Is the stainless steel used in the Cyber Truck attracted to a magnet or not?

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I suppose the truck uses the type of stainless that does not attract a magnet but If it did that would open up a new way to dress up the vehicle and it would take a load off the refrigerator.
Sponsored

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I think it depends of the formula and finishing. Generally, the 300 series of Stainless is austenitic, and:

"Ferritic stainless steels are magnetic, while austenitic stainless steels in the annealed condition are not. However, when austenitic stainless grades are formed into engineered shapes, they undergo a microstructural transformation to martensite in the same way as the transformation-induced plasticity (TRIP) family of advanced, high-strength steels. When the austenite converts to martensite, strength increases, ductility increases, and the structure becomes magnetic. The strain-hardening exponent known as the n-value exceeds 0.4 in austenitic grades, which is double that of ferritic stainless steel grades."

Source: https://www.thefabricator.com/thefa...w-of-austenitic-and-ferritic-stainless-steels

Cold working:

"Wrought, austenitic stainless steels, such as 304 and 316, are generally regarded as non-magnetic in the annealed condition, ie they are not attracted significantly by a magnet. However, if they are cold worked they will be attracted to a permanent magnet. The change occurs because the cold work deformation induces a transformation of the microstructure from austenite to martensite. The effect is less marked in alloys with high concentrations of austenite stabilisers such as nickel, nitrogen and carbon. Once the martensite is formed, it may also become magnetised sufficiently to pick-up light objects such as paper clips."

Source: https://www.assda.asn.au/technical-info/technical-faqs/magnetic-effects-of-stainless-steels

Based on this, the CT steel should be magnetic, but I think it depends on the formula (30X ) .

CreativeGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Arcimoto FUV
Occupation
Director of Print Operations, FMG Suite
Country flag
I have an automatic driveway gate opener (for when I’m exiting) that picks up a magnetic signature of a vehicle. This is so an animal walking in the driveway won’t activate the gate. I’m wondering if I will have a problem with the cybertruck.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I have an automatic driveway gate opener (for when I’m exiting) that picks up a magnetic signature of a vehicle. This is so an animal walking in the driveway won’t activate the gate. I’m wondering if I will have a problem with the cybertruck.
I am sure the field from the high power lines, the non-stainless steel the interior structure will be made from, and other components (axels, suspension, etc) should be more than enough...

But if not, you can do what I did so my motorcycle reliable sets off stop light switchs (also magnetic) and put a magnet on the truck, probably the front bumper.

This is an example (I am not endorsing or providing any commentary about their product).
https://greenlighttriggers.com/

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I suppose the truck uses the type of stainless that does not attract a magnet but If it did that would open up a new way to dress up the vehicle and it would take a load off the refrigerator.
Can you imagine having to look at magnetic pictures of everyones kids on the back of that huge flat tailgate while sitting in traffic?

"Ask me about my honor student!"

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I think it depends of the formula and finishing. Generally, the 300 series of Stainless is austenitic, and:

"Ferritic stainless steels are magnetic, while austenitic stainless steels in the annealed condition are not. However, when austenitic stainless grades are formed into engineered shapes, they undergo a microstructural transformation to martensite in the same way as the transformation-induced plasticity (TRIP) family of advanced, high-strength steels. When the austenite converts to martensite, strength increases, ductility increases, and the structure becomes magnetic. The strain-hardening exponent known as the n-value exceeds 0.4 in austenitic grades, which is double that of ferritic stainless steel grades."

Source: https://www.thefabricator.com/thefa...w-of-austenitic-and-ferritic-stainless-steels

Cold working:

"Wrought, austenitic stainless steels, such as 304 and 316, are generally regarded as non-magnetic in the annealed condition, ie they are not attracted significantly by a magnet. However, if they are cold worked they will be attracted to a permanent magnet. The change occurs because the cold work deformation induces a transformation of the microstructure from austenite to martensite. The effect is less marked in alloys with high concentrations of austenite stabilisers such as nickel, nitrogen and carbon. Once the martensite is formed, it may also become magnetised sufficiently to pick-up light objects such as paper clips."

Source: https://www.assda.asn.au/technical-info/technical-faqs/magnetic-effects-of-stainless-steels

Based on this, the CT steel should be magnetic, but I think it depends on the formula (30X ) .
To put it simply, probably not depending on what you want to stick to it. I have never had stainless steel stick to a magnet before as a kid, however, as an adult, I most desire to see how effective it works as a chic magnet! LOL~

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
To put it simply, probably not depending on what you want to stick to it. I have never had stainless steel stick to a magnet before as a kid, however, as an adult, I most desire to see how effective it works as a chic magnet! LOL~
I've heard that stainless appliances are a little less attractive now. Still attractive but a little less than they used to be. Seems to mostly be about OCD people trying to deal with fingerprints. But also has to do with the lack of magnetic response.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I've heard that stainless appliances are a little less attractive now. Still attractive but a little less than they used to be. Seems to mostly be about OCD people trying to deal with fingerprints. But also has to do with the lack of magnetic response.
I have owned my share of SS appliances and a Husky tool cabinet. I will never buy another mostly for keeping it clean especially the tool cabinet. When I was younger I was pretty OCD but as I aged it lessened and now I don’t care.

black appliances are a lot less effort to keep clean

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Depends on the grade. Even some things that claim to be stainless just have a stainless finish and are still highly magnetic.

When I was building research machinery in a magnet lab we always built our devices out of medical grade stainless since they could handle being in a 17 Tesla environment without being attracted to anything or thermally conducting out of the assembly. While I doubt the entire CT will be medical grade, I would be surprised if the starship grade steel is magnetic and that's what they're claiming to build them with.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
If refrigerator magnets won't work you can always fall back on the infamous bumper sticker.
I think I still have one that says "My kid was Inmate of the Month at County Jail".

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
If refrigerator magnets won't work you can always fall back on the infamous bumper sticker.
I think I still have one that says "My kid was Inmate of the Month at County Jail".
Wonder how those will clean off the SS? Maybe we need some made out of the "less sticky" glue type.

Thinking about the labels they put on wood products (Rockler, Woodcraft). Well, it's "supposed" to come off easy.....

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wonder how those will clean off the SS? Maybe we need some made out of the "less sticky" glue type.

Thinking about the labels they put on wood products (Rockler, Woodcraft). Well, it's "supposed" to come off easy.....
Someone suggested stickers don't stick to stainless well.

Maybe just vinyl clings which you put on windows.

Last edited:

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Someone suggested stickers don't stick to stainless well.

Maybe just vinyl clings which you put on Windows.
I know someone that was trying to learn how to apply the vinyl wraps to stock cars. He practiced on several different things he had around the farm before doing an actual car. One thing he practiced on was a cattle trough he had tigged together from stainless. That was about 3 or 4 years ago. It is still in good shape except around the edge where the cows rub along it. It has been out in the pasture in the weather all this time and no problem sticking. But that was wrap not a sticker so who knows.
Sponsored