I have CT reserved, but I rented a Y on Turo. My thoughts - and yours :)

TexasTesla

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I purchased the Y last October. I just turned over 25,000 miles this morning. I’ve been all over the country in it, 90% or more using AutoSteer, and though it’s not perfect, it’s so much better than any lane assist software I’ve had in the past. When I made the purchase it was my intent to sell it when the CT arrives, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. We’ll be a Y and CT family. Go for it, you only live once ?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
What makes you like it? I can appreciate the 'only goes when you tell it to' part, tho.
I love knowing juice is going back into the battery. I also loved knowing I didn't have to (hardly) use my brakes and wear them down. After 3 days with it, it just felt natural to me. Driving was easier, imo.

I purchased the Y last October. I just turned over 25,000 miles this morning. I’ve been all over the country in it, 90% or more using AutoSteer, and though it’s not perfect, it’s so much better than any lane assist software I’ve had in the past. When I made the purchase it was my intent to sell it when the CT arrives, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. We’ll be a Y and CT family. Go for it, you only live once ?
I agree with you in that auto steer is not perfect. I'd say I used it an hour in total on the freeway - when a lane marker disappears, or veers off to the right, the car had an issue with it. Overall, easy and less stressful driving.

Exciting news: I ended up ordering one about 10 mins ago! Exact same config as I rented. I was so sad to give it back this morning. I figure I have 4 months to decide if I want it, and for some reason if my financial situation drastically changes (or Elon magically announces that CT production will begin in X months), I can cancel and am only out $100. Maybe I'll get a Texas built one? If the used car market stays hot, I'll be able to get pretty good cash for my 2016 Pilot, thus sweetening the deal.
Stay tuned!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Owned 4x4 trucks before kiddo’s. Once they arrived I took responsibility to ditch the truck and buy my first family car. What an expensive mistake. 1982—1991 car driving years were lost outdoors dirt lifestyle. Lots of skiing, sailing but no dirt adventure. Camping was a PITA.

That’s just one experience, one reason SUV and offroad in USA dominates sales. Lots of wide open spaces in the Western US. Plenty of dirt elsewhere plays an important part of lifestyle, if not passion.

AWD or specialty offroad vehicle was de rigeur kiddo’s or no for myself.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Apparently at AI day Musk suggested Cybertruck shipments don't start until Q3 2022 so if you do get the Model Y, you'll have a bit more time to enjoy it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
@Ogre he said that shipments of the FSD v4 were 3rd quarter, in Cybertrucks, not that Cybertrucks would wait for the v4 computer.

-Crissa
fair.

Regardless, I’m embracing Q3 next year as the new start of production date personally. Lowers the chance for negative surprise.

Musk didn’t say Cybertruck was delayed until then, but they also never said when in 2022 it was coming.

When the 4680 supply starts to appear and the 8k Giga presses are online we’ll know it’s close.

OP
OP

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
fair.

Regardless, I’m embracing Q3 next year as the new start of production date personally. Lowers the chance for negative surprise.

Musk didn’t say Cybertruck was delayed until then, but they also never said when in 2022 it was coming.

When the 4680 supply starts to appear and the 8k Giga presses are online we’ll know it’s close.
I'm with ya Ogre. I REALLY hope Q3 2022! I found faith in what Elon said yesterday:
"Obviously, there will be a Hardware 4 or Self Driving Computer 2, which we will probably introduce with the Cybertruck maybe in about a year or so. That will be about 4 times more a capable. Roughly."
So clearly he's aiming for CT release sometime between Q3 2022 and Q4 2025.
/s

Non refundable fee for Y went up today to $250 from yesterdays $100. What will I spend that $150 saved on? :D

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
With the Y now being backordered to January, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Here are my thoughts, as someone who has never owned a Tesla:
-The Y I rented is a LR, white on white.
-This thing is, IMO, GORGEOUS. I was initially turned off by the white interior, but man oh man do I love it in person. Is it just me or does it feel "fluffier" than the black interior? The white also cleans up pretty easy. It looks so futuristic and cool, combined with the glass roof. It's just incredible.
-The Y is so roomy! I went to Costco and Target and had no issues. It is deceiving. There's more room than you'd think.
-Driving the Y is unlike anything I've ever experienced. It's tight, sporty, yet has room for the family. It's just flat out FUN. Wife and I went out for a night drive last night. Just chatted and drove. It was quite enjoyable.
-My son's car seat is a great fit. There's still plenty of room for passengers, and stuffs.
-I supercharged yesterday. This was not as bad as I thought. Plenty of stalls open, and the 25 minutes FLEW. I chatted with another Tesla owner, super friendly folks! I replied to some work emails, made some calls, and I was done. It was a surprisingly pleasant experience. I would compare it to getting gas this way: if you go in, use the bathroom, get some snacks and drinks, sat back in the car to write an email or two; to me, it would be about the same amount of time. And the supercharger stalls are WAY nicer than the gross gas pumps :)

The reason I wrote this is because I'm seriously considering getting a Y, and was hoping to get opinions of folks who either own a Y or or considering purchasing. My gut tells me CT is probably more than a year off. I REALLY want the CT! What do you guys and gals think? Get Y, drive it for like 3 years until my CT is ready? Resale on Y's are good now - obviously this could change in the future.
Thanks!
If the Y was made of stainless steel I'd probably order one, but for now I'm holding out for the C.T. Just wish Elon would back off the non truck fluff, and be upfront about the time.

OP
OP

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
If the Y was made of stainless steel I'd probably order one, but for now I'm holding out for the C.T. Just wish Elon would back off the non truck fluff, and be upfront about the time.
YES. I'm really hoping for updates. Would love to see final design. More info on door handles, windshield wipers, etc. And how about progress being made on assembly. An idea of when Elon thinks we can expect pre production? So I can add 6 months to it haha.

PriddyShiddy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram Rebel, Beta 390 SS-R, BMW F850GS
Country flag
The Y is amazing. We've had ours since February and it's been perfect. We did an 1,100 mile trip with two friends, combined weight of all 4 people was ~950 lbs, plus 4 suit cases, cooler, snacks, other crap. Drove from SoCal to Vegas then to Zion National Park in Utah. Drove around the park, stayed off site, and not ONCE did stopping to charge not correspond with someone wanting to stop for bathroom/snack/leg stretch so it was no issue ever. That said... last night we got back from a 600 mile trip and had to take my Ram 1500 :-(

We were convoying with ICE cars and could not have done that without making everyone stop at 1-2 additional spots for 20-30 mins each way. We also couldn't fit all the bicycles into any two cars so I had to take my truck since we only had 2 parking passes/reservations. I can not wait to get the CT!

Could have done that trip in the CT and only had to stop ONCE on the way up/back and had free charging in the park. We could have planned the one stop each way near a food stop and it's like it never happened. Still could have fit 5 bikes and 5 people and not had to burn $192 in gas ($4.50 a gallon)

Treelon

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Here’s my opinion- I challenged the Tesla rep to tell me anything that’s better about the model Y than the CT I have on order(ordered first ten minutes after Elon said “yeah- you can order one now” during the release.). Other than looking “normal” there isn’t much that’s better with a Y. I really like the stainless steel and armor glass as I hate door dings and rock chips and live in snowy MN. I like the storage area. I like the option to seat 6. Do you want your vehicle to be able to carry a piano, or not? Would you want your vehicle to be bulletproof or not? (I’m near MPLS!) Would you like an on screen option to have 16 inch ground clearance or not? Would you want your vehicle to have 4680 batteries that charge faster and last longer? Would you like the option to have paint that’s imperfect and will eventually be flaking? Would you like the option to be able to charge your (or your friends) other EV with your vehicle? Want to be able to pump up your (or your friends)tires with an onboard compressor? I like the fact that there’s a million Ys soon now, but wouldn’t it be more fun to have a vehicle that people think is from Mars? So IMO wait- unless you’re rich, in which case- why are you asking…don’t wait- buy the Y and then buy the CT!!!

OP
OP

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Here’s my opinion- I challenged the Tesla rep to tell me anything that’s better about the model Y than the CT I have on order(ordered first ten minutes after Elon said “yeah- you can order one now” during the release.). Other than looking “normal” there isn’t much that’s better with a Y. I really like the stainless steel and armor glass as I hate door dings and rock chips and live in snowy MN. I like the storage area. I like the option to seat 6. Do you want your vehicle to be able to carry a piano, or not? Would you want your vehicle to be bulletproof or not? (I’m near MPLS!) Would you like an on screen option to have 16 inch ground clearance or not? Would you want your vehicle to have 4680 batteries that charge faster and last longer? Would you like the option to have paint that’s imperfect and will eventually be flaking? Would you like the option to be able to charge your (or your friends) other EV with your vehicle? Want to be able to pump up your (or your friends)tires with an onboard compressor? I like the fact that there’s a million Ys soon now, but wouldn’t it be more fun to have a vehicle that people think is from Mars? So IMO wait- unless you’re rich, in which case- why are you asking…don’t wait- buy the Y and then buy the CT!!!
You're right on all accounts. I agree with everything you said and I WANT ALL THAT STUFF!
Only concern is WHEN will we get all that stuff, you know? Q3 2022? Q2 2023?

last night we got back from a 600 mile trip and had to take my Ram 1500 :-(
hahaha that sad face says it all. And $200 in gas too? Ouch.
I can't wait to take delivery of my Y. But, also CT so... ?‍♂

Sparky426

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y 2021
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We got an order in just before it hi 1 mil. Found out delivery was Aug. 2024.. So we decided to buy a Y (White and white) Long Range. I figured we could sell it close to what we paid for it in 2024 since we wont put many miles on it. If the Y continues in popularity, It may go for more than we pay for it. That is already happening today. So we take delivery next month of the Y but really looking forward to the CT!!!

Deleted member 3316

Man, I just had the exact same experience as you, Jamessmooth007 .

Sidenote: We encountered a Rivian truck in Portland in a Goodwill parking lot, of all places. It had a lidar/camera attached to the roof and was clearly mapping/testing something. Super surprising to see! Are there very many of these out there? It was quite a beautiful truck. Felt like a lucky encounter.
ummmmmm, photos please!!!
Sponsored