Is the stainless steel used in the Cyber Truck attracted to a magnet or not?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I know someone that was trying to learn how to apply the vinyl wraps to stock cars. He practiced on several different things he had around the farm before doing an actual car. One thing he practiced on was a cattle trough he had tigged together from stainless. That was about 3 or 4 years ago. It is still in good shape except around the edge where the cows rub along it. It has been out in the pasture in the weather all this time and no problem sticking. But that was wrap not a sticker so who knows.
Good to know. I'm seriously considering a partial wrap on my truck.

I figure so long as the edges of the wrap don't get peeled a wrap should stay for a long time. Even if the adhesion is so-so, the center or the wrap is more or less suctioned on.
Sponsored

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Good to know. I'm seriously considering a partial wrap on my truck.

I figure so long as the edges of the wrap don't get peeled a wrap should stay for a long time. Even if the adhesion is so-so, the center or the wrap is more or less suctioned on.
Yeah I seriously don’t think you will have a problem with the wrap. I hate to say that and your wrap slides off on your second trip to the store but in all honesty I do not believe it will be an issue for anyone.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
If I were going to wrap my CT (which I would never do) I would have an understanding with whoever did the wrap that there would be a money back guarantee for a specific amount of time.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Depends on the grade. Even some things that claim to be stainless just have a stainless finish and are still highly magnetic.

When I was building research machinery in a magnet lab we always built our devices out of medical grade stainless since they could handle being in a 17 Tesla environment without being attracted to anything or thermally conducting out of the assembly. While I doubt the entire CT will be medical grade, I would be surprised if the starship grade steel is magnetic and that's what they're claiming to build them with.
You've got a point there, as in "all that glitters is not gold!" I have a knife collection. Damascus blades are highly desirable, but not all that appears to be Damascus is true Damascus. Some is laser etched merely to appear Damascus.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You've got a point there, as in "all that glitters is not gold!" I have a knife collection. Damascus blades are highly desirable, but not all that appears to be Damascus is true Damascus. Some is laser etched merely to appear Damascus.
Often those laser etched blades are just as good or better knives than the "Damascus". Damascus, wootz, and folded steel were techniques designed to mitigate the limitations of crappy base metals. With newer high quality steels we have, it's just beauty marks.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Often those laser etched blades are just as good or better knives than the "Damascus". Damascus, wootz, and folded steel were techniques designed to mitigate the limitations of crappy base metals. With newer high quality steels we have, it's just beauty marks.
As in everything else, I guess it all depends on the craftsman and the materials used. I had a laser etched blade that rubbed off when Frog Lubing the blade for rust prevention.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I have an automatic driveway gate opener (for when I’m exiting) that picks up a magnetic signature of a vehicle. This is so an animal walking in the driveway won’t activate the gate. I’m wondering if I will have a problem with the cybertruck.
You might need to hang your truck nuts on the front bumper! :unsure:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It may not have the tight signature for a magnet, but it will still trip a ground loop sensor. Remember, lots of cars are aluminum which has a much lighter EM shadow than stainless steel.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I owned an late-90’s Toyota Corolla not too long ago. There is a magnetic sensor for a left turn arrow at the intersection of my current hospital. I found that if I were the only vehicle in the turn lane that my car would not activate the sensor to turn. I got a donut-shaped magnet, a powerful one we use to shut off pacemakers, and stuck it to the oil pan. I never had a problem of tripping the sensor after that.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
It may not have the tight signature for a magnet, but it will still trip a ground loop sensor. Remember, lots of cars are aluminum which has a much lighter EM shadow than stainless steel.

-Crissa
Yeah, but the EMF signature from the motors and batteries and the axles rolling past will likely be plenty as well. The ferromagnetic properties of the vehicle surface will probably be minimal at most.

OP
OP

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I owned an late-90’s Toyota Corolla not too long ago. There is a magnetic sensor for a left turn arrow at the intersection of my current hospital. I found that if I were the only vehicle in the turn lane that my car would not activate the sensor to turn. I got a donut-shaped magnet, a powerful one we use to shut off pacemakers, and stuck it to the oil pan. I never had a problem of tripping the sensor after that.
you also got the benefit of the magnet latching on to any stray metal filings in your oil. At least the ones that are attracted to a magnet

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like very little ferrous metal on the Cybertruck at all. The Axles and linkages probably. But most of the underside is going to be aluminum. The body Stainless. The battery pack... Aluminum I think? Not sure about the batteries casings. The motors probably have some ferrous metal with copper or aluminum wiring.

I think it'll trigger a magnetic sensor. It would be weird if you rolled up to a stop light and it didn't "see" you in a beast like that.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like very little ferrous metal on the Cybertruck at all. The Axles and linkages probably. But most of the underside is going to be aluminum. The body Stainless.
Technical Foul!

Ferrous metals are metals that contain iron. Stainless Steel contains iron, therefore, stainless steel is a ferrous metal.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Hey, if they can see an aluminum bicycle, they'll see the truck.

What they're looking for is a shadow effect, not necessarily the spike from a magnet (so you'd need a BIG magnet ala MEDICALJUMP). But the motor of my motorcycle usually trips them if they're working. Usually. And it has an all-aluminum frame and motor casing.

-Crissa
Sponsored