ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
Any suggestions on how I can run a thin coax from inside the cabin to the outside for VHF/UHF/HF antennas?
I am thinking of using the Light Bar Accessory port and have the antennas mounted on roof rack rails (provided that the rails are electrically connected to the chassis)

I still prefer running the coax to the bed area since it has a better ground plane but have no idea if there is an elegant way that doesn't involve drilling....

For 12V power I am thinking of using a small LIFEPO 12V battery that is charged by USB-C (15V/3A)

Tesla Cybertruck How to route an antenna cable? 1708656332664
Sponsored

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Any suggestions on how I can run a thin coax from inside the cabin to the outside for VHF/UHF/HF antennas?
I am thinking of using the Light Bar Accessory port and have the antennas mounted on roof rack rails (provided that the rails are electrically connected to the chassis)

I still prefer running the coax to the bed area since it has a better ground plane but have no idea if there is an elegant way that doesn't involve drilling....

For 12V power I am thinking of using a small LIFEPO 12V battery that is charged by USB-C (15V/3A)

1708656332664.png
I'm pretty sure that my VHF/UHF antennas are going to get mounted on the hood with a trunk lip mount. There's a ground plane there and none on the roof.
For HF, still thinking, maybe hitch, maybe crossbars.
Radios probably in the frunk with heads inside.
I believe that there is power in the frunk and a 48V-12V inverter should do the trick.

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm pretty sure that my VHF/UHF antennas are going to get mounted on the hood with a trunk lip mount. There's a ground plane there and none on the roof.
I believe that there is power in the frunk and a 48V-12V inverter should do the trick.
Hitch mount always looks good. :) IMHO, best place would be on the truck bed sides, but the top is plastic, might involve drilling and could be unstable.
Tesla Cybertruck How to route an antenna cable? 1708723456192

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Hitch mount always looks good. :) IMHO, best place would be on the truck bed sides, but the top is plastic, might involve drilling and could be unstable.
1708723456192.png
If mounting on the roof, I've already thought about the Larsen thru-glass antennas. I've used a number of them and always had good luck. They aren't as common as they once were, but they are still sold.

It might be a lot of work getting the antenna from the bed into the passenger compartment. The tonneau cover makes most of the area unusable.

I'm wondering how hard it will be to go from the frunk into the cab. Or in other words, is there really a firewall still there?

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
>I'm wondering how hard it will be to go from the frunk into the cab. Or in other words, is there really >a firewall still there?

See the cable marked with blue, it penetrates the firewall. Dunno if the same pathway can be used, I am sure it is waterproofed somehow. 1st picture I took it at the GigaFactory, looks like the 'firewall' has a lot of holes, at least at this stage. You can see cable harness in both pictures. The 2nd picture is in a teardown youtube video called "dissecting Cybertruck Part 2", very infornmative

Tesla Cybertruck How to route an antenna cable? 1708746071925

Tesla Cybertruck How to route an antenna cable? 1708745609645

Tesla Cybertruck How to route an antenna cable? 1708745778423

Last edited:

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is the wiring in the back of the cybertruck. Also shows the warterproofing.
Tesla Cybertruck How to route an antenna cable? 1708746279761

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
All this empty space on each side.
Room for a compressor? and an air tank on the other side?

Tesla Cybertruck How to route an antenna cable? Rear CHassie and wiring 2

tbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F150 Lariat - Cybertruck Res #113xxx
Country flag
If mounting on the roof, I've already thought about the Larsen thru-glass antennas. I've used a number of them and always had good luck. They aren't as common as they once were, but they are still sold.

It might be a lot of work getting the antenna from the bed into the passenger compartment. The tonneau cover makes most of the area unusable.

I'm wondering how hard it will be to go from the frunk into the cab. Or in other words, is there really a firewall still there?
I would check on the roof glass of the CT before going that route. If there is any metallic tinting in or on the glass, it will cause issues - probably leading to the inside cable and coil acting as your longwire antenna.

tbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F150 Lariat - Cybertruck Res #113xxx
Country flag
Love this idea!

The 48V wire is in the right-front wheel well and is accessible behind the panel in the frunk.

I was thinking about a cross bar for antennas - simply to get them higher, but agree that my 2M/70cm antennas will most-likely be on the frunk.

I also think that nice open area in front the center console is a good place for a cabinet to mount the radio heads, mics, and speaker if you want).

Lots of possibilities with the CT.

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All this empty space on each side.
Room for a compressor? and an air tank on the other side?

Rear CHassie and wiring 2.png
Progressive crash structure? Still, it looks very strange, the orange gap is huge.
Sponsored