Is $10 premium connectivity sustainable?

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Currently, after the 1 year free. Tesla charges $10 a month for premium connectivity. I believe they use ATT.

Is this model sustainable as the fleet grows? I worry that ATT is going to be like, yo elon, this is too much. Pay more.

At that point our price has to go up too.

Solution? Starlink?

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
At&t has over 200 million subscribers, there's only about 3-4 million Tesla out there, so that's less than 2% of total users, and ATT is always adding more capacity to their networks. Don't think it will be an issue for quite sometime.

starlink is a great system but has never been meant for serving millions of customers with today's current data usage. It's more meant for the rural and low population areas of the world with no or slow internet areas. My Tesla prob doesn't use much data except for streaming Netflix, which rarely happens maybe couple times a month.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
You only get a free year on S/X now, free month 3/Y. I wouldn't be surprised if Cybertruck is 1 month.

I friggin love premium since the Apple Music update!

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
At&t has over 200 million subscribers, there's only about 3-4 million Tesla out there, so that's less than 2% of total users, and ATT is always adding more capacity to their networks. Don't think it will be an issue for quite sometime.

starlink is a great system but has never been meant for serving millions of customers with today's current data usage. It's more meant for the rural and low population areas of the world with no or slow internet areas. My Tesla prob doesn't use much data except for streaming Netflix, which rarely happens maybe couple times a month.
Long term if tesla is multi millions of cars per year it could become substantial. Not saying att can't handle. Just thinking they'd raise the price

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla isn’t paying $10/ month to AT&T. Likely they make a small profit.

Hopefully Cybertruck uses Starlink, frustrating losing cellular in the sticks. Maybe they do a hybrid with T-Mobile and Starlink in the future.

Full Starlink mobile is $115+ / month for mobile service. I seriously doubt you’d get that as part of Premium connectivity. But if they offered it as an option, I would ditch my local Comcast service and use that for all internet. When I leave the house all my Siri stuff would weep.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Tesla isn’t paying $10/ month to AT&T. Likely they make a small profit.

Hopefully Cybertruck uses Starlink, frustrating losing cellular in the sticks. Maybe they do a hybrid with T-Mobile and Starlink in the future.

Full Starlink mobile is $115+ / month for mobile service. I seriously doubt you’d get that as part of Premium connectivity. But if they offered it as an option, I would ditch my local Comcast service and use that for all internet. When I leave the house all my Siri stuff would weep.
Yea I wouldn't expect them to be paying exactly 10 lol.

But if their profits shrink they're not just gonna be cool with it. Would have to raise the price. I wonder how long that att contract is good.

I bet tesla would have a cheaper than 115/month plan for a starlink subscription considering the amount of data likely used on average.

I'm sure if they added starlink they'd try to make it so you couldn't siphon to other devices lol

cryptobob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Would be awesome if they at least used starlink for a backup connection in those times where you are passing through rural areas that don't have great service coverage.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
$10 a month, just pay $100 a year. Save $20
I don't pay it at all tbh. Doesn't do anything I can't do on my phone or with hotspot

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm sure if they added starlink they'd try to make it so you couldn't siphon to other devices lol
I would want the reverse. The option for Starlink to be my everything internet. As in I get home and my home mesh network talks through my truck.

That way I would just need a cell phone and my truck and anywhere I go I’m lit up. I could take a pop up and spend the week in the boondocks with my pop up as my office.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I would want the reverse. The option for Starlink to be my everything internet. As in I get home and my home mesh network talks through my truck.

That way I would just need a cell phone and my truck and anywhere I go I’m lit up. I could take a pop up and spend the week in the boondocks with my pop up as my office.
Thatd be dope. U less someone else lives in your house

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Starlink downlinks come in varying speeds. The package for vehicles is not likely to have the same bandwidth as the one for homesteads and villages.

-Crissa

rjtumble

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche, Subaru Forrester, Ford Focus, 1932 Deuce Coupe
Occupation
Computer Support
Country flag

I think your argument is sound and completely irrelevant to AT&T saying “You’re using too much, you have to pay more”. If it’s popular, they’ll want to charge more.

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
That doesn't sound right to me. If you are selling hundreds of something you have overhead you need to cover, if you are selling thousands of that same thing, each sale doesn't need as much profit to cover that overhead
Sponsored