Is China Becoming a Long Term Problem?

Geo

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
He wasn't Air Evacuated back to Australia.
The way he tells the story, he was abandoned by the insurance company and the Hospital he was taken to in the U.S.

After being kicked out, he stayed in a motel overnight after leaving hospital while waiting for his regular consumer flight back to Australia. Wasn't accompanied by any medical personal. Got the surgery for free in Australia.

OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
More than 50 years ago Canada outlawed its private health insurance industry whose duties were assumed by each of its 10 provinces as was community hospital ownership. In the US, private indemnity health insurance has disappeared and been replaced by the Managed Care industry whose major role is to authorize the delivery of health care services but not necessarily pay for them. Canada and Australia seem to have evolved past us and eliminated unnecessary private sector third party corruption/collusion between politically vested corporate payers ( Congressional Cronies) and our hospitals which are rarely community owned but are represented by a lobbying organization (AHA).
In the US the direct employees of the managed care industry now outnumber our actively practicing state licensed physicians.

• Wow
Reactions: Geo
OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The light at the end of America’s health care tunnel is that our patient public is beginning to figure out that something is amiss just as private practice physicians are beginning to realize the value of direct cash practice over joining multiple specialty networks and participating with Innumerable insurance panels. Right now many of us are in Congress and eventually one or two will begin a follow the taxpayer dollar investigation with Tepid support from one of our political parties.

OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The problems with free health care for all is how it’s paid for and who gets to handle the money first. In the US lots of taxpayer money ends up in the pockets of our 535 Congressman and their leadership and reelection Political Action Committees. There isn’t enough tax payer money to begin with from payroll deductions for social security, disability, Medicare and income taxes because less than half of our population actually are employed and contributing. Moreover the average Medicare beneficiary costs more towards the end of their lives than they paid in, over 3 times more. This is the classic Ponzie scheme. So Congress has set up a bureaucracy for doing the rationing in the Department of Health and Human Service, specifically CMS (center of Medicare and Medicaid services). Some of us retired physicians know this as the Congressional Moneylaundering Service. In turn this bloated bureaucracy which is now located in Baltimore because of limited office space left in Washington, DC has empowered the private sector Managed Care industry to do the rationing. So the dirty little secret for our seniors who are entitled to Medicare is that you better have invested in United Heath Care, CVS-Aetna, Humana, Cigna and the corporate members of America’s Health Insurance Plans if you want to pay your private practice physicians.

mrbulk

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
I just hope China does not use corporate spies to steal Tesla's proprietary battery (and EV) tech and handing it over to state-supported EV brands...:oops:

Geo

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
In the US lots of taxpayer money ends up in the pockets of our 535 Congressman and their leadership and reelection Political Action Committees.
Hey Artie, I could have sworn you were a Republican, then a couple of your posts had me reconsidering, as you were sounding like both a Democrat and a Republican. Then you last post leans more towards Democrat.

So in conclusion, with all the sharp observations you’re making, I'm going to leave at, you are plain reasonable

Firstly it has to be said, the 20th century was the American century, no other country did more for the progress of civilisation in general, and its self.

And while its still pushing forward in many, many ways, it does have some highly serious fractures and weakness’s about it. Some that have been visible for a quite a while, and growing.

I think a number of systems are broken in the U.S.
The political system, the medical system, Wall St. The Justice System.

As Socrates suggested, Democracy is an intrinsically flawed system.

But it is the best of all other alternative’s.
However it doesn’t help when people set out to weaken it further.

P.S. If there is one thing that is disturbing about America to me and many others, it is how Trump is being supported. First by an enormous volume of people, then by the sycophants and enablers, with their self interests.

But now, how the check’s and balances are failing. Being dismantled.
I can understand people being sick of the political establishment turning to an alternative, even a very unorthodox one.

But I don’t get people turning a blind eye to Trump’s very visible short comings, that just keep mounting up.

To me, he has very limited understanding of consequences, has avoided all consequences to himself, (some by sheer luck) to line up the U.S. in the path of the worst consequences.

Caligula was very destructive for Rome, but it was the sycophants and enablers that were the problem. But then again he was an actual Emperor in ancient times, not like today.

I found this Ted talk quite interesting, perhaps you might too, if you haven’t already seen it.

“Beware, fellow plutocrats, the pitchforks are coming | Nick Hanauer”

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350, Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I just hope China does not use corporate spies to steal Tesla's proprietary battery (and EV) tech and handing it over to state-supported EV brands...:oops:
It's not if, it's when.

So long as the rest of the world enforces the reversal effect of Tesla's open patents and doesn't let Chinese imports get away with rampant copyright infringement, we may yet see parallel growth and not another market swamped by cheap Chinese knockoffs.

OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Geo,
This guy Hanauer admits to being a banker. Last I looked CD rates were 1.3%
That’s no way to beat inflation nor appease a proletariate yearning to be in the bourgeoisie and have a family and carryon the family name. That’s why we have stock markets and the ability to own Dow 30 companies and future Dow 30 companies like Tesla. This guy doesn’t need to beat inflation. You and I do so we can get to enjoy life’s pleasures like a Cybertruck. Elon Musk and Donald Trump are real not fake. They both believe that the stock market is the great equalizer So do I. You get to own things in a capitalist democracy more than just your take home pay.. You have to learn how. That’s how life experience sometimes exceeds higher education in value.
At a thoroughbred racetrack sometimes you bet on the horse and sometimes you bet on the jockey. The important thing is winning more than losing. You have to know horses, you have to know jockeys and you have to know that the race data in the Daily Telegraph is real, not fake news. In a capitalist democracy everyone has the opportunity to own a Race horse, not just the Plutocracy/ Ruling Class.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Oh man, there's a supertanker of stupid in this thread, but the way health care is managed in the USA right now is a billion times stupider.

Geo

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Sometimes I think our problems stem from the fact that we can’t help but look at situations, concepts through a filter that stops us from seeing things clearly. And it takes a while to struggle with and see something for what its truely worth.

Case in point the Cybertruck.

Some people will always be completely put off by the aesthetics.
And will never allow themselves to see the phenomenal functionality, attributes that are intrinsic to it. And therefore its benefits.

Let alone comprehend that its aesthetics are intrinsic to bringing about that functionality. Which intern makes it very appealing to me, who was already attracted to one or two of its visual cues.

As an Options trader, specifically a Put Writer, I know a little bit, about the Stock Market.

While Elon, Gates and others making money from their equity and ideas is admirable and justified. There are many more who are far less worthy, and they have minor if any risk to their earnings, the risk reward system is so distorted, it is practically inverted !

And that’s even before you get to the philosophical end of the issue. Where ultimately where for Anti trust reasons government needs to step in and break up monopoly’s like Rockefeller’s Standard Oil and AT&T into the “baby Bell’s.

The market is corrupted, I don’t necessarily mean criminal, I mean no integrity.

Dark Pools,
High Frequency Algorithmic Trading. ( By the way Musk is on a winner with Starlink and its latency)
Exotic financial instruments embedded with worthless assets, Etc etc.

Case in point. The Stock Market today is completely unhinged from reality. Yes it can be forward looking, and so is not always in sync with the general society/economy.

But today it is well and truely unhinged :
  • 40 million people file for unemployment in 2months !!
  • while there is a Pandemic killing demand. and people !
  • While there is a global lockdown killing supply and demand.
  • While it is KNOWN the 3rd qtr will be a disaster for 90% of company’s,
  • While it is known 2020 will be a retraction for economy’s in so many ways
Dow collapses 30% in 3 weeks and climbs back up approx. 24% in immediate next 4 weeks ! Thats not a recovery, that’s not a “V” shaped recovery as some suggest, that’s closer to an “ I “ shaped recovery or a flash crash ! Its not a recovery.

Now that’s something that paradoxically is simultaneously very real, and very fake !

I think that banker’s warning and his reasoning has even more merit today.

Last edited:
OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Geo,

I don’t particularly like community bankers. They tend to be patronizing and risk averse who believe in corporatism where your salary depends on the number of subordinates you rule over. That’s a Harvard MBA thing. When I wanted to buy our first family house in Philadelphia when I started in solo practice In 1986, they wouldn’t give me a small mortgage on a townhouse we already rented and lived in during residency and fellowship. So I bought it outright on a margin loan at half the interest and deducted it. At that time most physicians were heavily invested in American drug companies.
I do have a friend who was an investment banker early in his career who made so much money that he could spend the rest of his career as a Rabbi and VA chaplain.

Reactions: Geo
OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Geo,
The 40 million unemployed over two months you correctly note is why I am so critical of the continuing coordinated lockdown policy of many Blue State politicians. Elderly and infirm people are continuing to die from Covid19 when exposed but the herd who now find themselves out of school, work and recreation have now taken to rioting in the streets of those same Blue States ( with a little help from Antifa ) because of a horrible police crime in Minneapolis which has ignited a long hot summer just like the assassination of Martin Luther King 53 years ago.