g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
As per usual, tough to get an idea with the foreground and how close/ far people are.
But there IS a guy next to the tail gate, and the truck is seemingly SHOULDER height.

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) 1677283991520

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) cybertruck raised height air suspension
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
What is this crease and panel gap for? The rear sail storage opening? It doesn't need that for the doors, as the windows fit in underneath the roof support. I think we might get full fender side opening storage.

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) 1677283991520

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
What is this crease and panel gap for? The rear sail storage opening? It doesn't need that for the doors, as the windows fit in underneath the roof support. I think we might get full fender side opening storage.

1677283991520.png
The Cyber Rodeo units had that. I wouldn't get too hopeful. This is also, in fact... the Cyber Rodeo unit.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The Cyber Rodeo units had that. I wouldn't get too hopeful. This is also, in fact... the Cyber Rodeo unit.
Yeah I also checked that, but what is pretty clear here is that it is not flush with the front, say about 3mm clear of the cabin roof structure? This together with how the black plastic wheel flares are mounted to behind the rear fender panels, instead of on top of them, plus the change in the charger hatch to the flares, makes me think the whole rear sail panel lifts now instead of just the top.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
So we've seen Tesla try out 3 finishes of wheels so far:
- Bight silver (as shown)
- Gunmetal grey (most of the development fleet after the original prototype)
- Black (most recent vehicle with the triangular side-mirrors)

Bright silver seems off - I think because rather than having a contrast to the stainless steel, it instead looks very close to stainless. Gunmetal grey is my favourite so far.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yeah I also checked that, but what is pretty clear here is that it is not flush with the front, say about 3mm clear of the cabin roof structure? This together with how the black plastic wheel flares are mounted to behind the rear fender panels, instead of on top of them, plus the change in the charger hatch to the flares, makes me think the whole rear sail panel lifts now instead of just the top.
I have zoomed every truck I can, and I cannot see a seam. Or at least, a seam that is obvious. a couple of times I reckon I imagined a seam.

i have wondered how it could ever maintain perfect alignment. I did think moving the charging point could be an indicator that the whole side goes up.. but then I thought I was nuts. lol

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) 1677294609889

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I have zoomed every truck I can, and I cannot see a seam. Or at least, a seam that is obvious. a couple of times I reckon I imagined a seam.

i have wondered how it could ever maintain perfect alignment. I did think moving the charging point could be an indicator that the whole side goes up.. but then I thought I was nuts. lol

1677294609889.png
So the seam I am talking about in the photo above is jus the one on the top, inbetween the rear sail fender and the cabin upper frame. (as per my photo and arrow above)

For a full fender sail opening there would not be any other visible joints, as all the rest would be hidden by the door joint, the rear tailgate joint, and lower perimeter of the fender panel. Its essentially invisible then, without the seam from a top opening sail storage.

The storage will become quite accessible and larger than just the top opening version. The wing hinges could also be designed in such a way that they produce side cover when opened, like a sideways hatchback lid. (maybe another spot to put more solar too?)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
So the seam I am talking about in the photo above is jus the one on the top, inbetween the rear sail fender and the cabin upper frame. (as per my photo and arrow above)

For a full fender sail opening there would not be any other visible joints, as all the rest would be hidden by the door joint, the rear tailgate joint, and lower perimeter of the fender panel. Its essentially invisible then, without the seam from a top opening sail storage.

The storage will become quite accessible and larger than just the top opening version. The wing hinges could also be designed in such a way that they produce side cover when opened, like a sideways hatchback lid. (maybe another spot to put more solar too?)
There will be different opinions on this like anything in life. But I'm of the same opinion. Every Cybertruck so far has had that vertical seam above the back window that would indicate an opening. However the only one with the seam horizontally above the rear tires is the original prototype. When I saw that CT at the Petersen, it became obvious that wasn't a good design because it comes to a very sharp point at the end where it meets the tailgate. One of those points, (which is not 3mm) was bent and I got a photo. So the way I see it is that Tesla re-evaluated the storage, and said why not go with the whole quarter panel and get more space. It looks like it folds upward and would make a shaded area, however they had to change the bottom corner where it meets the tailgate. All the latest vehicles have that corner cut with a 45-degree angle, so it wouldn't be a hazard.
Here's the bent pointy end (you can also see the horizontal seam at the bottom of the door:

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) damage

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Here are photos showing the difference now at the bottom corner:

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) saildoorbott

Here's the original with the small sail storage. Imagine that whole panel swinging up, the sharp corner is a hazard, & they had to move the charge door.

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) saildoorori

Here's the CT at the Cyber Rodeo, it has the vertical seam but looks like they changed it to the full quarter panel. Also, I just came up with the thought that the flat side would maintain more space in that storage compartment.

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) saildoor2

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Check out this photo, The side sticks up above the top of the bed, look at how it goes straight down and doesn't follow the contour of the bed. That better be 3mm SS, or that would be an issue.

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) saildoorto

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
There will be different opinions on this like anything in life. But I'm of the same opinion. Every Cybertruck so far has had that vertical seam above the back window that would indicate an opening. However the only one with the seam horizontally above the rear tires is the original prototype. When I saw that CT at the Petersen, it became obvious that wasn't a good design because it comes to a very sharp point at the end where it meets the tailgate. One of those points, (which is not 3mm) was bent and I got a photo. So the way I see it is that Tesla re-evaluated the storage, and said why not go with the whole quarter panel and get more space. It looks like it folds upward and would make a shaded area, however they had to change the bottom corner where it meets the tailgate. All the latest vehicles have that corner cut with a 45-degree angle, so it wouldn't be a hazard.
Here's the bent pointy end (you can also see the horizontal seam at the bottom of the door:

damage.jpg
Yes, that rear sheet metal corner point doesn't look well secured for workmanship fit and finish at all, but of course it's a prototype. But I noticed also, that the rear Attachment Point is also missing in this prototype, even though it is clearly in the Cybertruck media gallery renderings as shown here:

Tesla Cybertruck Incredible Max-Height Cybertruck Shot (Engineering Event, Palo Alto) 1677307706615

I do hope the production units end up looking more like the gallery photos fit and finish wise, (but with the newer tail light design of course) or Wendover Productions will be making another hit piece video as soon as units start rolling off the manufacturing line.

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Check out this photo, The side sticks up above the top of the bed, look at how it goes straight down and doesn't follow the contour of the bed. That better be 3mm SS, or that would be an issue.

saildoortop.jpg
Brilliant photos to confirm that it is a complete single peice quarter panel. I strongly believe that they need to provide a reasonable sail storage option to both meet customer expectations, but mostly because that full size quarter panel storage has around 300l of volume each, that you otherwise would not have access too without it. Even if it's only 150 or 200l, that's the same as a MY frunk, but over a large area which would be perfect to spread tools and trays over for easy access. The shade and protection is a bonus, and would even make a side kitchen possible leaving the main bed and frunk free. (Like the Rivian kitchen)
Sponsored

Last edited: