Is Elon being very conservative with TRI-motor 0-60 times? Is 2.5 possible?

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
If we look at the Tesla Model X for comparison, it weighs about 5500 LBS and the Dual Motor Ludicrous version does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds.

The CT will probably be the same or certainly a bit heavier....but also have TRI motor Plaid "Alien Technology" built into it. Aerodynamically, the CT can't be that much worse, can it?

I'm thinking the CT will get down to the 2.6, 2.5 or even potentially the 2.4 range after some OTA updates a bit after launch.

Anyone else agree? Or maybe the big tires slow it down too much?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
When it comes to 0 - 60 drag doesn't have a whole lot to do with it. Most of the energy from the motor goes into increasing m*v^2.

I usually assume that the CT will weigh 2700 kg. Sixty mph is 26.82 m/sec so accelerating to 60 in 2.9 seconds implies a = 9.25 m/sec/sec (an impressive 0.94 g!) and thrust of f = m*a = 24972 N. Assuming acceleration is uniform over the 2.9 sec the power required to go from 59.99999999 mph to 60 is m*a*v = 669.824 kW ( 897 HP). Drop the time from 2.9 to 2.4 and clearly both thrust and peak power would have to be 2.9/2.4 times as great, that is 30.1 kN on the thrust, 809 kW on the power and 1084 on the HP. That last number gives me pause but then it is based on a weight assumption. If Tesla can get the weight down to (2.4/2.9)*2700 = 2234 kg (4916 lbs) then yes, a time of 2.4 sec. is possible. I won't be holding my breath.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
The Model X weighs 5,531 lbs (2,508Kg). I'll bet the CT weighs quite a bit more than that. But, if one of the assumptions is that the CT weighs the same as the MX, bear in mind the performance MX does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds with its two motors. It's odd to think the Tri-Motor CT weighing the same would be slower 0-60 with 50% more motors. Unless, the MX also has three motors. I mean, I checked Tesla's site and it says the MX has dual motors though I thought it had three. Anyway, it's a moot point because I suspect the CT will weigh closer to 3,100 Kg in production form.

It'd be a kick in the pants to be faster than most cars on the road though.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The third motor in the CT is not there for speed. It is there for torque so that you can get a towing load 3 (?) times larger than what the X can handle up to speed in reasonable time. That extra torque happens to confer more speed when not towing but they didn't put it in there for that.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The Model X weighs 5,531 lbs (2,508Kg). I'll bet the CT weighs quite a bit more than that. But, if one of the assumptions is that the CT weighs the same as the MX, bear in mind the performance MX does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds with its two motors. It's odd to think the Tri-Motor CT weighing the same would be slower 0-60 with 50% more motors. Unless, the MX also has three motors. I mean, I checked Tesla's site and it says the MX has dual motors though I thought it had three. Anyway, it's a moot point because I suspect the CT will weigh closer to 3,100 Kg in production form.

It'd be a kick in the pants to be faster than most cars on the road though.
Yeah the inverter in the back looks a lot like another motor.
Tesla Cybertruck Is Elon being very conservative with TRI-motor 0-60 times? Is 2.5 possible? 1592330147525

The model 3 and Y are more integrated into the drive unit now.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Yeah the inverter in the back looks a lot like another motor.
1592330147525.png

The model 3 and Y are more integrated into the drive unit now.
So, if the MX does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, and if the CT weighs the same, why wouldn't it be faster 0-60 if it had an additional motor?

And thanks for the picture. I couldn't find anything other than "Model X has dual motors" on the Tesla site.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
At best the 3 motor will be around 2.9 second 0-60, however they may have a Plaid model, that may get you down to the 2.4 or 2.5 second area. Can't imagine what that upgrade would cost.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
At best the 3 motor will be around 2.9 second 0-60, however they may have a Plaid model, that may get you down to the 2.4 or 2.5 second area. Can't imagine what that upgrade would cost.
Why do you say "at best" the 3 motor will be around 2.9 seconds? The MX is 2.6 seconds with only 2 motors...

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Why do you say "at best" the 3 motor will be around 2.9 seconds? The MX is 2.6 seconds with only 2 motors...
Your logic makes sense to me TyPope. Given the same weight and potentially bigger battery i would imagine the tri-motor set up would be quicker. However maybe we are forgetting that just because there are 3 motors, that wouldn't necessarily mean they have a greater output.

I think it is safe to say the Tri-Motor will reach a 2.9 0-60 time, maybe 2.7 if motortrend test it. Then Within a year or so Tesla will figure out how to make it quicker and put it into an update, or charge for it.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I second that? I think there are a few of us here getting the tri, who are hoping for a weeee bit more on a 0-60 time. Because it’s very possible for that to be tweaked still.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I second that? I think there are a few of us here getting the tri, who are hoping for a weeee bit more on a 0-60 time. Because it’s very possible for that to be tweaked still.
Right? I haven't tracked nor am I going to go look through the company history, but aside from delivery timeline, has Tesla ever NOT been able to meet Elon's claims?

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right? I haven't tracked nor am I going to go look through the company history, but aside from delivery timeline, has Tesla ever NOT been able to meet Elon's claims?
Say no more. ? Tesla has always achieved “met” Elon’s claims.
Elon is just a BEAST! I’m getting goosebumps just texting this?

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm not a physicist but don't those massive wheels somewhat limit the acceleration. It's definitely going to be more work to spin those suckers than the wheels on other Tesla models.
Re: final 0-60, Tesla's pretty good at sticking to the numbers, if only by software limitations. Always fun to get a 5% performance boost a month or two after you've bought your vehicle.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not a physicist but don't those massive wheels somewhat limit the acceleration. It's definitely going to be more work to spin those suckers than the wheels on other Tesla models.
Re: final 0-60, Tesla's pretty good at sticking to the numbers, if only by software limitations. Always fun to get a 5% performance boost a month or two after you've bought your vehicle.
Me neither. Just a regular ol dad. But, with this tri-motor CT, I can be a super hero. ?
I’m guessing 0-60 time is met by tri motor and also software and they know how much they can crank it up to meet those numbers. The xtra motor will Help assist is this endeavor. I’m sure it helps balance the workload.
Sponsored