If TSLA Stock remains close to $120 per share, will you still purchase the Cybertruck?

If TSLA Stock remains close to $120 per share, will you still purchase the Cybertruck?

• Total voters

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
If TSLA stock remains around $120 per share at the time of your order/purchase will you still buy?

Personally for me, no I won't purchase it. I don't really need a truck and I don't plan my CT as a daily driver. I will probably drive my Aptera most places if just me and one other. The CT was for adventure and projects. I was counting on paying for it in TSLA profits. I can pay for a crap load of material deliveries and or rentals for $60 grand.

Choice for me. Cybertruck in the driveway or $ for adventure/projects. I can't (shouldn't) do both without a stock windfall. (I am still up over 100% on average, but I consider my gains as normal retirement investing, not a true windfall.)

I also purchased more TSLA on the dip $110. I think it will double with-in couple years, but I am doubtful it will hit previous highs in the next 5 years.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Got to spend it sometime/somewhere. I love my kids, but giving them a ton of money won't necessarily make them better/happier.

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3 (2), Model X
Country flag
The Cybertruck will be in my driveway as soon as possible. It will also likely be my last vehicle purchase (I'm old-ish).

All Stock investing is risky but IMO, there has never been a company better positioned to grow to the level that Tesla should, and I believe will achieve in the next decade. Musk predicts Tesla will be the highest value company in the world in that time frame and I agree.
I'm sorry if some of you were relying on Tesla stock profits to pay for the Cybertruck. Sound investment strategies should be based upon education funds for the kids and retirement planning, not non-essential purchases, IMO.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
When I ordered the Cybertruck the night of the reveal I didn't own any Tesla stock. I ordered it with the thought that it will probably be a similar total cost of ownership as my Toyota Avalon. I still do, based on electricity vs. gas, maintenance costs, and the real possibility that it will not depreciate at all for the first couple of years of ownership. So I can have a full size truck that I can take my family of 4 and all our toys on vacation and maybe play around a bit off road, or camp with my son and use it as an adventure vehicle for the same cost of ownership as my Toyota Avalon, no brainer, of course I'm going to buy it when the opportunity arrives!
I feel slightly bad for people that have to rely on a big return from stocks to AFFORD a Cybertruck. But, after seeing this thread and seeing 20% won't purchase the CT (IF Tesla stock doesn't go up). I was a bit excited about the possibility of passing some reservation holders, and getting my Cybertruck a bit earlier. BTW, I don't feel good about passing people I've gotten to know here on the message board, but the 20% I don't know. ;)

Last edited:

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
I don't understand the link between deciding to purchase a truck and Tesla stock price.

If the OP has stated:

"Will you be able to afford a CT if your stick portfolio doesn't increase in value?"

Then, I'd understand. But, the whole stock market is down! Much of the time a stock's value has nothing to do with the performance of the company. That is certainly the case with Tesla.

I'm buying the CT because I need a truck. That has nothing to do with anything else. Sounds like the OP wants to buy it as a toy, and that's great! But, unrelated to the Tesla stock price, except, in the OP's particular case, as it seems that was how the CT was going to be bought.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Im hoping its ~ 35% more than announced. Leaves plenty of flipping margin for me. I won’t keep a personal unit if the stock price is a lot lower than now but that is completely unrelated to affordability

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
Got to spend it sometime/somewhere. I love my kids, but giving them a ton of money won't necessarily make them better/happier.
So true tho. The only time is now and we are on the cutting edge of time! Owning a piece of history is important to me. The excitement was high on November 21, 2019.
Still riding on the excitement because even though they delay on timelines…. We know the delivery is worth it! Tesla delivers beyond what they say. Time is just an imaginary construct.

should Elon be more conservative with his timelines? No. We wouldn’t be as excited. The excitement is still at an all time high even though it has plateaued.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
OP here. I can't explain it but currently the wait and other things have made the CT less attractive. Some psychology major might chime in here.

I have gotten on without a truck for 3 years now. My Aluma trailer does the job of the truck when I need volume. Pulling a trailer/boat will be a pain for long distances.

It is not just about the money. I could afford it. Sorry to disappoint but I will hold my mid pack reservation in case the fire comes back. I may buy if the stock rebounds because it is easy, but the craving is currently gone.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
In AU, I don't expect to get it before 25. Sometime in 24 would be a miracle.

By then, It needs to be at least $500. Not that I couldn't buy it, but I'm a tight ass. I would be loath to sell for clear unders anytime.

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
I’m just hoping the stock stays low until I can get more for my retirement investment in January.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
His other companies haven't reached a fraction of their value.

There will be starlight between him and 2nd wealthiest.

But the funny thing is, he would not be the only one in that category, the others don't appear on any list.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If TSLA stock remains around $120 per share at the time of your order/purchase will you still buy?

Personally for me, no I won't purchase it. I don't really need a truck and I don't plan my CT as a daily driver. I will probably drive my Aptera most places if just me and one other. The CT was for adventure and projects. I was counting on paying for it in TSLA profits. I can pay for a crap load of material deliveries and or rentals for $60 grand.

Choice for me. Cybertruck in the driveway or $ for adventure/projects. I can't (shouldn't) do both without a stock windfall. (I am still up over 100% on average, but I consider my gains as normal retirement investing, not a true windfall.)

I also purchased more TSLA on the dip $110. I think it will double with-in couple years, but I am doubtful it will hit previous highs in the next 5 years.
As per usual the choices aren’t helpful in my voting. If the stock doesn’t go up I might have to sell it to buy the truck and I might have to get a different trim. Unfortunately I really want a truck with a range in excess of 400 miles so I may be in a bind. So my plan is to try my best to proceed but I also believe that the stock will go up in the next year.
Sponsored