I see Cramer is at it again….he’s clearly NOT a truck person.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I just read that article. Clearly Cramer is not as much of a numbers guy as he claims to be. The CT has 1.2M preorders and likely more by now. The Ford Lighting has 120,000 preorders and maybe slightly more by now. By this time after release the CT was probably over 500,000 preorders. So if we just let the numbers speak for themselves we clearly do not have a flop or a failure. I foresee the CT spanking the Lighting in sales just like the Mach E has struggled to keep up. The Mach E is limping along with around 15,000 sold this year . The Model 3 is around 60,000 and the Model Y is around 80,000. When Tesla first started selling electric cars the naysayers said it would fail. Well, keep talking numbers guy. When the dust settles we will see which truck America wants.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I just read that article. Clearly Cramer is not as much of a numbers guy as he claims to be. The CT has 1.2M preorders and likely more by now. The Ford Lighting has 120,000 preorders and maybe slightly more by now. By this time after release the CT was probably over 500,000 preorders.
Another thing about the Cybertruck 500,000 reservation time point is that the reservation holders knew they would still need to wait another 18-36 months to get the Cybertruck.

Ford F-150 Lightning reservers supposedly only have to wait 6 months but still there are only 120,000 reservations. Seems very low for a product that is supposed to be so good and so close to being available.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Something else I am curious about is let’s see just how safe they are. I did read where the Lightning headlights failed to impress and I realize that Tesla also had issues originally with one of their previous models. I just don’t see anywhere near the level of innovation that Tesla has. No one else is rethinking everything the way Tesla is. The other guys are adding electric to a ICE vehicle for the most part and even marketing it as something you are already familiar with. Yes, the same old knobs, buttons and air vents etc.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I think if we were all being honest this truck is 10-20 years ahead of its time pretty much like everything else Telsa has done. The world is just stumbling along to try to keep up and we all react to the change differently. Some embrace it and try to roll with it and some are jealous and hate.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Another thing about the Cybertruck 500,000 reservation time point is that the reservation holders knew they would still need to wait another 18-36 months to get the Cybertruck.

Ford F-150 Lightning reservers supposedly only have to wait 6 months but still there are only 120,000 reservations. Seems very low for a product that is so close to being available.
My understanding is Fleet Reservation is outside that 120K. Not sure about the source but that is what is floating in lightening forum. The following is their target:

2022 15k
2023 55k
2024 80k
2025 80k

And in 2026 they may build a real EV Truck

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I think if we were all being honest this truck is 10-20 years ahead of its time pretty much like everything else Telsa has done. The world is just stumbling along to try to keep up and we all react to the change differently. Some embrace it and try to roll with it and some are jealous and hate.
LOL

I definitely believe that the CT is ahead of its time. Let’s be generous and say it was 20 years ahead of its time on reveal night. That puts it now at 18 years ahead. By the time I get mine it might only be 16 years ahead. Hopefully I don’t have to wait till it is right on time before mine gets delivered.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Something else I am curious about is let’s see just how safe they are. I did read where the Lightning headlights failed to impress and I realize that Tesla also had issues originally with one of their previous models. I just don’t see anywhere near the level of innovation that Tesla has. No one else is rethinking everything the way Tesla is. The other guys are adding electric to a ICE vehicle for the most part and even marketing it as something you are already familiar with. Yes, the same old knobs, buttons and air vents etc.
I feel like cars in the early 1900s started out crazy simple. Because the machinery and technology limited them. I met a guy in my neighborhood with an old model t with a hand crank to start the engine. He said its crazy easy to start and the thing just wants to start. technology has changed Immensely and working on vehicles for 25 years I have seen just in that time how much more mechanically complicated they have gotten, but essentially they just keep refining that same old Model T. I look at the changes that Tesla is making and i feel like mechanically they
My understanding is Fleet Reservation is outside that 120K. Not sure about the source but that is what is floating in lightening forum. The following is their target:

2022 15k
2023 55k
2024 80k
2025 80k

And in 2026 they may build a real EV Truck
I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it will be really interesting to see where the fleet and city/public safety vehicles trend. On one side I can see cities saying, "Well, a Tesla is fancy and we don't want the perception that we are buying fancy cars so we will buy the Lighting even though the base price is the same". Or they could say, "We will go with the CT because side by side we get more for our money and it doesn't matter what peoples perception is". The same goes for police agencies. It will be funny to me when all of a sudden the police agencies say, "Oh, now the SUVs we switched to from sedans aren't big enough. We now need Cybertrucks- afterall they are bulletproof out of the box!" I am fine with them picking anything but the CT. We have waited long enough for the CT and I am going to be very frustrated if we are competing with public agencies for our CT orders.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Cramer? I short every stock he recommended for a buy. And I'm a winner overall. :unsure:
Be carefull with that reverse barometer idea. It can backfire. Did you ever see the movie Little Big Man. Custer never stood a chance!:p

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it will be really interesting to see where the fleet and city/public safety vehicles trend. On one side I can see cities saying, "Well, a Tesla is fancy and we don't want the perception that we are buying fancy cars so we will buy the Lighting even though the base price is the same". Or they could say, "We will go with the CT because side by side we get more for our money and it doesn't matter what peoples perception is". The same goes for police agencies. It will be funny to me when all of a sudden the police agencies say, "Oh, now the SUVs we switched to from sedans aren't big enough. We now need Cybertrucks- afterall they are bulletproof out of the box!" I am fine with them picking anything but the CT. We have waited long enough for the CT and I am going to be very frustrated if we are competing with public agencies for our CT orders.

Each of them have their own motivation. One agency may just need to move people in the city and not care about utility. Small EVs that cost less to operate, have lower initial cost and easier to park may be more attractive to them.

A construction company that have a history of people goofing off and have to provide better details of how their staff and equipment are used for billing may care more about fleet management services that come with the truck.

A contractor may want to give the impression that they are different and ahead of the game.

The motives can be all over the place. I want them fast and cheap (early and a good deal). CT won't be early for me. I am hoping it will be a good deal at the time I can get it.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Each of them have their own motivation. One agency may just need to move people in the city and not care about utility. Small EVs that cost less to operate, have lower initial cost and easier to park may be more attractive to them.

A construction company that have a history of people goofing off and have to provide better details of how their staff and equipment are used for billing may care more about fleet management services that come with the truck.

A contractor may want to give the impression that they are different and ahead of the game.

The motives can be all over the place. I want them fast and cheap (early and a good deal). CT won't be early for me. I am hoping it will be a good deal at the time I can get it.
Agreed. look at the Model Y. Hasn't it basically gone up almost $10k since it was released less than 2 years ago. I feel like I am going to need to jump on the CT asap to avoid cost increases once released.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I feel like cars in the early 1900s started out crazy simple. Because the machinery and technology limited them. I met a guy in my neighborhood with an old model t with a hand crank to start the engine. He said its crazy easy to start and the thing just wants to start. technology has changed Immensely and working on vehicles for 25 years I have seen just in that time how much more mechanically complicated they have gotten, but essentially they just keep refining that same old Model T. I look at the changes that Tesla is making and i feel like mechanically they
Your neighborhood guy is saying hand cranking engine is so easy. There are reasons we don't hand crank large engines.
Early gas cars did not really start beating full electric cars until early gas cars became a type of hybrid (battery electric starting gas engine).

It is not a myth that people frequently broke their wrists or arms when cranking early engines that did not have electric starters.

Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Broken arm club?
https://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/99395.html?1248479847

cranking early cars - broken wrist medical term - ?? Chauffeur's Fracture & Ford Fracture
October 15, 2008
https://forums.aaca.org/topic/120754-cranking-early-cars-broken-wrist-medical-term/

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Maverick sounds like the truck Ford should have brought out before discontinuing their sedans. A small utility that fits in places their other trucks don't - but also efficient and next generation. I wasn't looking for a truck in 2012, but is the Maverick was available, I would have considered it. A truck more efficient than my last car? C'mon.

It will find an audience. But for me, it's much too little too late.

2022 15k
2023 55k
2024 80k
2025 80k
Geez, I was expecting it to start at 50k and then twice that. And I thought I was pessimistic!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Geez, I was expecting it to start at 50k and then twice that. And I thought I was pessimistic!
Once they did hit 120K reservations, they decided to spend $850 million to double their production. The numbers I posted is AFTER the bump up. The sad thing is even with these numbers, if they succeed, I would get a lightening 2-3 years before getting a CT and I may barely make the $7,500 cut. All being optimistic. In that case I may pull the trigger on a base Pro (~$32,500) and see how things look in two years for my CT. If Ford keeps dragging too, I won't bother with lightening.
Sponsored