In 4 years how much more value will the Foundation Series have over normal?

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Serious thought. Not trolling. (People think I'm always trolling for some reason lol)

A lot of people are using the included accessories to help justify the FS cost. (Which is totally reasonable).

But if that's the case, then how much are we thinking the etched emblems are really worth whenever it comes to resale vs a CT without the emblems?

Realistically, they're the exact same truck (if optioned the same).

Anyone own a founders version of other Teslas and want to weigh in?

Again, not saying anyone is making a bad decision or anything. Just curious
It will be a factor of the stock price. Now, if you can predict (accurately) the stock price, then I can tell you what the FS will be worth.

It's not the "etched emblems" that are the value, and I think you know that. But to reduce the FS to just the emblems, well, that's why people think you're trolling! It's the early serial numbers, and the limited edition. As I told my daughter; "If you don't want guys to think you're a ho, then don't talk, act, and dress like one."

What are the limited editions of all the other cars out there worth? It all depends on things we don't know. When do they stop making this version (for a refresh or all new model)? What is the public demand like for the used ones? How many FS will be made? What is the value of the US dollar at that time? Will exposure of the hundreds of thousands of CTs on the road in the next few years change the public's opinion of the styling? Will it become more popular and less polarizing? Or will it become more polarizing? Will there become a cult that just have to have them, and the earlier the better? Will BEVs just become a commodity that you use for a while and then discard, or will they become collectors items? Will they become valuable because they still have steering wheels (or squricles) and no new cars do?

Answer all those, and you will have your answer.

Cyberer

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 S, Multiple Classics
Occupation
Cars
Country flag
This really can’t be predicted. It’s not a limited run vehicle like the Raptor R as there were only 5000 of them made and quite a few are still sitting on dealers lots.
There will likely be demand for the CT beast in the first year as it’s very limited currently but not being able to sell without written permission could be a big problem. There’s only so many people willing to spend $120k on a truck but I would have a guess that the first few hundred could make a $20-30k profit after resale clause ends. The problem will be if Tesla make any drastic changes in the 2025 model that could drop the price if the FS. They might already be $20k cheaper by then maybe more.
Also a plausible prediction.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
As a general rule, you cannot buy something to be a collectors item in the future. You'd have to be the only person who foresees that someday, folks entering middle age will pine for limited quantity ephemera from their childhood. If something is being produced AS collector's items, I can guarantee you they'll be worthless (see Beanie Babies)

Cars are an exception, eventually. Supercars, produced in small numbers will always increase in value, and all cars kept in pristine(ish) condition will someday be highly sought after, but if they're plain enough, it won't be until your grandkids sell 'em.

If you want to make a fortune off a CyberTruck someday, get as low a Vehicle VIN Number as you can, trailer it home (so you don't add any miles to the odometer), then slather it in Cosmoline and seal it in an airtight bag. Eventually you'll be able to pay for several months in a nice assisted living facility with the sales proceeds. 😃 Good Luck!

Last edited:

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
One Year: 2x
Two Years: 1x
Three Years: .75x
Four Years: .5x

Thirty Years: 10x
I like the way you think. You may not be wrong..... of course it might also depend on which model you buy (FS or non-FS), AWD or Beast, and if the original purchaser also is able to take advantage of an available government rebate. One major factor could be that, unless Tesla lifts their year-long resale ban, will be over a full year from now before any significant used ones are available to purchase. So as long as there is still a waitlist, think there is a good chance that early adopters may have a chance to get a new Cybertruck, enjoy it and lightly use it for a year, and then potentially get their money back through resale, which is almost never the case with buying any automobile. Buying any vehicle for an investment is not usually considered a sane investment strategy. If you don't really want it, to enjoy it, probably should invest your money elsewhere IMHO.

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
zero to a little. Could be negative if there are build issues
I tend to agree with this, in the short term little to no extra value, bragging rights only.

In the long term, say thirty years, it will have some value relative to other peer builds but only to diehard collectors. I think a case could be made that this is similar to the old muscle cars that would release limited edition Indy pace car versions. These pace car models' values have increased more in the long term because of this "rareness". In the short term however, it made very little difference and the newer updated models always commanded more value.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The moment they upgrade the CT to a new hardware the prior ones tank, FS or not

separately, the FS units generally will not demand any material premium

Other model’s founders and signature editions prove this out

a few founders/signature editions may demand a premium if they have a particularly low VIN - like the single digits or double digits at best (and/or are known to have been previously owned by a notable person in virtue of that low VIN)

but FS Vins above say 50 or 100? There’s no real premium to those for very long

history shows that a combo of later hardware upgrades, physical feature offerings, or price reductions quickly make any “special edition” essentially moot in terms of any depreciation/2ndary premium

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
It will be a factor of the stock price. Now, if you can predict (accurately) the stock price, then I can tell you what the FS will be worth.

It's not the "etched emblems" that are the value, and I think you know that. But to reduce the FS to just the emblems, well, that's why people think you're trolling! It's the early serial numbers, and the limited edition. As I told my daughter; "If you don't want guys to think you're a ho, then don't talk, act, and dress like one."

What are the limited editions of all the other cars out there worth? It all depends on things we don't know. When do they stop making this version (for a refresh or all new model)? What is the public demand like for the used ones? How many FS will be made? What is the value of the US dollar at that time? Will exposure of the hundreds of thousands of CTs on the road in the next few years change the public's opinion of the styling? Will it become more popular and less polarizing? Or will it become more polarizing? Will there become a cult that just have to have them, and the earlier the better? Will BEVs just become a commodity that you use for a while and then discard, or will they become collectors items? Will they become valuable because they still have steering wheels (or squricles) and no new cars do?

Answer all those, and you will have your answer.
Yea the exclusivity and low vin are cool right now. But in 4 years the only real physical differentiator is the emblems. I think we can all agree on that.

The reason I asked for input from the prior founders owners is because the only founders edition I've seen only sold for under 30k

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3OzoyGQR/2012-tesla-model-s-founder-edition

And going by stock price logic. It should've been higher right? Cause the stock has exploded recently.

I do think maybe in like 40 years a low mileage mint FS would have some value but I was thinking more short term realistic ownership timeframes

Also, I don't think I would tell my daughter that. Cause at the end of the day what is a ho and who decides that? But that's a topic for a different forum

DumpsterFire

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
The moment they upgrade the CT to a new hardware the prior ones tank, FS or not

separately, the FS units generally will not demand any material premium

Other model’s founders and signature editions prove this out

a few founders/signature editions may demand a premium if they have a particularly low VIN - like the single digits or double digits at best (and/or are known to have been previously owned by a notable person in virtue of that low VIN)

but FS Vins above say 50 or 100? There’s no real premium to those for very long

history shows that a combo of later hardware upgrades, physical feature offerings, or price reductions quickly make any “special edition” essentially moot in terms of any depreciation/2ndary premium
Agreed which is why I plan on rallying the shit out of my FS truck

Resale be damned! I think the FS depreciate just like any other car/truck. I don’t believe there’s really anything special about it.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Yea the exclusivity and low vin are cool right now. But in 4 years the only real physical differentiator is the emblems. I think we can all agree on that.
Nope. I disagree on that. The low VIN number never changes, no matter how many years pass. And the ability to drive it TODAY and not wait, can't be taken away. The question is what value do you place on those things, and what value the public places on them in the future.

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
In 4 years: Less - due to age, depreciation, etc.

In 30 years: maybe more - If you keep it in pristine condition, and if it shaped a new design trend, was first moon truck, or somehow was very important and collectors want them.

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
The FS will depreciate the most, and will hit even harder once better spec or cheaper trims come into production.

brur

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla plaid
Occupation
retired
Country flag
zero to a little. Could be negative if there are build issues
the increased value will arrive when the truck is an antique. A classic, like the top of the line model corvair as opposed to the economy model. Maybe you'd like a different example:)

jedfoley

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Ram 1500, F-350, Toyota Corolla
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Serious thought. Not trolling. (People think I'm always trolling for some reason lol)

A lot of people are using the included accessories to help justify the FS cost. (Which is totally reasonable).

But if that's the case, then how much are we thinking the etched emblems are really worth whenever it comes to resale vs a CT without the emblems?

Realistically, they're the exact same truck (if optioned the same).

Anyone own a founders version of other Teslas and want to weigh in?

Again, not saying anyone is making a bad decision or anything. Just curious
So, there are 2,000,000 people on the waitlist for the CT. And trucks are the largest selling vehicles in the US, so demand shows no signs of waning over the next decade. If you don't believe that 20 (or 40 or 80) years from now, a Foundation Edition Cybertruck will be worth the investment, you are entitled to your opinion. But take a look at how much value appreciation certain older vehicles have gained. Any classic car or truck which is thought of as iconic sells for a fortune if it is in great shape. The CT is, IMHO, the most iconic vehicle from Tesla, and probably the most iconic vehicle of the 21st century.

What vehicle does the classic car buyer pay top dollar for? The top end model, the limited edition model, the low serial number model. Foundation Edition? check. check. check.
Sponsored