Is the CT GigaPress on site?

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Just looked at Randy's latest drone footage out at Austin, and he mentioned that all of the wall paneling was in place around the casting cathedral. Does that mean that the CT 8k Ton press is on site?

I know there are some loading bay doors around the cathedral, but are they big enough to fit the 8k press through it?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I know there are some loading bay doors around the cathedral, but are they big enough to fit the 8k press through it?
The new pads hadn't been covered with equipment when the walls went up, but Tesla has never been shy of opening a wall up - they do it all the time at Nevada and Fremont.

But I think the remaining door is large enough.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The new pads hadn't been covered with equipment when the walls went up, but Tesla has never been shy of opening a wall up - they do it all the time at Nevada and Fremont.

But I think the remaining door is large enough.

-Crissa
As far as anyone knows it has not been delivered. Both Jeff and Joe have recently taken video through the window openings and there is nothing near the new pads and no UDRA boxes.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I think the presses are built in modular sections and assembled on the foundations.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As far as anyone knows it has not been delivered. Both Jeff and Joe have recently taken video through the window openings and there is nothing near the new pads and no UDRA boxes.
Which makes us wonder where it is. It supposedly came off the boat if the tense in Elon's remarks was right...

Who knows? The boxes could be inside already but still boxes.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Which makes us wonder where it is. It supposedly came off the boat if the tense in Elon's remarks was right...

Who knows? The boxes could be inside already but still boxes.

-Crissa
Did I miss something that Elon said about the 8K ton gigapress?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
He said they had to put it in a bunch of trucks in a previous interview earlier this year.

-Crissa
Well, if that is true, I don't think it is at giga austin. We have gotten good views into the die casting area and there aren't any IDRA boxes, opened or unopened, in there, and nothing on the 2 pads they finished before the walls went up.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
He said they had to put it in a bunch of trucks in a previous interview earlier this year.

-Crissa
I could be way wrong, but my understanding of that comment was that it was in reference to the MY mega-casting machines and not the one intended for the CT.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Just looked at Randy's latest drone footage out at Austin, and he mentioned that all of the wall paneling was in place around the casting cathedral. Does that mean that the CT 8k Ton press is on site?

The 8k Giga Presses for the CT are repeatedly going to be on the east side of the casting building. Before the walls went up the foundations had not been set. The large bay doors I believe can accommodate the IDRA containers/boxes. But if not then like Crissa said, Tesla has removed the walls before.

The bridge crane "should" be installed prior to 8k foundations but not necessarily, to allow the lifts to be able to properly install the crane without foundations and or giga presses in the way.

Remember, Tesla is focusing on the massive backlog of the Model Y first since it will be easier to ramp up than an alien technology Cybertruck. I anticipate all six 6k giga presses installed first before even the foundations are set for the 8k.

And to get get a better idea of a timeline for the 8k giga press completion. It took 3-4 weeks to set the foundations of the 6k GP and around 2 months to assemble the GP. So, whenever we see the start of a new foundation then we are looking at around 3 months before that GP is operational.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Remember, Tesla is focusing on the massive backlog of the Model Y first since it will be easier to ramp up than an alien technology Cybertruck. I anticipate all six 6k giga presses installed first before even the foundations are set for the 8k.
Gigapress count is a good proxy for expected capacity. Each GP produces about 250,000 castings per year (40/ hour * 18 hour days * 365 days). You need 2 castings per Model Y with the new design so 2 GP makes 250k units. 6 GP means they expect to produce 750k units. That’s at a little under 75% capacity.

If Tesla puts in 2 GP, for the Cybertruck we’re looking at 250,000 trucks/ year. But wait… I’ve heard they can use the 6k GP for the front assembly of the Cybertruck. I’m not entirely sure about this so if we see 2 8k GP go in there is still hope we’ll see capacity for half a million a year. (Someone who knows this feel free to correct me)

And to get get a better idea of a timeline for the 8k giga press completion. It took 3-4 weeks to set the foundations of the 6k GP and around 2 months to assemble the GP. So, whenever we see the start of a new foundation then we are looking at around 3 months before that GP is operational.
I thought they’d already put all the foundations in for the presses. It would be pretty weird to pour the floor and not install the footings you’d need for these beasts. It would be equally weird to close up the walls if you had big foundations left to pour. The kind of equipment you use to put in big footings like this isn’t something you drive into a walled in/ floored building if you have the option of doing it in advance.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I thought they’d already put all the foundations in for the presses. It would be pretty weird to pour the floor and not install the footings you’d need for these beasts. It would be equally weird to close up the walls if you had big foundations left to pour. The kind of equipment you use to put in big footings like this isn’t something you drive into a walled in/ floored building if you have the option of doing it in advance.
There were two 'halls' in that corner of the building and they left the second one free of any holes or cement which I think is to give them space to expand. Once they started to use the 6k casting machines, I noticed they were taking up significantly less floospace than while testing them or at Fremont.

So Tesla has no fear of moving this stuff around under the roof. I'd assume they'd switched to using some amount of space in the building for the assembly parts staging since the 'robot yard' outside had been disbanded.

-Crissa

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Gigapress count is a good proxy for expected capacity. Each GP produces about 250,000 castings per year (40/ hour * 18 hour days * 365 days). You need 2 castings per Model Y with the new design so 2 GP makes 250k units. 6 GP means they expect to produce 750k units. That’s at a little under 75% capacity.

If Tesla puts in 2 GP, for the Cybertruck we’re looking at 250,000 trucks/ year. But wait… I’ve heard they can use the 6k GP for the front assembly of the Cybertruck. I’m not entirely sure about this so if we see 2 8k GP go in there is still hope we’ll see capacity for half a million a year. (Someone who knows this feel free to correct me)

Sorry for the long reply but based on Joe Tegtmeyers research and detailed explanation on his 4/25/21 video I think this is what is going on.

The currently Installed GP's are the 6k for the Model Y (1,2&3) located on the West side of the original Casting structure. I believe 4,5 & 6 will be 8k GP for the CV on the Eastside. due to the bridge crane locations, it makes sense for an entire row (North to South) of the same kind of GP for the Bridge Crane to be able to service. Therefore, I believe the Model Ys will be on the Westside and CTs on the Eastside due to being located closer to the exterior walls which makes it easier to install in the future.
Tesla Cybertruck Is the CT GigaPress on site? Screenshot (35)

Tesla Cybertruck Is the CT GigaPress on site? Screenshot (36)

Tesla Cybertruck Is the CT GigaPress on site? Screenshot (38)

I be;live this will be the layout of the Giga Presses. Between 6-8 of the 6K and 6-8 of the 8K
Tesla Cybertruck Is the CT GigaPress on site? Screenshot (40)_LI

This image is from 10/11/21 showing the area where the foundations will be set for what I believe is the 8K GPs
Tesla Cybertruck Is the CT GigaPress on site? Screenshot (43)

And here on 10/13/21 just as the remaining walls were being put up you can still see the outline or "step" of the existing pad versus the dirt.
Tesla Cybertruck Is the CT GigaPress on site? Screenshot (46)_LI

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Awesome, thanks.

If they do install 12 Giga Presses, that puts production capacity near 1.5 million vehicles a year which seems about right for the size of the facility.
Good math. I didn't want to make my previous post longer than it was but they technically have room for 16 Giga Presses in that footprint. I think that expansion won't happen until 2024 or 2025 though.
Sponsored