Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Hi,

Question for anyone here that might be able give their opinion. My reservation number is, RN113530685 Dual Motor with FSD (reserved in June 2020). I know there is an insane number of orders and need to purchase a car in 2021. I’m willing to wait until late 2021 as long as I’m likely to get it in time.
I assume that with my reservation number my order I might not receive mine until 2022 sometime? Is it worth keeping my reservation with me needing to purchase a car in 2021?
Sponsored

Revelation

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Res: Rivian R1T, Res: Tesla Cybertruck Tri-Motor + FSD
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Hi,

Question for anyone here that might be able give their opinion. My reservation number is, RN113530685 Dual Motor with FSD (reserved in June 2020). I know there is an insane number of orders and need to purchase a car in 2021. I’m willing to wait until late 2021 as long as I’m likely to get it in time.
I assume that with my reservation number my order I might not receive mine until 2022 sometime? Is it worth keeping my reservation with me needing to purchase a car in 2021?
You are not getting your Cybertruck in 2021. Based on your RN number you are somewhere around the 780k mark. You maybe able to get it, depending on region and cancellations, sometime in mid-2023.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Hi,

Are you worried about your current vehicle lasting? What is the reason for NEEDING it late 2021

OP
OP

CyborgTrk

First Name
Kamarii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
You are not getting your Cybertruck in 2021. Based on your RN number you are somewhere around the 780k mark. You maybe able to get it, depending on region and cancellations, sometime in mid-2023.
Thank you!! Appreciate that. I figured I was suuuuper late.

OP
OP

CyborgTrk

First Name
Kamarii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Are you worried about your current vehicle lasting? What is the reason for NEEDING it late 2021
I just moved from NYC to Jersey and still work in NYC. Whenever I’m in Jersey to run errands or grocery shop it’s in an Uber. Obviously in NYC I never needed to drive so it was never a pressing issue.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I just moved from NYC to Jersey and still work in NYC. Whenever I’m in Jersey to run errands or grocery shop it’s in an Uber. Obviously in NYC I never needed to drive so it was never a pressing issue.
Ah I see.. well a few suggestions then.. One hack it out as long as you can. Two, Maybe invest in an electric bicycle with some cargo carrying ability? Three.. Get something SUPER cheap to hold you over. I bought something affordable and SUPER good on gas to hold me over till the CT.. But mine shows me getting it early 2022. I had to be smart that I wasn't just throwing away money in the mean time so definitely don't look at anything new.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Hi,

You could ask at local service centers if you could get a (perhaps used) other Tesla until your CT arrives. (The "get" might be a purchase-to-become-a-trade-in, or a lease/rental, or who knows.)

OP
OP

CyborgTrk

First Name
Kamarii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Ah I see.. well a few suggestions then.. One hack it out as long as you can. Two, Maybe invest in an electric bicycle with some cargo carrying ability? Three.. Get something SUPER cheap to hold you over. I bought something affordable and SUPER good on gas to hold me over till the CT.. But mine shows me getting it early 2022. I had to be smart that I wasn't just throwing away money in the mean time so definitely don't look at anything new.
Great idea, I’ve been wrestling with buying an old classic for weekends anyway, which should fix my craving and hold me over with all of my driving needs. While I wait for my Cybertruck. The long wait time is torturing but I personally believe the Cybertruck would prove to be an investment years to come if I just stick it out.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hi,

They will only begin production (if that) at the end of 2021, so none of us will see a CT next year. I would have said something different a few months ago, but seeing how slow the contractors in Austin are I no longer see them being able to produce CTs in Austin before the end of 2021. That said, unless you desperately need the $100 back, and if you are still interested in the CT, why not hold onto the reservation? I held onto my Model Y reservation (and that was $2,500) to within a month of them starting to deliver Model Ys.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
They will only begin production (if that) at the end of 2021, so none of us will see a CT next year. I would have said something different a few months ago, but seeing how slow the contractors in Austin are I no longer see them being able to produce CTs in Austin before the end of 2021. That said, unless you desperately need the $100 back, and if you are still interested in the CT, why not hold onto the reservation? I held onto my Model Y reservation (and that was $2,500) to within a month of them starting to deliver Model Ys.
Umm yeah.. construction is actually coming along very rapidly. Now 3 shifts and 24hours.. 7 Days a week. Idk what kind of construction your used to in the Bay Area lol

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Umm yeah.. construction is actually coming along very rapidly. Now 3 shifts and 24hours.. 7 Days a week. Idk what kind of construction your used to in the Bay Area lol
You are clearly not watching the progress every day, and construction in the Bay Area is incredibly slow, but no one in the Bay Area is saying that they will build a factory a mile long and a quarter mile wide and start manufacturing a completely new design and unproven methodology in 12 months either. As for the 24x7 activity, they are limiting to geopier drilling and digging pads and not much else. They have hundreds of pads now and the rate at which they add new sections to the building is very slow. So I have to shoot the insult back at you. By what metric, other than hearsay, do you consider the work to be rapid? They have on paper first dry in at the end of December. A rapid pace would mean they were ahead of schedule and should have their first dry in before the end of the month. Not a chance. None. They couldn’t dry in a single section of building in that time at their current pace. Watch the videos and decide.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You are clearly not watching the progress every day, and construction in the Bay Area is incredibly slow, but no one in the Bay Area is saying that they will build a factory a mile long and a quarter mile wide and start manufacturing a completely new design and unproven methodology in 12 months either. As for the 24x7 activity, they are limiting to geopier drilling and digging pads and not much else. They have hundreds of pads now and the rate at which they add new sections to the building is very slow. So I have to shoot the insult back at you. By what metric, other than hearsay, do you consider the work to be rapid? They have on paper first dry in at the end of December. A rapid pace would mean they were ahead of schedule and should have their first dry in before the end of the month. Not a chance. None. They couldn’t dry in a single section of building in that time at their current pace. Watch the videos and decide.
Looks like another challenge to the Tesla team... We shall have to see how it plays out.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Looks like another challenge to the Tesla team... We shall have to see how it plays out.
True enough. At the end of the day everyone here is on the same side...we are all desperately waiting for Giga/Tera Austin to be built and for the CTs to roll off the line. I watch every video that comes out (and support the effort). The sad reality is that they could have ten times as many crews out there building this factory now that they have so many of the pads in. They would have to step up the deliveries and they would need more cranes but that is what it would take (based solely on the published schedule). One possible explanation is that there simply aren’t that many construction crews in the Austin area and that they cannot get the materials faster than they are. Another possible explanation is simply bad planning. This one is scary but the result may be the same.

Let’s say they add one section (3 quads and 2 levels) of that building a week like they have been, and in this one building there are maybe 200 more sections to go, and two more buildings in Phase 1? And that doesn’t include any on the complexity of the south end, the switch area, walls, foundations under the skeleton, etc. So, 200 weeks for one building of three? To complete the outer skeleton for a single building they would have to build a section just about every day. Now that they are able to move in both directions at once maybe they can double their rate but they have to triple that. They are not doing this kind of work at night. As much as I hate to say it I am having a hard time seeing more than a fraction of the Phase 1 buildings operational a year from now. Maybe that will be enough? I want to be wrong on this. Yes, nervous wait and see period. As @ajdelange might say, I want to believe in magic, but don’t.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Well.. I can say I deal with construction and construction administration often. Overseeing the buildings I and my team design get constructed. I can tell you that the pace they are going at is more rapid than what many in the industry consider to be "quick". I have seen much smaller buildings be completed within 7-11 months and that is considered quick. we are talking 30-50 thousand square foot projects. Not nearly the same scale.

So yeah I don't have a "Metric" comparison to give you. Also not trying to throw around insults. We do work in the bay area, California in general, so I can promise EVERYTHING THERE IS SLOW HAHA. We have been starring at basically site work since they started. Which has been extensive and is usually pretty lackluster to look at.

Edit: "First dry in" could mean pretty much any small section of the building, I doubt they mean all of the "Phase 1" building. That would be insane.
Sponsored

Last edited: