my Cybertruck in May, 2021 to drive a Model 3.