Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
Regaining consciousness looking up from the floor. A bit confusing and frightening to say the least.
Not from pounding beers or shots of tequila.
Not from being knocked out in a fight.
Not from anything you created or control.
Epilepsy. What a pisser.
3 years ago I was diagnosed and it was determined that years of motocross anarchy was catching up with my body.
Some here know that I have a badass 67 Mercury. Unfortunately I don’t drive it anymore. Start it up,back it out of the garage, warm it up, and give it some sun once a week has become the routine.

After finding the right medication and being seizure free, the Drs. cleared me to drive again. Great! I did just that for about 2 months but had reservations. Uncomfortable and uneasy is a good description. Passenger safety was barely a thought in 1967. No doubt whatsoever I would be maimed or killed in an accident.
Id accepted that possibility.
The issue was what damages and possible deaths to other drivers could i be responsible for. This was the issue. So removing the possibility, I stopped driving.

Finally to the point of this long post, could autonomous vehicles give me independence again?
I don’t convulse and thrash about, I simply
lose conciseness for a moment and drop to the floor. Would autonomous vehicles take over if I did have an momentary issue? Or would I have to have full autonomy set all the time.
Thoughts would be appreciated and valued.
Autonomous vehicles is why I have followed Tesla for years. They know what they are doing and could possibly change my life.

Tesla Cybertruck Independence is taken for granted. 85CBD7E9-3247-46A7-88ED-BE48C1BB41FD
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There has been a fair amount of media attention to videos in which Tesla drivers on autopilot have been captured zonked out at the wheel by drivers in adjacent vehicles whilst on the freeway. In none of these cases has there been an accident AFAIK. But the reception of these videos has been less than enthusiastic. Some politician in Mass, has proposed legislation banning the use of autopilot for this reason alone. Thus though it appears that what Tesla is calling Level 3 could probably get you through a petit mal episode I would not, based on my expeience with it (autopilot that is), want to stake my life or that of others on it.

OP
OP
Cody the cat

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
There has been a fair amount of media attention to videos in which Tesla drivers on autopilot have been captured zonked out at the wheel by drivers in adjacent vehicles whilst on the freeway. In none of these cases has there been an accident AFAIK. But the reception of these videos has been less than enthusiastic. Some politician in Mass, has proposed legislation banning the use of autopilot for this reason alone. Thus though it appears that what Tesla is calling Level 3 could probably get you through a petit mal episode I would not, based on my expeience with it (autopilot that is), want to stake my life or that of others on it.
I definitely understand the hesitation on your part. I have it as well.
I’ve seen the videos of ppl sleeping while on autopilot and understand some of the negative responses. I’d like to bring up something to think about:::
People fear what they don’t understand.
Autonomous vehicles freak ppl out. They don’t get it, trust it, or comprehend it.
Don’t even ask some people to spell it.
My situation is a bit different. Since I lose momentarily conciseness, drs. categorize mine as grand mal. But again, no convulsing and just short term blackout.
What I was thinking about is does autonomous mode allow override by the driver? Meaning could I drive like normal but autonomous mode keep me from drifting lanes or running off the road if there was an issue?

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
I would first be sure that medical diagnosis is accurate. That sounds more like syncope than a seizure.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So your doc cleared you to drive, and that is a normal vehicle? And you're concerned about you being a safety issue when you drive a tesla with the assisted driving?
Dude, where I live docs don't just say, "You might be OK to drive." But the assisted drive is some extra protection.

OP
OP
Cody the cat

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
Petite mal sometimes occurs and surrounding ppl often don’t even know.
Any lose of awareness or control would be defined as grand mal. There are hundreds of types and categories of epilepsy so that makes it almost impossible to lump all seizures into one category or definition.

Like I was saying earlier, im medicated and seizure free for 2 1/2 years. Check it out again and you’ll see what I’m saying.

You’re keenly aware of the damage epilepsy can cause by experiences with your brother. He was lucky to have you with him.

OP
OP
Cody the cat

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
I’m sorry about your brother

OP
OP
Cody the cat

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
So your doc cleared you to drive, and that is a normal vehicle? And you're concerned about you being a safety issue when you drive a tesla with the assisted driving?
Dude, where I live docs don't just say, "You might be OK to drive." But the assisted drive is some extra protection.
2 1/2 years seizure free so it wasn’t really just an ok from the doc. Interesting thing is that if you’re seizure free for 6 months they ok you to drive.
It was me that chose not to drive. My question was how autonomous would react

OP
OP
Cody the cat

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
I would first be sure that medical diagnosis is accurate. That sounds more like syncope than a seizure.
Sure.. you’re right after3 plus years the neurologist have no idea.
What shape is your kidney pace?
Im here all week

Shumby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered), Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z nismo, Infiniti FX50S, Dodge Dakota
Occupation
Sr. Maintance Engineer
Country flag
2 1/2 years seizure free so it wasn’t really just an ok from the doc. Interesting thing is that if you’re seizure free for 6 months they ok you to drive.
It was me that chose not to drive. My question was how autonomous would react
I think it could react. There is already teck that can tell when you are not paying attention. So I would not see this being so dificult to do. It could either take over or take over and park on the side of the road. Even call 911 or call/text a loved one

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
Sure.. you’re right after3 plus years the neurologist have no idea.
What shape is your kidney pace?
Im here all week
Without an EEG during an event or at least a witness truly experienced with seizures, the diagnosis is speculative. Even our EMS folks are not always good at differentiating seizures from similar events. Neurology is rarely physically there to witness an event unless you are in hospital. We are often left with history alone for the diagnosis. Grand mal seizures, unlike most other seizure types, induce a loss of postural tone. You fall down. But so does syncope, which has many causes. The most consistent thing with a grand mal seizure, however, is a postictal period. Meaning a period of generally 5 to 20 minutes or so returning to full cognitive awareness. That does not typically occur with syncope, with the caveat of duration of cause. Anything is possible but without that postictal period, most would be skeptical of the diagnosis. If syncope, it is encouraging to be 2-3 years event free. And assuming you had cardiac monitoring at some point. The total number of events is also an important part of the history. I'm not attempting to make a social media medical diagnosis, offer online medical advice, or to say the diagnosis of seizure is accurate or not. I am suggesting that the proposed question depends, in whole or in part, on the accuracy of the diagnosis. So there's that.......
Sponsored

Last edited: