ISN'T IT TIME FOR ALL HOTELS TO START INCLUDING ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
ISN'T IT TIME FOR ALL HOTELS TO START INCLUDING ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS?

Posted on July 23, 2021 by Matt Pressman

Have you gone on a family road trip and found no electric vehicle charging stations at your hotel? If you own a Tesla, you'll likely find a Supercharger nearby. But not always. Let's face it, most EV owners would love to charge up overnight (at their hotel) when they're on the road.

So if you happen to know a hotel owner, you might want to put in a good word for all of us in the EV community. Here's how.

Although there are many excellent reasons for hotels to install EV charging stations for guests, let's take a closer look at four key reasons why a hotel owner should "update" their guest parking options to include EV-ready charging capabilities.

ATTRACT CUSTOMERS
The biggest benefit of installing EV charging stations at hotels is that they can attract EV owners. Obviously, if someone is traveling with a Tesla, or any electric car for the matter, they are highly motivated to stay at a hotel that comes equipped with charging stations than behind-the-times hotels that do not.

Charging overnight at a hotel can negate the need to charge once a guest leaves the hotel to hit the road once again. While there are over 20,000 Tesla charging ports in the US per AFDC, charging overnight at a hotel is still a lot more convenient than while out on the road. This applies to all members of the EV community.

This 30-minute (or more) time-saver can have a very high value to certain hotel guests. And this is especially helpful for families where traveling long distances needs to be as streamlined as much as possible.

EV charging stations at hotels are another amenity like pools or fitness centers. Sooner or later, customers will expect this amenity to be at every hotel once EV adoption rates begin to grow exponentially. For the time being, it is a healthy perk that can set any hotel apart from the competition down the street.

In fact, the popular hotel search engine, Hotels.com, recently added an EV charging station filter to their platform. Guests can now search specifically for hotels that include EV charging stations.

GENERATE REVENUE
Another benefit to installing EV charging stations at hotels is that it can generate revenue. While there are initial upfront costs and on-going network fees associated with installing charging stations, the fees the drivers pay can offset this investment and generate some site revenue down the line.

Of course, how much charging stations can profit greatly depends on a number of factors. Nevertheless, the value of charging at a hotel can create a revenue-generating transaction.

SUPPORT SUSTAINABILITY GOALS
Most hotels are actively seeking sustainability goals — looking to receive LEED or GreenPoint rated certification. Installing EV charging stations can help.

EV charging stations support the adoption of electric cars, which are proven to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gases. Additionally, many green building programs, such as LEED, award points for EV charging stations.

For hotel chains, showing off green credentials is another way to set itself apart from the competition. Plus, it's the right thing to do.

HOTELS CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF AVAILABLE REBATES
Another key benefit of installing EV charging stations at hotels is the ability to take advantage of available rebates. And it's likely that the available rebates for EV charging stations won’t last forever. At the moment, various government agencies have EV charging stations rebates available to help encourage the adoption of electric cars. Once there are adequate charging stations, it's likely that the rebates will disappear.

At this time, hotels can take advantage of a myriad of available rebates. Many of these rebate programs can cover around 50% to 80% of the total cost. In terms of dollars, that could add up to (in some cases) as much as $15,000. For hotels looking to get with the times, it's high-time to take advantage of these attractive rebates as they won’t be around forever.

===

Author Bio: Darya Oreizi is the founder at Charged Future: the EV charging consultancy. Charged Future helps businesses implement and achieve EV charging goals. Oreizi works with businesses as an EV charging project manager looking to save both time and money for his clients. This includes searching and applying to all eligible rebate applications, which can typically cover a large portion of the project cost. (Edited by Matt Pressman at EVANNEX)

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/is-i...-including-electric-vehicle-charging-stations
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I once asked if a Vegas hotel had EV charging, 2013.

They responded yes and directed me to certain level and section when I arrived.

it was a 110 outlet…

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I frequently go to Paso Robles for work and only a few of the hotels have charging. From what I can see there's no Tesla chargers set up at them either.

Good news is that a supercharger is nearby and most of my winery customers have destination chargers set up that I've already asked about using in the future. However, it makes way more sense for hotels to support this infrastructure than they currently do. Even a 110V outlet next to each space would be more than they're doing now.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
On road trips, we only stay at hotels that have a destination charger.
Likewise, but just having a charging isn’t a guarantee that a spot will be available. As EVs become more common, they are going to fill up more often.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
They would have to put a charger at every parking spot unless patrons were willing to move once their vehicle was charged. Not a lot of incentive to install expensive infrastructure unless they get a cut of the charge fee or unless Tesla installs the chargers for free in order to make revenue off them.
I stayed at a motel near Oklahoma city a few months ago where there was a motel or two on every corner of the interstate interchange.
There was a six stall Tesla charger located near a gas station close to my motel.
While I was filling up the van I only saw one Tesla pull in and plug up.
It was located close enough to the gas station that people using the charging station could walk over to use the restrooms and get food and drinks.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Not a lot of incentive to install expensive infrastructure unless they get a cut of the charge fee or unless Tesla installs the chargers for free in order to make revenue off them.
I can't say with certainty at the moment because I haven't checked for a while but Tesla was supplying HPWC and granting a $13K (I think it was) allowance for installing it. The location thereafter paid for the elecricity and charged people for it or not as they saw fit.

I honestly don't see much value in destination chargers at hotels or other venues as most places have SC nearby and an HPWC can really only serve one or two cars per day if a scheme for sharing has been worked out. #6 is interesting because it seems most of the destination chargers I see are at wineries, distilleries and breweries.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I honestly don't see much value in destination chargers at hotels or...
Yes, I suppose you wouldn't care the twenty plus minutes charging, pay the higher rate of primetime electricity, the additional parking space wasted, five minutes there and back, and the preconditioning of the cabin and maintaining climate control and battery charge in inclement weather. Or the support for low-range, light-weight urban vehicles or commuters...

?

-Crissa

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Look on the bright side, the more people who ignore destination chargers in favor of Superchargers, the less contention for the destination chargers that are available.

The destination charger at the hotel I was at last night saved us 20 minutes and $15.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I posted similar less than enthusiastic comments on destination chargers somewhere and got a reply that said that while they are pretty useless for charging they are great for snagging prime parking spots close to the front doors of restaurants etc.

We went to bustling, downtown Thetford Mines the other week settled down for lunch and while waiting for it to come I started looking for a place to charge. A station appeared on the map right next to the dot that showed the car and when we walked out an hour later sure enough there was a sad little J1772 terminal in the bushes right next to the front door. Next time...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There is one exception to my general take and that is in the Maritimes at the Fogo Island Inn. We had planned a trip out there solely to use that destination charger but Covid squelched that.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I posted similar less than enthusiastic comments on destination chargers somewhere and got a reply that said that while they are pretty useless for charging they are great for snagging prime parking spots close to the front doors of restaurants etc.
You are talking about a different kind of destination charger. For pubs/ restaurants, etc. Those are arguably just a mediocre idea in general. You can only pick up a few miles at a pub regardless.

This thread was talking specifically about hotels where you are parked for hours at a time. Not sure about how "Prime" the parking is because usually there are only a few of them and often not near where your room is. Last night we had to park about 3 buildings down across the parking lot from the buildings.
Sponsored