Sponsored

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
It doesn't get better fuel economy partly because itā€™s hauling around 500 pounds of battery and electric drivetrain components and partly because this seems to be a poor implementation of hybrid power in the Tacoma. It's also not any faster for the same reasons. On paper it should thump the non hybrid version in most every situation but based on the reviews so far it's just not happening.

I'm guessing the hp/torque advantage shown on paper must have been in very unique and short circumstances. In other words Toyota must have created a best case scenario on the dyno just long enough to get the numbers because clearly its not capable of sustaining them long enough to increase time to distance numbers.

If you want a TRD Pro or Trail Hunter the Max comes along with it and those trucks are "maybe" special enough to put up with all the downsides of electrification. Choosing Max powertrain for any other trim level seems pointless. You would have to just really want that battery bad in any other trim. It's not saving the planet, it's not really any faster, and I think it may actually get worse but definitely not better mileage because it's so damn heavy.

Last edited:

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
Little known secret, the best model is the OR in SO with the standard size bed. Best mix of everything and the SO paint increases its mileage. Those that have them know and wonā€™t tell us. Shsssssh.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Not sure what the point of the hybrid is if it gets the same fuel economy and 0-60 time for more money?

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Its a limited...I bet its the porker of the line up...The Hybrid system was not designed to increase MPGs but to increase HP/TQ...

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its a limited...I bet its the porker of the line up...The Hybrid system was not designed to increase MPGs but to increase HP/TQ...
Yes and it may do that on paper but that "advantage" doesn't appear to make much difference in the way the truck actually performs.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
so you get extra hp/tq to haul around the battery and electric motor. You lose the storage under the back seat and you have to pay more.

I was curious about the hybrid. But after seeing everything on paper Iā€™m happy with my decision of going with the base turbo. Maybe there are some advantages that Iā€™m not seeing but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s worth the extra cost.

TBH Iā€™d prefer if Toyota offered another gas engine size. A 2.7 liter turbo as an example. Like the Chev or GMC. To give you extra hp/tq.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This video mentioned that the non hybrid limited gets full time 4x4. I believe that is false info. My understanding is only the hybrid limited comes with full time 4x4ā€¦
Correct. My non hybrid limited has part time 4wd.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
This video mentioned that the non hybrid limited gets full time 4x4. I believe that is false info. My understanding is only the hybrid limited comes with full time 4x4ā€¦
I heard that also. Your correct that the non-hybrid is only part-time.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
Yes and it may do that on paper but that "advantage" doesn't appear to make much difference in the way the truck actually performs.
If you do a lot of in-town driving, you should notice a difference. Out on the interstate or off-road, not so much. For me, it's worth it; on winter fuel, my Tundra gets 11-12 mpg, and I do a lot of short trips. It's also useful in traffic where you can just move along on battery power.

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
It doesn't get better fuel economy partly because itā€™s hauling around 500 pounds of battery and electric drivetrain components and partly because this seems to be a poor implementation of hybrid power in the Tacoma. It's also not any faster for the same reasons. On paper it should thump the non hybrid version in most every situation but based on the reviews so far it's just not happening.

I'm guessing the hp/torque advantage shown on paper must have been in very unique and short circumstances. In other words Toyota must have created a best case scenario on the dyno just long enough to get the numbers because clearly its not capable of sustaining them long enough to increase time to distance numbers.

If you want a TRD Pro or Trail Hunter the Max comes along with it and those trucks are "maybe" special enough to put up with all the downsides of electrification. Choosing Max powertrain for any other trim level seems pointless. You would have to just really want that battery bad in any other trim. It's not saving the planet, it's not really any faster, and I think it may actually get worse but definitely not better mileage because it's so damn heavy.
Yeah, its definitely not saving the planet. If you really babied it maybe you could achieve its published numbers but thats easier done in a Prius. I think the F-150 hybrid gets better numbers. Crazy.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do yall think torque only means faster 0-60?

Its massively useful offroad. The lack of turbo lag and instant torque on the low end is the purpose. The hybrid powertrain also comes with 2400w, larger brakes, tires, and others
Sponsored