Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I have a model S with FSD. You are absolutely right. It is nerve racking!
The car tries to drive itself but where I live (central California), there is no way for my poor car can successfully contend with the crazy aggressive drivers who continuously surround me on the streets. Until their cars are as curtious as the Tesla tries to be, it will not work. Even in the ā€œaggressive modeā€ the carā€™s behavior only frustrates everyone around you so your constantly having people honk their horns or give you the lookšŸ˜”
Then thereā€™s also the problem the car has in city traffic with intersections and turning. It disengages itself more often than not when attempting those maneuvers.
i also have a few roundabouts in my area that the car just canā€™t handle. It never successfully gets through one. Without giving up and disengaging itself.
It is certainly more effort and stress trying to let the car try to do its thing but be prepared to take over immediately when it decides it canā€™t handle the situation..
Sounds like you're not on beta tbh lol
Sponsored

Michael Dobbs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, model 3 and model S
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Country flag
No, I have FSD beta on my S. Have had it for maybe 10 months nowā€¦.

Michael Dobbs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, model 3 and model S
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Country flag
The car shows you whoā€™s behind you. And they let you know they are there because they are blowing their horn at you.
The car drives itself like a 90 year old with bad eyesight. Iā€™m not saying it shouldnā€™t behave that way. Iā€™m saying it infuriates all if the drivers around you.
I put in a suggestion about a year ago to have blue lights on each corner of the car that you be on if the car was driving itself. So people around you would possibly have some explanation and compassion as to why your driving so tentatively.
I am actually embarrassed when Iā€™m behind the wheel and the car is in FSD. It makes it look to the other drivers like I donā€™t know what im doing.
i Guess i should stop trying to explain it.
Order it on your next Tesla and decide for yourself if you want to use it. Or if you wasted $15k

Idrenak

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
I don't intend to use it at all. In fact I didn't even order it. I still enjoy driving and like being in control. I could see no point in paying for something to take over what I enjoy doing.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I would only use it if all of the following conditions were met:

• It was working; FULL self-driving with me in the back seat.
  • Liability was with the provider of the service/software
  • cost was reasonable ($15K for the life of the vehicle is reasonable).
  • I had lost my drivers license due to old age

or

• It was free
  • I was on a long distance road trip
  • It was mostly working
  • Liability was shared

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
There was a time when we didnā€™t trust the adaptive cruise control. And for good reason! Now, I donā€™t stress in the M3/MY in any kind of traffic.

Right now, FSD does a pretty good job, but we arenā€™t used to it, and it makes us nervous. And for a good reason. In a few years, it wonā€™t be a big deal.

But imagine this scenario. Your CT departs your office to go pick up your 12 year old daughter from school. When you summon the CT to come pick you up from work, it tells you it will be an hour before the CT gets to you! Why??? Because the CT is all the way on the other end of town at some mall and your daughter is shopping and hanging out with friends! You locked the destination to only take her home, but Jason (that little bastard!) showed your little princess how to hack the destination lock! And now she has full ā€œElon Modeā€ access! And before you can get the CT to leave the mall and pick you up, that SOB Jason (who is 13yo) and your princess are sitting in the back bench seat on the way to a frigginā€™ WATERPARK! You try to override their destination but that freakinā€™ weasel JASON has locked you out of your own dang car! SONOFA..

And you will wish for the good olā€™ days when you made 3 car payments instead of 1 and you paid for a babysitter to make sure that Jason stayed away from your house when your daughter was home.
You're left fuming, pacing outside your office, every bone in your body itching to give Jason a piece of your mind. But first, you need a ride, and the public transport system isn't particularly famous for its punctuality.
Remembering that Tim, a colleague of yours, lives nearby and has always been fascinated by your CT, you give him a call. "Hey, Tim. Need a favor. Can you drop me off at the waterpark?"
"You mean the new one across town? What are you doing there?" He asks with amusement.
"Long story. Let's just say I'll tell you all about it on the way."
Arriving at the waterpark, you're both taken aback by the massive lines and the unmistakable silhouette of your CT in the parking lot. Jason, that little genius of mischief, even managed to snag a prime parking spot. And there they are, giggling away, Jason and your princess, armed with water guns, already drenched head to toe.
You make a beeline for them. Jason spots you first, his eyes widening in horror. Your daughter, on the other hand, tries her best innocent look, "Hey Dad! Surprise?"
"Surprise? You commandeered my car! And Jason," you point at the little delinquent, "What on earth were you thinking?"
Jason gulps, "Well, sir, I just thought I'd show her some of the car's features."
You raise an eyebrow. "By hacking into it?"
Tim, ever the peacekeeper, intervenes, "Hey, kids, why don't you get some snacks while I chat with your dad?"
With the two away, Tim laughs. "You know, it's kind of impressive what they did. And your daughter seems happy. Remember when we were that age?"
"Yeah, yeah," you grumble. "But that doesn't mean I can't give Jason a stern talking-to. Maybe even ask him to mow my lawn for a month or two."
The evening ends with you enjoying the waterpark's lazy river, reflecting on the chaos of adolescence and technology. Your CT might be state of the art, but you realize nothing's quite as unpredictable as a pair of mischievous teens.
A few weeks later, you're still on the fence about the "Elon Mode," but you're definitely keeping a closer eye on your daughter's tech-savvy friends. And Jason? He's learned his lesson. Especially after you've had him not just mowing the lawn, but washing the CT every weekend for two months straight.
The bright side? Your lawn has never looked better, and the CT? Well, it's never been shinier.

sstevens805

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DM 2021 MY & '69 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Country flag
I would love to use FSD but don't know that I can trust it. Many roadways in central and southern Ca are perpetually under construction and just generally half-assed. Not sure if my experiences with autopilot count, but my Y has gotten confused or just given control back over to me several times without warning. How have you guys fared with FSD on poorly marked roads or in construction zones?
Sponsored