I am not a truck guy, but i want the Cybertruck....should I get it?

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Only thing that might hold ya off is Size.
IF your not used to something this big.
But it wont take ya long to get used to it. Just take it easy at first.
I love trucks. Had iszu pup, ( really small pickup ), Dodge Ram 1500 and currently Ford Expedition LE.
Not many but I do keep them a long time.
Wife has Mini's, yes said mini's. :)
Ya get used to size with a bit of time.
That’s what she said.
Sponsored

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It's $100 to make a reservation and if you haven't made one yet, you're more than 700k in line. If you're lucky, your reservation number will come up sometime in late 2023 or 2024. You'll have plenty of time to see the CT in action, rent one, test drive one etc before your reservation comes due. Nobody can tell you what to do BUT I can tell you that for $100 you'd be silly to keep waiting if you think there's EVEN A CHANCE you'll want to buy one.

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry 2018
Occupation
Janitorial and Cleaning Company
Country flag
I have been watching the CT since its debut and admit I hated the look. But within 48 hours i grew to love it and put in my reservation for a dual motor. But should I actually get this?

Convince me yay or nay.

A little bit about me:
I have always appreciated cars and love cars but i am conservative with my money. So i always have reasonably price cars with good gas mileage. I typically have had small cars, sport sedans and a roadster because I like how they handle and zip around. I have only bought manuals and it is harder to buy a traditional manual now. If I can't buy a manual, then my only other option (in my opinion) is a Tesla for the joy of driving. I am in a better place now and vowed to get myself something out of my comfort level next time.
I work an office job and now with COVID and post COVID, i am a permanent WFH person. So my commute is gone and I rarely drive now, so gas mileage isn't a necessity anymore.

I have always like trucks but couldn't stand the ride quality and the gas efficiencies. Then comes the CT and we know it is efficient. I don't know about the ride and handling until i drive it. I consider myself an amateur handyman for things around my house and my trips to Lowes sucks in my little car. I would like to do more projects and a truck would be handy but a Full size truck maybe overkill. A Tacoma or a Jeep Gladiator would suffice my needs in reality and they both come in manuals.

So do I go all out and get the CT when my turn is up just because I want it? I just love the technology. Sure i can get a model Y but I believe they are basically the same price for the Mid Level trims, so why not just get the CT?

Or do I get a used beater Tacoma or Gladiator for my truck needs and when the $25k Tesla comes out get that for my daily driver and keep up with the small zippy trend? If i find an older Tacoma, the purchase price could net out the same for two cars than one CT.

This is where my head is. Even though it is probably a year out till my turn for a CT is a reality, I am just thinking ahead.
I know asking this question on a CT forum will draw bias opinions but still asking :)

So Yay or Nay?

Thanks in advance
If you have not put in a reservation yet - this is a moot point.
I have two on order - one is 86314 and the other is 597632
The CyberTruck will pay for itself by renting it out and charging people for rides.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I wouldn’t put money on that @Crissa but we can hope as that is free.
I'd put my money on this coming to a close in the fall....I won't get my shot until around March..... expectations are for September in Canada...I'd expect US role out to take longer with the mess that country is in.

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have been watching the CT since its debut and admit I hated the look. But within 48 hours i grew to love it and put in my reservation for a dual motor. But should I actually get this?

Convince me yay or nay.

A little bit about me:
I have always appreciated cars and love cars but i am conservative with my money. So i always have reasonably price cars with good gas mileage. I typically have had small cars, sport sedans and a roadster because I like how they handle and zip around. I have only bought manuals and it is harder to buy a traditional manual now. If I can't buy a manual, then my only other option (in my opinion) is a Tesla for the joy of driving. I am in a better place now and vowed to get myself something out of my comfort level next time.
I work an office job and now with COVID and post COVID, i am a permanent WFH person. So my commute is gone and I rarely drive now, so gas mileage isn't a necessity anymore.

I have always like trucks but couldn't stand the ride quality and the gas efficiencies. Then comes the CT and we know it is efficient. I don't know about the ride and handling until i drive it. I consider myself an amateur handyman for things around my house and my trips to Lowes sucks in my little car. I would like to do more projects and a truck would be handy but a Full size truck maybe overkill. A Tacoma or a Jeep Gladiator would suffice my needs in reality and they both come in manuals.

So do I go all out and get the CT when my turn is up just because I want it? I just love the technology. Sure i can get a model Y but I believe they are basically the same price for the Mid Level trims, so why not just get the CT?

Or do I get a used beater Tacoma or Gladiator for my truck needs and when the $25k Tesla comes out get that for my daily driver and keep up with the small zippy trend? If i find an older Tacoma, the purchase price could net out the same for two cars than one CT.

This is where my head is. Even though it is probably a year out till my turn for a CT is a reality, I am just thinking ahead.
I know asking this question on a CT forum will draw bias opinions but still asking :)

So Yay or Nay?

Thanks in advance
I have had 5 pickups in my life so I am partial to ANY truck. I live in the land with so much sun (NV) I don't want to waste it. I have solar on the house and I want to add more panels to charge me up from ol sol. So if I drifted away from buying a truck or not, I am going to tell you to get one!

mlhartley

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD, 2017 Chevrolet Volt,
Occupation
Retired Web Programmer
Country flag
I am not really a truck guy, but I have owned a couple of Ford Rangers ('93 and '96). I really miss the convenience of a truck (ever try to put pine straw bales in a Prius?). I swore I would not own another truck until I could get an electric. I ordered a dual-motor on the night of the debut. Can't wait to get it.

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I can tell you that for $100 you'd be silly to keep waiting if you think there's EVEN A CHANCE you'll want to buy one.

The $100 is refundable and you should be able to see and test drive a CT by 2023 or earlier. That means that if you decide not to buy one you will be out the interest you could have earned on the $100. Big deal, ten dollars or so. What you will gain if you decide to buy is getting your CT months sooner. I don't know how fast reservations are coming in but you are probably falling behind at least a week for every month you wait to pull the trigger

Emrys

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've seen pics of the camper version, and that's what I want. Very cool to go around the country, hike trails at National and State parks, etc. and upon return just whip up something scrumptious and then zonk out! No checking in-out/paying for motels, etc.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I am a truck guy, I like being elevated in my seat and have a Toyota Tundra as my daily driver. I used to lease a Model S for a couple of years when I lived in Arizona and was too low for my liking, the rest of the vehicle i liked. I have rented a Model X for a week to get the feel of it and hated the FWDs.

The CT will be my daily driver and consider it more to be a new classification of vehicle, some thing between a truck and SUV

I will probably buy a Tri motor unless the Dual motor has 400 miles of range and I will buy that

Don't assume your Reservation number means anything when it comes to when you will get your CT. With Tesla all the reservation is you telling Tesla you want to buy a CT, you havn't made a commitment of any kind

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Cybertruck Owner!
Country flag
If you put your preorder in 48 hours after the reveal then I suspect you are relatively early and could buy the truck and sell it for at least what you paid (if not a modest profit) if you don’t like it...at least for a period of time while it’s still new and people are years down the waiting list.

Others agree or disagree?

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I'm not what you'd call a truck guy either. I'm barely what you'd call a driver.

When I just park it outside my door -- to look at -- that for me will be money well spent!

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
I'm not a truck guy. But I'm getting one.

...But only because I want to haul things. I already have a Zero and I really want an Aptera for trips that are longer. The truck will be for hauling things and battery backup ^-^

-Crissa
I second this action (y)(y)(y)

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
@TheLastStarfighter nails Cybertruck - the phenomenon.

“I’m not a truck guy. I’m a Cybertruck guy” - thelaststarfighter

It’s a meme that hits the vehicle’s attraction and popularity

edit: typo
Sponsored

Last edited: