If you have the cash, should you buy or lease?

Clyde-a-scope

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti Q50 S Hybrid, Toyota Tundra, (coming soon) Cyber truck dual motor
Country flag
I'm in a good spot to purchase the dual motor CT outright. But knowing all the issues the model 3 and the model y had, would it be smart to purchase the CT or lease it and wait a few years for all the issues to get resolved? It seems almost a waste of money to lease it for a few years then purchase the same vehicle anyways. Right?
Sponsored

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Buy.

I read somewhere for Tesla leasing you do not have the option to buy upon lease end.

So definitely buy.

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm in a good spot to purchase the dual motor CT outright. But knowing all the issues the model 3 and the model y had, would it be smart to purchase the CT or lease it and wait a few years for all the issues to get resolved? It seems almost a waste of money to lease it for a few years then purchase the same vehicle anyways. Right?
It depends on when you ordered your CT. I noticed you joined this online site late June, I’m guessing you joined right after you ordered your CT. If that is the case you will have at least a year and a half (if not more) before you CT will be built. In which case I’m sure you
will still be following this site and there will be plenty of detail of problems with CTs (if any, unlikely). Where upon you can decide to lease or buy. If you are an early order then it’s a crap shoot. Also not likely they will be doing leases till orders are filled.

OP
OP
Clyde-a-scope

Clyde-a-scope

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It depends on when you ordered your CT. I noticed you joined this online site late June, I’m guessing you joined right after you ordered your CT. If that is the case you will have at least a year and a half (if not more) before you CT will be built. In which case I’m sure you
will still be following this site and there will be plenty of detail of problems with CTs (if any, unlikely). Where upon you can decide to lease or buy. If you are an early order then it’s a crap shoot.

I ordered the day after the reveal. I guess I'm taking a risk...

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I ordered the day after the reveal. I guess I'm taking a risk...
Not necessarily, if past indications are correct, your reservation number is not your absolute place in line. There are many that were early on the list for model Y but they didn't get theirs until many months after deliveries started. Some have still not gotten theirs (due to the discontinuance of one of the available option packages)

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If you decide you want to lease, you can check your lease agreement before actually agreeing to lease to see if there is a option to purchase the vehicle after. The model 3 cannot be purchased from the lease, other Teslas can, but we have no information on the cybertruck yet

OP
OP
Clyde-a-scope

Clyde-a-scope

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you decide you want to lease, you can check your lease agreement before actually agreeing to lease to see if there is a option to purchase the vehicle after. The model 3 cannot be purchased from the lease, other Teslas can, but we have no information on the cybertruck yet
Are there any advantages to purchase after a lease? In the long run you spend more money than buying outright, correct? It's cheaper just to buy?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
well there is always advantages and disadvantages of all three options. If you have the funds to buy the Cybertruck, cash or finance, then the advantage is it will save you some money.

Lets say that there is an option to buy the Cybertruck during your lease. there would be two advantages that I could see.

1. you get to see if the Cybertruck is the right choice for you. I'm sure that while a lot of people are sure they want a Cybertruck, some of them will regret it. Not everyone needs a vehicle that big, for some people new to a truck that lives in a high populated area, it could be hard for them to get around and park it.
2. You get to see if they improve the Cybertruck. This is quite possible, right now they are making small chances to the Model 3 which has people suspecting that it will have a heat pump. The Cybertruck will already have a heat pump included, but they could make some small change after the first year or two of production.

Once everything is confirmed and the production Cybertruck is built and we can see the actual Cybertruck that we are paying for, that will help everyone decide. I don't think there would be any reason that I would lease instead of buy, but if they make some major changes that I don't like (unlikely) then I might lease.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Leasing was a way to jump in line for an S, but Tesla moatly uses leases to sell cars that they think they wouldn't have otherwise sold.

So it's not always an option.

-Crissa

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not necessarily, if past indications are correct, your reservation number is not your absolute place in line. There are many that were early on the list for model Y but they didn't get theirs until many months after deliveries started. Some have still not gotten theirs (due to the discontinuance of one of the available option packages)
Bearing that in mind I’m guessing us right hand drive users could be in for a long wait.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Leasing a vehicle can be a good idea for a business to get a write off, but a poor financial choice for a personal car. Plenty of good financial reasons not to make this personal mistake are available online to help you see this fact.

Your question seems odd to me. If you have cash, You can pay cash full price, or place a down payment and obtain a loan for the vehicle. A lease offers a low cost option to get Into the Vehicle, make lower monthly payments but then you have the residual at the end if offered by the leasing company.

If you can’t afford to pay cash for a vehicle or can’t afford the monthly loan payment, the best choice is to choose a cheaper vehicle or wait still your finances are in better shape.

OP
OP
Clyde-a-scope

Clyde-a-scope

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Leasing a vehicle can be a good idea for a business to get a write off, but a poor financial choice for a personal car. Plenty of good financial reasons not to make this personal mistake are available online to help you see this fact.

Your question seems odd to me. If you have cash, You can pay cash full price, or place a down payment and obtain a loan for the vehicle. A lease offers a low cost option to get Into the Vehicle, make lower monthly payments but then you have the residual at the end if offered by the leasing company.

If you can’t afford to pay cash for a vehicle or can’t afford the monthly loan payment, the best choice is to choose a cheaper vehicle or wait still your finances are in better shape.

This is a great forum! Everyone has provided good input! I wanted to see other folks reasoning and opinions on purchasing Vs leasing when it comes to a brand new production vehicle. Specifically when it comes to Tesla's manufacturing issues. I've also never leased a vehicle. I've always paid cash. I have the cash in full to buy the dual motor CT. I'm in a good financial position to purchase it. I can afford it without forcing my family to eat ramen for the next 5 years (they'll eat Cheerios w/water instead haha). At first I didn't understand why someone would lease the CT (or any vehicle) if they had the cash. After reading through everyone's responses, I agree it's a poor financial decision to lease if you have the capital in hand. I guess if I wanted I could open an LLC and get a tax write off. I don't believe that's a requirement at this time.

I have read folks that bought Tesla stock and purchased a model 3 through the growth. It might be too late to purchase stock now. (That's probably another thread)

I love the responses! I'm learning allot. Keep them coming!

OP
OP
Clyde-a-scope

Clyde-a-scope

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bearing that in mind I’m guessing us right hand drive users could be in for a long wait.
I didn't realize the CT was being offered anywhere but the former colonies. ;)

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
There are consumer advocates out there that equate “leasing to fleecing.” There are a few scenarios where it could be beneficial but mostly I think that it’s a rip off. IMHO
Sponsored