IFF 4ws was a stand alone upgrade what is the MAXIMUM you would pay?

IFF 4ws was a stand alone option what is the MAXIMUM you would pay?

• Total voters

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
This is a HYPOTHETICAL POLL. NO RESPONSE REQUIRED. VOTE OR DON'T. IFF (if and only if)

We know Elon does not like too many options in the manufacturing line. He also is an engineering perfectionist. Personally I think the he would be annoyed and embarrassed anytime his saw a CT doing 5 point turn and this won't be an option; But given the flack from a diehard group that won't accept a price increase for any reason due to pure stubbornness or some strategy to somehow influence pricing by implying there will be a mass rebellion/exodus I wanted to see how much people valued the 4ws option stand alone. So for the sake of the poll again just a stated ASSUMPTIOM without fact:

Turning radius improves from 50' to 38' just to stay within this example. Trailer towing, trailer backing, general safety is also improved, but I won't claim actual larger stated capacity because some folks think they will tow/carry 14000/3500 without price increase because the website from 2019 said so.

For clarity this is not how much you want to pay. If 4ws was a check box for $2000/$4000/$6000 take it or leave it which box would you check?

Tesla Cybertruck IFF 4ws was a stand alone upgrade what is the MAXIMUM you would pay? 1659360004387
Sponsored

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
If I was new to driving full size trucks or larger, I would probably be willing to pay a little for the upgrade. Since I've been driving full size trucks most of my driving life, I would not pay for the upgrade as long as the turning radius is inline with current acceptable turning radiuses.
So ~50ft and under...I would not pay for the upgrade.
If they are building a truck that has an unacceptable stock turning radius (outside the 52.3ft you show from Dodge, then the 4WS is not really an upgrade, so much as a requirement and I would argue they should not charge extra for that feature.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
If I was new to driving full size trucks or larger, I would probably be willing to pay a little for the upgrade. Since I've been driving full size trucks most of my driving life, I would not pay for the upgrade as long as the turning radius is inline with current acceptable turning radiuses.
So ~50ft and under...I would not pay for the upgrade.
If they are building a truck that has an unacceptable stock turning radius (outside the 52.3ft you show from Dodge, then the 4WS is not really an upgrade, so much as a requirement and I would argue they should not charge extra for that feature.

Well reasoned opinion. But you have to admit it would be nice even for skilled operators.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't think you'l going to get honest answers on this one. Also, you should have a price that's really ridiculous on the list, so you get the entire curve - the prices you choose are the bounds of the curve, and will influence the audience.

Tl;dr? You should have included 20k and 10k options, as well as 'I don't know'.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I don't think you'l going to get honest answers on this one. Also, you should have a price that's really ridiculous on the list, so you get the entire curve - the prices you choose are the bounds of the curve, and will influence the audience.

-Crissa
Good point on influencing the curve. Chevy initially priced quadasteer at $7500 way back when. With sample sizes so low this is hardly scientific but I will probably run any future polls by you in advance to check for major errors:) IDK is a cop out. Pick from the available choices.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

-Crissa
How is a data point with zero votes useful?

No one will pay $20k.

---

4WS will be standard accross the range anyway, because of that 4WS will cost Tesla less than $1k per vehicle to implement and it will be embedded in an expected price rise of about 5-10%.

(BTW the reason I say this is because I don't believe EM/Tesla want the safety fuss resulting from two identical looking CTs parked in your driveway, driving so different because one did not have 4WS because it would be a $1‐2k option)

Last edited:

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just go with the premise or don't but leave Tinker's Pole alone 😄

I have a CDL and am used to parking large objects in tight spots 🙃

Id prefer not to have the complexity of 4ws. Just more things to maintain. Curbing any of the 4 wheels might require an expensive and not factory precise alignment

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I do not understand why you bother asking such questions. The design has been finalized and 4WS is part of every trim now. It will not be a separate option. It is a moot point. So the choice buyers have is whether to buy a CT or not and a poll isn't needed for that.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
How is a data point with zero votes useful?

No one will pay $20k.

---

4WS will be standard accross the range anyway, because of that 4WS will cost Tesla less than $1k per vehicle to implement and it will be embedded in an expected price rise of about 5-10%.
"expected"? I am assuming that is 'your' expectation, but not mine. There have already been polls on this forum about whether people expect a price increase, or at least discussions, and there are already battle lines drawn. So what you are saying is that no one will pay $20K over the originally-advertised price, period (because we would never know what the $20K was for)? I am not sure that is a valid statement but it really goes back to the question of whether reservation holders will buy the CT if the price is increased and not about options that will never exist.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I do not understand why you bother asking such questions. The design has been finalized and 4WS is part of every trim now. It will not be a separate option. It is a moot point. So the choice buyers have is whether to buy a CT or not and a poll isn't needed for that.
It is not on the website. How do we know it is standard across the line up?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
"expected"? I am assuming that is 'your' expectation, but not mine. There have already been polls on this forum about whether people expect a price increase, or at least discussions, and there are already battle lines drawn. So what you are saying is that no one will pay $20K over the originally-advertised price, period (because we would never know what the $20K was for)? I am not sure that is a valid statement but it really goes back to the question of whether reservation holders will buy the CT if the price is increased and not about options that will never exist.
I'm not sure how anyone familiar with our current global economic situation won't expect a price rise, but yeah sure it's my opinion. Why? Mostly because they are unlikely to lose any meaningful reseveration numbers over it, and if they do the quad motor first that will kill more anyway.

As for the $20k, that was only for the supposed 4WS option poll and how that would benefit the pole statistics.

I also really don't think 4WS will be an option, it will be standard but will also result in a price rise accross the range.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I'm not sure how anyone familiar with our current global economic situation won't expect a price rise, but yeah sure it's my opinion. Why? Mostly because they are unlikely to lose any meaningful reseveration numbers over it, and if they do the quad motor first that will kill more anyway.

As for the $20k, that was only for the supposed 4WS option poll and how that would benefit the pole statistics.

I also really don't think 4WS will be an option, it will be standard but will also result in a price rise accross the range.
And I disagree. They put in 4WS because the CT sucked at turning and they want to have a truck that is functionally disruptive. When 'we' make choices we pay, when 'they' make choices we shouldn't have to pay. In the legacy auto market if you sneeze you pay, and if the auto maker sneezes you pay. That has not been my experience with Tesla. I can see them raising prices if inflation dictates, or for quad drive because that is a new trim, but not for 4WS. If you go down that road then they will charge for the behind-the-steering-wheel display, the side mirrors, and anything else that wasn't on the original prototype. Our reservation price was for whatever Tesla delivers as the standard features for a particular trim. They set the price and we agreed to that price. For that reason, and because they have told us that they have locked the design, and because Tesla doesn't 'do' options, I see no point in asking about standard features as options.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Also for you die hard price change deniers. If you are vocal enough Elon might not add the 4ws even though it might only cost them $1000. That would be a real shame.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I actually don't think it would be that difficult for Tesla to offer the CT reservation holders who don't value adding $1-2000 to the price of the CT for 4WS a non 4ws variant.

Telsa just polls the first 500,000 or so reservation holders. Gets a count on who wants the 4ws and who does not.

Run huge batches of say 20,000 with and 20,000 with out until all the reservation # with an attached price are satisfied. Either make it standard after that or continue to offer the delete option.

As long as nothing in the front changes and the casting dies can be changed with in a couple hours it should not be that big of deal. It should be just an additive feature. Maybe a gap in the line while running the delete batch. There will be a separate software package to deal with as well.

Running huge batches like this should be manageable.

In my highly scientific poll >50% would pay at least $2000. The other half don't want it for various reasons (maintenances, cost, complexity) All valid; however expecting it absolutely free isn't quite reasonable either.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I am 62. I will keep this truck as long as I live.. Probably.

These comment apply to people like me..

I will take out a loan and sell a few shares a year to make my CT repayments.

On the basis that you can afford a loan, I reckon all these add-ons we are talking about… Solar, 4WS, etc. if they add up to say $30-$100 a month. Not a big deal.

The threat of higher interest rates should raise more fears than this level of hypothetical loan variation.
Sponsored