Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Currently Dodge Truck owner
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
Hello All,
I know this is not a complete DIY. There are a lot of variables that we still dont know yet.

This is meant for ideas and possible solutions.

Going on past experience and what I can be known about the CT;

In order to be able to use a gooseneck trailer or 5th wheel attached light trailer, a bed mounted adapter is required.
We already know the CT has a phenominal towing and bed weight carrying capacity. So that part I am not addressing, I would recommend higer load rated tires.
What complicates things is:
  • What we dont entirely know is the archetecture of the bed
  • We dont know if there is a way to access the bottom side of the bed.
  • We dont know if there will be any structural frame railing underneath.

I will go on these INITIAL assumptions:
The bed itself wil be made of at least mild steel. I am confdent that it is made of stainless steel as well. This is really good as it is a very strong steel.
Most ICE installed Gooseneck/5th wheel hitches mount using a between frame rail fixture that is welded or very securely bolted to the frame of the vehicle.

In the circumstance of NOT being able to access a 'frame' , a flat plate of 3/8 steel can be attched to the top side of the bed using large welded on nuts. I say this because I think that the bed will be integral to the exoskeletal structure of the CT. In other words: The bed wont come off under stress.
Once the spreader plate is attached, the hitch can be easily attached to the plate.

The secondary concern is body clearance to the trailer, especially in turns.
For the gooseneck type trailer , there should be no problem as that type has a high arch of clearance.
A fifth wheel mount will be more complex. Some trailers ,like travel trailers, can use a gooseneck like attachment. A trailer that has an attachment like what would be used for a flatbed truck will not work. That will require thoughtfull engineering on the part of the install shop and customer.

I am quite sure there will be a built in trailer harness attachment point will be built into the CT.

Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering 5th 002
Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering 5th 001
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
You have more experience in this than myself, but for what it's worth I come down on this to essentially right where you have.

From the vehicle preparedness perspective:
  • if Tesla's structural design doesn't specifically provide for a center-bed receiver point installation, things get more ad hoc DIY
    • Tesla could in theory address this as an OEM option, but unlikely anytime soon

• those ad hoc DIY approaches would likely have to fabricate structural strength on the 'exterior' of the vehicle (like the spreader plate approach you recount)
    • that said, these solutions wont be without unique challenges presented by potentially being unable to bolt solutions in, due to restricted access to the backside of the exoskeleton - which might mean folks are left with welding spreader plates, which welding approach presents its own issues in comfort of failure

Assuming the vehicle preparedness issue is addressed, then is the trailer compatibility perspective:
  • goosenecks should be available (but not all designs) that minimize any material interference with the sails

• some goosneck designs, and many 5th wheel designs - especially any with boxes over the hitch - are unlikely to play nice with the sails

ultimately these challenges are relevant only to a small portion of aspiring CT owners. i dont see Tesla complicating their engineering or manufacturing to address that market, anytime soon.

OP
OP
S.H.Peterson

S.H.Peterson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Currently Dodge Truck owner
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
I completely agree and you have added several valuable points! Thanks!

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Before I decided to go with an Airstream RV I was working to find ways to make a 5th wheel RV work with CYBERTRUCK. The first feature I realized would help negate the sail panel problem was the independent air suspension. The sail panels only become a problem when turning sharply or in off camber situations, and those are likely only to be a problem at low speeds and in fairly rare situations. Using the air suspension to dip one side of the truck in turns, or raise the rear and dip the front when tight backing will provide a few inches extra clearance with the bed rails in tight spots.

Another item that could alleviate the problem is a modified Reese GooseBox pin box. The current model has an adjustable airbag that is used to level the trailer and provide shock absorbing space between the trailer and truck. Since the CYBERTRUCK will have an airline connection in the bed, a remote fill valve could be installed to a new designed GooseBox that would allow even more lifting distance to raise the front of the trailer even higher than current design. If you find yourself in a spot where the overhang would contact the rails, you raise the hitch higher. The thing you'll have to watch is that the departure angle at the rear of the trailer will become VERY low. You won't want to raise higher than necessary.

Air suspensions that are becoming more common on RV trailers could also come to the aid in tricky circumstances. Raising and lowering the trailer and raising one side more than the other.

5th wheeling with the CYBERTRUCK will likely never be the easiest way to RV, but for someone willing to put up with a few inconveniences could probably pull it off. Good Luck!

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
--------------------------------------------------

Dos and Don’ts to Get the Right Gooseneck Trailer Clearance
Posted on June 14, 2017
by Blue Ridge Trailers
https://blueridgetrailer.com/blog/gooseneck-trailer-clearance-truck-bed/

You quickly discover there’s only a few inches of clearance between the gooseneck frame and top of the sides of your brand new truck.

It’s a problem that many gooseneck trailer owners and buyers face lately, as trucks continue to come out of factories taller and taller off the ground, regardless of the manufacturer.

DO: Know that newer trucks are taller As mentioned above, truck manufacturers have started to hike up the height of their trucks in recent years.

While your typical one-ton pickup bed used to measure about 52 inches off the ground, we now see drivers coming in on trucks with beds as tall as 60+ inches.

If you’ve got a new truck, be aware that it’s going to be more difficult for you to find a used gooseneck trailer that provides enough clearance, or to hook up a gooseneck you already own.

DON’T: Buy a used trailer without testing your truck’s suspension Just as trucks are getting built taller and taller, they’re also getting softer and softer suspensions. This can be either a blessing or a curse when you go to hitch up a heavy gooseneck trailer.

In some cases, we’ll see customers drop a gooseneck on their truck, and the suspension will simply be too soft to safely support the trailer. Other times, the suspension will provide just enough give to create the minimum six inches of clearance between the trailer and truck bed, while still supporting the trailer adequately.

It’s nearly impossible to determine what the case will be for your truck and a given trailer without hitching it up and taking a look. So don’t buy a trailer without testing it out first!

--------------------------------------------------

Tom's Trailer Talk - Gooseneck “Do’s and Don’ts”
https://equispirit.com/info/trailer-talk/gooseneck-dos-and-donts.htm

Not all gooseneck trailers will fit on today’s trucks. A gooseneck trailer must have 6” or more from the top of the tailgate (top of the truck bed sides) to the bottom of the gooseneck when sitting level. Taller trucks may be too high to fit properly under a gooseneck trailer, especially goosenecks built before 2000.

Most trailers built after 2000 will sit level on trucks that measure up to 59” from the ground to the top of the tailgate (sides of the bed).

Goosenecks built prior to that may not have enough clearance while sitting level. Check this before you buy.

Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering BEB09579-84C0-402F-B93F-12CD9F69DD64

---------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Diamond C - Engineered Beam Technology Goosenecks
Published December 14, 2022
https://www.diamondc.com/engineered-beam-technology/

For decades the semi-trailer manufacturers have been building their own I-Beams, custom to each trailer configuration. They realized long ago that standard beams were not the best solution for the strongest, lightest trailer frames. They needed taller beams considering the span of the frames without the excess weight that comes with taller standard beams. The same principles clearly applied to gooseneck trailer framing so we set out to design, engineer, and build our own I-beams.

Lighter – Stronger – Engineered to Deliver Diamond C is forging a new era in trailer design with our Engineered Beam Technology. We design, engineer, and optimize our own U.S. Patent Protected I-Beams to fit each model. Our Engineered Beam GOOSENECK trailers are stronger yet lighter, featuring the best strength-to-weight ratios of any steel frame gooseneck on the road. We have also recently brought this technology to select DUMP, EQUIPMENT, and CAR HAULER trailer models.

3 Easy Steps to Order a Custom Built Trailer
https://www.diamondc.com/trailers/car-hauler/mvc-gn/

-----------

Dump Trailer | Gooseneck package upgrade - Bumper pull or gooseneck?
Oct 19, 2020
Diamond C Trailers

----

Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering ngineered-Beam-vs-Traditional-I-Beam-Neck-1024x589

Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering MVC-car-hauler-trailer-gooseneck-package

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The sail panels only become a problem when turning sharply or in off camber situations, and those are likely only to be a problem at low speeds and in fairly rare situations.
Sounds like you put real, preparatory, thought into this.

So I’m left confused about you concluding the issue is limited only to turning ‘sharply’?

On a short-box truck, turning at only ~45° (what’s at least needed to turn at intersections), the RV looks like this even with a sliding hitch:

Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering 8284B1FA-ADCE-41BF-B507-BAF7A452E376

Basic 45° turns place the RV maximally over the sails.

As for “tight” turns, here’s the same hitch manufacturer as above, but here with a driver performing a 2-stage “tight” turn in a short-box truck even with a sliding hitch:

Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering DC6E9B65-5FA0-4C1B-AFA2-21F84DE3E7C8

So I’m not following how the sails are a problem only in tight turns (seems a bit more than a problem), nor how you arrived at sails not being a problem in basic 45° turning?

The below compare is only rough justice from only a couple minutes of work. And I used the Raptor specifically because it also has 35” tires, to give a sense of relative proportions

Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering F764EF5A-98DA-44B1-AFFF-E3F6B9C79BCE

Thinking through the comparison above, the sails seem most definitely in the way. (and the CT cab seems closer to the axel, a different problem for another time.)

In all, not seeing through to how you decided a 5th wheel RV to be a problem only in tight turns?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Order gooseneck trailer for Cybertruck?

Felling Trailers - 3-Key Measurements are a must when choosing Gooseneck hitch style.
July 8, 2015
By Felling Trailers
https://www.felling.com/3-key-measurements-are-a-must/

A-Frame Swing Clearance Worksheet
Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering Screen-Shot-2015-07-08-at-11.51.54-AM
Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering Screen-Shot-2015-07-08-at-11.51.54-AM

-------

Felling, your Custom trailer solutions provider.
https://www.felling.com/custom-trailer-2/

CUSTOMIZATION – It’s what sets us apart from other manufacturers. We take a base model trailer and modify its design to suit the needs of you, your company, and the job/equipment it is needed for.

No Idea Too Extreme. No Detail Too Small.

Felling’s Custom Trailer Division will take your conceptual ideas and turn them into a tangible reality. Do you have an idea or a rough sketch but not sure where to go from there? You are in the right place, our Team will take you from the starting point and build on your needs to create a prototype. We employ a fully staffed Engineering department that utilizes the latest in industry-leading design programs. Our Engineers and Designers work alongside our highly experienced Metal Craftsmen to create a custom fit to your specific transport needs. We are a teamwork focused company, from the sales to finishing, we focused on building it your way.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Someone analyzed the bed from Investor Day and pointed out these 6 spots in the bed (with a 7th on the tailgate) and speculated they mount be for different bed accessories…

what if 4 of them are for a mount for a 5th wheel/King pin?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Someone analyzed the bed from Investor Day and pointed out these 6 spots in the bed (with a 7th on the tailgate) and speculated they mount be for different bed accessories…

what if 4 of them are for a mount for a 5th wheel/King pin?
Yup, that is my thought too.

Especially the 4 positions near to the wheel wells.

Also for Elon's heavy duty paint gun.

-------------------------

Tesla Cybertruck Ideas for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailering 1681586033203

Tesla Cybertruck Might Just Get a Heavy-Duty Paintball Gun Accessory
29 Sep 2020
By: Vlad Mitrache

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...eavy-duty-paintball-gun-accessory-149401.html

-------------------------

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Someone analyzed the bed from Investor Day and pointed out these 6 spots in the bed (with a 7th on the tailgate)…what if 4 of them are for a mount for a 5th wheel/King pin?
Especially the 4 position just before and after the wheel wells.
that was my post, and my related chatter here, and it crossed my mind as amongst the accessories that the locations might accommodate

we’ll see!

AustroTom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2017 MS, 2018 M3, Slvdo 2500HD,CT Tri res
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
WIthout Tesla ever chiming in on this issue (and the four-down towing situation), there will always be only one thing: speculations!
I think somebody needs to have a word with Elon.
(I can't do it, he hasn't heard of me yet :)).
Sponsored