OHRJR

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Escalade ESV
Country flag
I want to thank everybody that helped me on me previous post. I have decided to place an order for a Model Y Performance. Im just deciding on color now, between black and white. While I do that, I was wondering if I could bother you all for some more input please. I was planning on putting 15k down; however, I just saw that Tesla might split its stock. Im not too big into investing, but I am curious on what you all would do with the 15k. Would you put it as a down payment towards the MYP? By TSLA stock? Buy Bitcoin? Or a combination of two or three? As before, any and all opinions are welcome and much appreciated.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Lol MYP buddies. Just got a white with white interior when the order books in AU opened yesterday morning. I'd definitely go white, no price increase for the paint which then pays for the white interior, and the best range in warmer and even cooler climates because of reduced heat load the A/C has to deal with. Black exterior and interior is the worst for MPGe.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I want to thank everybody that helped me on me previous post. I have decided to place an order for a Model Y Performance. Im just deciding on color now, between black and white. While I do that, I was wondering if I could bother you all for some more input please. I was planning on putting 15k down; however, I just saw that Tesla might split its stock. Im not too big into investing, but I am curious on what you all would do with the 15k. Would you put it as a down payment towards the MYP? By TSLA stock? Buy Bitcoin? Or a combination of two or three? As before, any and all opinions are welcome and much appreciated.
Bitcoin isn't an investment.... It is a price speculation. Most speculation fails so avoid it. You could buy some Tesla stock but maybe also invest in other worthy companies to diversify your risk? Vanguard has some very great managed mutual funds that are diversified and profitable.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wouldnā€™t do anything till the fed is done raising interest rates and selling off assets and the Ukrainian war is over.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I wouldnā€™t do anything till the fed is done raising interest rates and selling off assets and the Ukrainian war is over.
Alas, that may be a long wait.

Personally, $15k is my 'I will not invest if I don't have this liquid'. That's savings account, money market account numbers. What's over that can go into 401/savings/investments.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Donā€™t take investment advice over the internet. Including this one.

I would patiently invest at appropriate times that fit my situation. Do your comfort risk level.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
You are asking if you should buy a new car or invest in TSLA stock?

Does not compute, two totally different things!

My rule of thumb in life was (and still would be) to never buy a brand new vehicle until I had, not only enough money to pay cash, but also that the cash outlay would be 10% or less of my total savings. New vehicles are an expensive luxury compared to a good used car, current oddity of used Tesla selling for more than the original purchase price aside.

While saving money to build a decent retirement it's best to forgo expensive luxuries and focus on saving money/investing for the future. That way you will not be cash constrained for your entire life. I didn't buy my first new car until I was 32 years old and my retirement savings were on a strong path, even after the withdrawal for the car purchase. And that new car was a two year old left-over model that was selling for a very substantial discount. Now I can buy any car I want, anytime I want to, without concern. This would not have been possible if I had given in to my every want before I had built a sustainable nest egg.

In case I've misunderstood the question, TSLA stock is a screaming buy right now assuming you intend to hold it for a minimum of two years. I also think it's likely a screaming short-term speculation right now but that I am not nearly as certain with as I am with the longer-term value. Because the market only becomes predictable once the short-term noise is filtered out. And the only way to do that is to hold for a long enough period that the short-term noise is naturally filtered out. Two years is long enough that most market gyrations are filtered mostly out without being so long that you are losing out on too much market opportunity.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Donā€™t take investment advice over the internet. Including this one.

I would patiently invest at appropriate times that fit my situation. Do your comfort risk level.
I see it a little differently. In the end you still have to make a rational decision, no one can make decisions for you. But that doesn't mean it's not wise to consider all advice as you formulate your decision. Some advice can be discounted to zero, etc., it's always up to you.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I see it a little differently. In the end you still have to make a rational decision, no one can make decisions for you. But that doesn't mean it's not wise to consider all advice as you formulate your decision. Some advice can be discounted to zero, etc., it's always up to you.
We do not have enough information to provide informed advice. My situation, I would invest since I am comfortable investing, I do not need a new vehicle at the moment, and other than mortgage, do not carry any real debt.

Qualified advice requires validation before consideration can be made. None of us provided the validation.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We do not have enough information to provide informed advice. My situation, I would invest since I am comfortable investing, I do not need a new vehicle at the moment, and other than mortgage, do not carry any real debt.

Qualified advice requires validation before consideration can be made. None of us provided the validation.
True, that's why the OP needs to consider each response for what it's worth and make up his own mind. I definitely see that such widely varying advice, as was provided, could assist in the decision-making process.

You advised the OP to not take advice offered on the Internet, including your own advice. It makes me wonder why you bothered to give it, LOL!

OP
OP

OHRJR

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Escalade ESV
Country flag
Thank you everybody for the input. So to clarify, I have decided to buy the Model Y already. The question is basically, should I put 15k down to bring my payment lower? Or, 0 down and invest the 15k in either some bitcoin or tesla stock or a combination of those options. Im just curious what your opinions are, like what you would do and why. The plan is to invest in something and hold onto it for 5 or more years. Or until CT comes out, maybe šŸ˜Ž

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
True, that's why the OP needs to consider each response for what it's worth and make up his own mind. I definitely see that such widely varying advice, as was provided, could assist in the decision-making process.

You advised the OP to not take advice offered on the Internet, including your own advice. It makes me wonder why you bothered to give it, LOL!
You are just being argumentative and skewing what I wrote. Good day.
Sponsored