I wonder, is there such thing as a cleaner battery charge

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I wonder, is there such thing as a cleaner battery charge, vs a less clean charge, where the cleaner charge translates into more range from the same level of charge? I suddenly needed to know this, no clue why. I'll get back with you on that one. peace
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Cleaner?

Well, once the electricity is in the battery, it doesn't matter.

But cleanliness could be: How much carbon was emitted into the atmosphere. How much particulate. How much heat. Etc.

It could also be how 'clean' was the AC signal; noise results in excess heat in the charger and stresses those components. The resulting energy in the battery may be less because of poor input power.

But for the most part? It won't care. As long as you're giving it enough voltage, it'll be happy.

-Crissa

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I wonder, is there such thing as a cleaner battery charge, vs a less clean charge, where the cleaner charge translates into more range from the same level of charge? I suddenly needed to know this, no clue why. I'll get back with you on that one. peace
I don't really know what you mean by "cleaner" here but I am assuming that as you seem to be asking whether the same amount of charging as represented by a $ amount on your utility bill or SuperCharger bill can translate into different realized miles on the road I can answer "Yes". If that is indeed what you have in mind then "cleaner" translates into "more efficient" and efficiency can vary.

Obviously if you drive very fast, run the cabin heater full bore and come out of every stop light like a Formula One driver your driving efficiency will be lower (higher Wh/mi) than if you drive conservatively (low Wh/mi). But I think you are more interested in knowing whether there is anything you can do whilst charging to improve miles per dollar of charging cost. Again the answer is "Yes". The obvious thing to do is charge with cheap electricity i.e. that bought at home, especially a home equipped with solar cells..., during your utilities low tariff hours if your utility offers such. That can swing the cost per mile between 0 and, let's say 10¢. Is there anything else you can do? Yes, you can charge at the lowest rate compatible with your time requirements. Charging at 10 miles per hour will save you a small amount of energy and thus $, relative to charging at 20 miles per hour but the savings will be small and, obviously, it takes twice as long. You will save more by controlling phantom drain (don't use Stats or TeslaFi...) Try to charge when the battery is warm. This is easily arranged by plugging in when you get home in the evening.

I said above to avoid TeslaFi to save on phantom drain. But the other side of the coin is that TeslaFi will tell you how much electricity you took from the source and how much went to the battery from which it calculates the charging efficiency for each charge.

Last edited:

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
If you are asking, Holding the amperage and voltage from the charger constant, can the type of charge affect the resulting range?, the answer, to my mind, is No.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The voltage is controlled to establish the desired amount of current flow into the battery. This is true whether we are talking about the charger in the car or in an SC as they are either the same (as they were at one time rumored to be) or at least functionally the same. If the current is held constant what else could one potentially vary in the hope of attaining a "cleaner" charge?
Sponsored