Investor Day CT was the Wolverine/Lower Trim (Opinion)

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
I’ve seen someone comment already that they think this could be the Wolverine model. Elon has said in the past that the Wolverine version would come second… but I think Tesla could have changed its mind due to recent events.

I’d be careful about saying it is confirmed, but the new platform they talked about yesterday is a *platform,* much like the Model 3 *platform* is also used for the Model Y, and (correct me if I am wrong) the Model X is essentially a larger version of the S. Therefore, we can expect a larger version of the robotaxi built on the same platform at some point in the future.

Likewise, Tesla and Elon have talked about the Cybertruck as a platform, specifically when mentioning the Wolverine variant.

If the past is anything to learn from, Tesla likes to start with the smaller version of the platform first, and then moves on to the larger version. I hope this is the case, and hopefully they won’t force the reservation holders to buy the midsize CT if they really wanted the full size CT.

Perhaps we will get lucky, and they will ramp the two versions in tandem. I could see this happening, especially if they design the variants to share as many parts as possible. Giga Texas certainly has the floor space.

Tesla pitched a full size truck and later mentioned they would make a midsize version as well. There is no reason to believe they would axe the full size truck, especially after all that “everything is bigger in Texas” talk.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The CT bed has always been this length, even on the original reveal prototype, it's only slightly less wide because of the wheel arches required for 4WS. The rear bed walls where always thicker down the bottom than the top for this, there's a obvious crease in the bed side wall, even in the SS version.

All the other dimensions are within reason, but yes 3-5% smaller, mostly by making the nose more compact as there is enough unused length under the dashboard that can used without affecting passenger or load comfort.

That's 7-12" on the vehicle length, the width maybe 2", but overall that is not enough to reclass the vehicle as the Wolverine model. This is simply the "design optimised" version of the CT prototype.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Personally, I think slightly smaller suits me as an RV'er when unhooked, will make it more convenient to park.
And I guess.. also increasing the odds of fitting in people's garages.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Personally, I think slightly smaller suits me as an RV'er when unhooked, will make it more convenient to park.
And I guess.. also increasing the odds of fitting in people's garages.
The main thing for us in Australia is that we don't want CT to be to much wider than the Toyota's track otherwise we won't fit down the same bush tracks. Length with 4WS doesn't matter, and height only rarely, but it can go lower than a Cruiser anyway. Parking you just have to be more picky, or park further away. Otherwise it's fine.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
good point

OP
OP

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
If the measurement talk about the bed is accurate (less than 6 useable feet and barely 4 feet wide) that’s not a full size truck bed.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
I may have missed it somewhere but has Tesla confirmed the length of the bed at the floor with the tailgate closed and how high THAT measurement carries? How many sheets of plywood will fit before the pile has to slant back more? I know the tailgate will have to be down but I don't move but maybe 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood at once or maybe 8 of the 1/2" sheetrock panels. I don't do it often enough to need it to be covered for the rain (I'd just wait til it wasn't going to rain. My projects are rarely time sensitive)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I may have missed it somewhere but has Tesla confirmed the length of the bed at the floor with the tailgate closed and how high THAT measurement carries? How many sheets of plywood will fit before the pile has to slant back more? I know the tailgate will have to be down but I don't move but maybe 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood at once or maybe 8 of the 1/2" sheetrock panels. I don't do it often enough to need it to be covered for the rain (I'd just wait til it wasn't going to rain. My projects are rarely time sensitive)
Tarps also work.

-Crissa

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Tarps also work.

-Crissa
I know. And especially with what I'll end up hauling. I was heading off the "I need my plywood to be covered by the vault cover..." comments.

OP
OP

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
My Ram 1500’s 5’7 bed can haul what I need it to, but it is tight. If the cybertruck bed has essentially the same useable length but is substantially narrower, I will not be able to haul what I normally haul. This isn’t stuff I can just strap in an open bed. I have a tonneau cover for security purposes, which is why the vault on the CT was so attractive.

So, why should Joe Pickup buy a Cybertruck then? He likely will not. I will wait to see the thing before buying. I hope these are not the final dimensions.

Such a bad decision, hard to believe Tesla would go this route.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
if the sides of the Vault were 12", and the bed 48" , that would give it a total of 72"

The truck was originally 82" wide , less 5% = 78" ----- 6" extra width right there.

I don't think the sides are 12", so we can adjust that down and also add that to the bed width.

To think the bed could be close to 4' is way off the mark imo likely closer to 5'

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I don't think the sides are 12", so we can adjust that down and also add that to the bed width.
From the tip of the fender flare, to the innermost tip of the “new” wheel well, you’re confident is not 12”?

PS: to reemphasize a point seemingly not too interesting to others, that this “pre-production beta” has wheel wells whatsoever - that run ~3/4 of the bed’s length

Why is everyone saying 'less than' of a number which is already rounded down?

-Crissa
Presumably based on this:

Tesla Cybertruck Investor Day CT was the Wolverine/Lower Trim (Opinion) 1C915E39-776B-475D-9081-F9BEFC442E50

Tesla Cybertruck Investor Day CT was the Wolverine/Lower Trim (Opinion) 838CD3CA-A9E3-4F93-AAF6-238A92E5CE2D

I think there’s a reasonable assumption that whatever length spec is being discussed, it’s the area in red.

In which case the “less than” comments prob refer to the remainder of the bed length in the blue, green, or even yellow strata
Sponsored