I am concerned the Single Motor CT will never happen.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am looking at the current Tesla page.....every vehicle is now dual motor. Not 1 is available in a single motor configuration anymore (which were the least expensive models)

Every single motor version has been discontinued. Will this happen to the CT considering the low volume of Single Motor pre orders?
Sponsored

Yakuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Datsun
Country flag
Of course it will be cancelled. A vehicle with all the amazing alien tech of the CT will cost more than 39k. Convince yourself “but it’s flat and the new batteries will be cheap” only to be disappointed.

And yes single motor is by far the lowest demanded and likely lowest yielding of them all. Tesla did the bait and switch with the 3 and Y, saying the lowest prices would happen but of course did not. Elon’s comment of “250 isn’t enough” is the nail in the coffin. And sandy Munro said he doesn’t see all of it happening for 39k (specifically regarding suspension).

fortunately dual motor is only 10k more. If tesla can use the same powertrain and batteries here as the x and s, they will do so.

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
I doubt that’s going to happen. Tesla is configuring a single motor Model Y as we speak. I expect it to go on sale by the end of September. It will have a lower price point to make it more affordable.

https://insideevs.com/news/433666/tesla-model-y-single-motor-rwd-300-miles/
This. They might cancel the 250 mile version if it can't reach 300 miles with the new battery tech but use a bigger battery. The Model Y will come RWD(China Model 3 has an option as well for RWD). So the RWD option is reserved for their low tier cars.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I am looking at the current Tesla page.....every vehicle is now dual motor. Not 1 is available in a single motor configuration anymore (which were the least expensive models)

Every single motor version has been discontinued. Will this happen to the CT considering the low volume of Single Motor pre orders?
I'd say you're right....low demand compared to the other 2 variants won't help.....

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

I think they will continue with the single motor, and I don’t think that Tesla is motivated by money. They are motivated by trying to bring about social change and one way is to move society toward more sustainable vehicle use. There are many truck drivers that don’t need or want the performance or range of the dual or tri motor. What I ‘do’ think will happen is that the single motor will get 300+ miles per charge because Elon has stated that that is the new minimum. Keep the faith, I think they will have a single motor and, if they announce it at 300+ miles, I think many more orders will come in.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⌕䞫⻏?ć°șă‚»ć°șă„©âŒ•é•ż
Country flag
I just went to the main tesla cybertruck site, all 3 versions r there for preorder.

its sittin at like only 8% of reservations, last time I looked.
thats like 50k trucks, or 2 billion dollars. if they canceled it like the 35k model3, I personally think they would be missing out on a good amount of sales, but who knows.

I wonder how much more they make on the duel motor. maybe 6k more?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Here is my best guess. The Single Motor model will be similar to the $36,200 (with destination fee) Standard Range Model 3. This is the model thats not advertised on the web site and can only be ordered off-menu from Tesla. The Model 3 Standard Range actually starts out as a Standard Range Plus, then gets software changes to reduce range and remove certain features, as well as a de-contented interior.

The Standard Range looks similar to a Standard Range Plus model, but the price difference between the two variants is evident in the details. On the Standard Range, trim pieces replace the fog lights used on other models, and the car has rear speaker grilles, but no speakers. The base Model 3 also lacks floor mats.

Like the Model 3 Standard Range Tesla might manufacture the Single Motor to be so basic (think stripper with vinyl seats, rubber floors covering, steel wheels, etc.) that it will only appeal to commercial and fleet customers.

Last edited:

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Here is my best guess. The Single Motor model will be similar to the $36,200 (with destination fee) Standard Range Model 3. This is the model thats not advertised on the web site and can only be ordered off-menu from Tesla. The Model 3 Standard Range actually starts out as a Standard Range Plus, then gets software changes to reduce range and remove certain features, as well as a de-contented interior.

The Standard Range looks similar to a Standard Range Plus model, but the price difference between the two variants is evident in the details. On the Standard Range, trim pieces replace the fog lights used on other models, and the car has rear speaker grilles, but no speakers. The base Model 3 also lacks floor mats.

Like the Model 3 Standard Range Tesla might manufacture the Single Motor to be so basic (think stripper with vinyl seats, rubber floors covering, steel wheels, etc.) that it will only appeal to commercial and fleet customers.
+1... I think its going to be off menu as well. We already know its supposedly last in line, so we are looking at 3 -4 years after initial launch anyway.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

Not true. Standard range plus model 3 is RWD single motor. Also they are about to launch a RWD single motor model Y.

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think what will probably happen is that there will be a dual motor variation that becomes available for say, 44k, with 300 miles and then they'll offer a long range one (350-400mi for 49k) if and when/if they decide to drop the single motor. That's how they did it with the others. Eliminate them along with a price cut of existing models.

As someone who lives in 'Truckland' I can tell you that very few consumer trucks get sold without 4wd. The main purchasers of 2wd trucks are fleets. Most consumers want 4wd on their trucks. This includes trucks outside the snow belt. I go down to Arkansas and Oklahoma all the time and it's VERY rare to see a consumer pickup without 4wd.

The main reason I could see the single motor surviving is if it's used as a low cost robotaxi or some other kind of fleet option. There is demand for 2wd trucks for fleets so that could be 'savior' for the single motor.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
A computer is built with slots for varying amounts of RAM. When you order one they plug in the amount of RAM you want. If you only need the minimum you are paying for extra circuit board space and sockets you won't ever use. But you may well not even be aware of this and in any case the cost of that stuff in not enough to raise the cost of the bare bones computer enough to discourage you from buying it. The manufacturer builds the same computer for two sets of customers - those that want little memory and those that want lots. His marginal cost for satisfying the high memory customer is the cost of the addtional memory and the labor to plug it in.

If Tesla builds the single and dual motor CTs using this same concept, that is, if the cost of a second motor is that of the motor plus the labor to "plug it in" there is essentially no marginal cost associated with making both models available and Tesla will very probably do it.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think what will probably happen is that there will be a dual motor variation that becomes available for say, 44k, with 300 miles and then they'll offer a long range one (350-400mi for 49k) if and when/if they decide to drop the single motor. That's how they did it with the others. Eliminate them along with a price cut of existing models.

As someone who lives in 'Truckland' I can tell you that very few consumer trucks get sold without 4wd. The main purchasers of 2wd trucks are fleets. Most consumers want 4wd on their trucks. This includes trucks outside the snow belt. I go down to Arkansas and Oklahoma all the time and it's VERY rare to see a consumer pickup without 4wd.

The main reason I could see the single motor surviving is if it's used as a low cost robotaxi or some other kind of fleet option. There is demand for 2wd trucks for fleets so that could be 'savior' for the single motor.
I see a lot of trucks on the road here in the SF Bay Area. The bigger 4X trucks look to be contractors but there are LOTS of 2X trucks used by the people working for contractors, younger people, etc. This is a geographic area that never sees extreme weather so the truck needs good ground clearance and traction but not the performance of a 4X. Range Requirements for people in the Bay Area, or any metropolitan area, are lower too. I definitely see a place for a single motor CT but you may be right.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads