Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
In MN, once you can afford a garage for your vehicle, you never go back. The delay in the winter to sweep off the snow and scrape the frost off the windows makes parking outside a miserable experience and a time suck on every trip. The CT's giant windshield could take half an hour of scraping.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
In MN, once you can afford a garage for your vehicle, you never go back. The delay in the winter to sweep off the snow and scrape the frost off the windows makes parking outside a miserable experience and a time suck on every trip. The CT's giant windshield could take half an hour of scraping.
Actually since the windshield and hood are at the same angle. Snow can just slide off really easily. I'm Canadian so snow is like our life force and if we don't spend enough time outside doing winter tasks like scraping ice of the windshield, we might melt.

Another thing with Tesla that I read is smart preconditioning. The car can learn your schedule and actually precondition the vehicle to be ready to go if you are consistent. I've seen a lot of people say they turn it off because they don't always the car that consistently, but there are other ways to have the car ready in the morning too. I've seen some apps specifically for Tesla that can control your Tesla app. One example was planning to leave in the morning and the app can send the command from your Tesla app to heat up the cabin in the morning for when you need to leave. Even if there is snow on the windshield, if the cabin is warm enough, removing the snow takes like 5 second to push a little bit and the rest just slides off.

Zenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
I don’t know that I agree with ‘Cybertruck doesn’t need a garage‘, as the solution. Do many vehicles really ‘need’ to be garaged? It’s more about ownership experience and longevity.​
As others have mentioned, garaging helps avoid weathering of internals & externals (UV ‘resist’ or not), weather itself (persons & vehicle, charging outside) & often makes life with a vehicle more convenient (groceries, access to residence, …). Regardless of T security, AHs can still quickly damage a vehicle. Though they could be caught on camera, it’s still your problem to deal with afterwards. I’d rather just park inside if given a choice.​
-Some people in cities without driveways can either use their garage for parking or have to go out looking for a spot somewhere on the street.​
-Although many live in safe neighborhoods, it’s still nice when those you care about, using your vehicle can come home late and aren’t forced outside vs entering through the garage.​
-Nice to garage my truck when I have tall items so I don’t have to either leave it all outside overnight, or unload/reload for transport. It’s ok if it happens to fit beneath the CTs T cover.​
-Some already have solar and charging set up inside their garage for/from previous vehicles and don’t want to buy yet another charger (or run the cable inside, then outside for CT) for multiple vehicle use instead of simply parking inside (if fits)…​
Whatever best fits each’s scenario…​

Last edited:

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
If it doesn't fit in my garage, I'm getting a Model Y...

Without fitting in my garage I can't charge it conveniently. This "it doesn't need a garage" thing is really stupid.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

Without fitting in my garage I can't charge it conveniently. This "it doesn't need a garage" thing is really stupid.
Not really. Technically your model Y doesn't need a garage, a bike that doesn't rust won't need a garage, my lawnmower doesn't need a garage, the hoses i keep in the garage don't need to be in the garage.

Elon was initially saying that they would reduce the size of the Cybertruck to fit in a standard garage, but that's also not really an exact measurement. I looked up the average sized garage and seen most results for 12'x22' or bigger, which would support the Cybertruck pretty easily. Maybe the results I found at wrong and a lot of people have a much smaller garage, but no matter what size the CT is, as long as it's the size of a truck, it's going to be too big for someone's garage.

I think Elon was just saying it doesn't need a garage because he doesn't want to reduce the size enough to make it fit in a small garage because while he might make those people happy, he might also make others unhappy. Personally I was part of the group that really didn't want the Cybertruck to get smaller because a lot of us really want a big truck. This is also going to be Elon's daily driver according to him so I'm assuming he also didn't want a smaller truck.

The majority of truck owners don't like in areas that a truck won't fit. All of my friends own trucks and everyone I know that owns a truck either has a property in the countryside or at least has a driveway that they keep it in. I understand that some people can't have a normal sized truck where they live, like if they have a townhouse with no street parking or they live downtown somewhere, but I don't think the Cybertruck is the truck that should solve that problem. Maybe the Maverick.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
A garage is for storing all the crap you can't fit inside the house. No room for vehicles in there :ROFLMAO:
Kind of gotten use to the practice of driving up to the house, hit a button and magically a wall opens up and swallows the transportation pod, off-load passengers with dry clothes and dry groceries all out of the weather. Silly me for living where we have too much liquid sunshine. Maybe I can sell some of it to our parched western neighbors, I hear they can stand a bit of it.
Speaking of rain, it's been raining water buffalos off and on all day.

Last edited:

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Not really. Technically your model Y doesn't need a garage, a bike that doesn't rust won't need a garage, my lawnmower doesn't need a garage, the hoses i keep in the garage don't need to be in the garage.

Elon was initially saying that they would reduce the size of the Cybertruck to fit in a standard garage, but that's also not really an exact measurement. I looked up the average sized garage and seen most results for 12'x22' or bigger, which would support the Cybertruck pretty easily. Maybe the results I found at wrong and a lot of people have a much smaller garage, but no matter what size the CT is, as long as it's the size of a truck, it's going to be too big for someone's garage.

I think Elon was just saying it doesn't need a garage because he doesn't want to reduce the size enough to make it fit in a small garage because while he might make those people happy, he might also make others unhappy. Personally I was part of the group that really didn't want the Cybertruck to get smaller because a lot of us really want a big truck. This is also going to be Elon's daily driver according to him so I'm assuming he also didn't want a smaller truck.

The majority of truck owners don't like in areas that a truck won't fit. All of my friends own trucks and everyone I know that owns a truck either has a property in the countryside or at least has a driveway that they keep it in. I understand that some people can't have a normal sized truck where they live, like if they have a townhouse with no street parking or they live downtown somewhere, but I don't think the Cybertruck is the truck that should solve that problem. Maybe the Maverick.
I'm not worried about rust, although I do like to garage vehicles since it's easier on the paint and the interior to be out of the sun. Not as much of a factor for the CT.

The reason I need to park in the garage is it's the only place I can charge. It's the only place plenty of people can charge. I live in a town house, there is no driveway to speak of. No garage parking means no where to charge. Even if you do have a driveway, this means you have to use an external socket to charge at home. How many 220V external sockets do you see? Sure, you can install one or live with 110V, but now you have to leave a cable running from your car to the power outlet across your driveway, or lawn or something. For existing trunk people maybe this is all to be expected but I suspect there are a lot of non-truck owners who are considering the CT, like me.

It means I will have to fight for street parking and will have no charging option other than going to a nearby public charger and walking home.

The Model Y will be my choice as I was only interested in the CT because of it's unique set of features and camping options. The Model Y will be more limited for camping but at least I won't have to fight for a parking spot and will be able to charge it conveniently.

Thankfully, if the CT sticks to it's current dimensions it should JUST fit. Fingers crossed.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Kind of gotten use to the practice of driving up to the house, hit a button and magically a wall opens up and swallows the transportation pod, off-load passengers with dry clothes and dry groceries all out of the weather. Silly me for living where we have too much liquid sunshine. Maybe I can sell some of it to our parched western neighbors, I hear they can stand a bit of it.
Agreed, I was parking outside for a number of years recently but going back into a garage just reminded me how much better it is. Mad dashes, arms laden with groceries, laptop bag etc. in the pouring rain is not my idea of fun, even if I'm getting out of a Cybertruck. Maybe it can drop me off and go and find a parking spot... oh and charge...

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm not worried about rust, although I do like to garage vehicles since it's easier on the paint and the interior to be out of the sun. Not as much of a factor for the CT.

The reason I need to park in the garage is it's the only place I can charge. It's the only place plenty of people can charge. I live in a town house, there is no driveway to speak of. No garage parking means no where to charge. Even if you do have a driveway, this means you have to use an external socket to charge at home. How many 220V external sockets do you see? Sure, you can install one or live with 110V, but now you have to leave a cable running from your car to the power outlet across your driveway, or lawn or something. For existing trunk people maybe this is all to be expected but I suspect there are a lot of non-truck owners who are considering the CT, like me.

It means I will have to fight for street parking and will have no charging option other than going to a nearby public charger and walking home.

The Model Y will be my choice as I was only interested in the CT because of it's unique set of features and camping options. The Model Y will be more limited for camping but at least I won't have to fight for a parking spot and will be able to charge it conveniently.

Thankfully, if the CT sticks to it's current dimensions it should JUST fit. Fingers crossed.
Yeah I agree. Like I was saying, the CT won't really be the solution for people who live in townhouses or downtown areas. I lived in a townhouse for about a year after university, I had to move after my lease was up because surprisingly, my car didn't even fit in the garage since it was apparently designed poorly and most of my neighbors just barely fit their cars in.

I think the fact that the CT does have the summon feature to be able to drive into a garage an drive out without someone inside, it will help people with really narrow garages.

Also when it comes to people who can park in a driveway, there are actually lots of third party chargers now. I will personally have a Tesla wall mount charger on my car port, the outside of the garage, and the inside of the garage. Since my wife and I are going to be getting a Cybertruck, Model X, and possible Model 3 when I can convince her to switch over.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Let's see you going to or from your outdoors parked CT (or any truck) bringing groceries in during a sudden downpour. An umbrella may help, but not much while carrying groceries. Lighten up on the garage crowd. It is a matter of personal preference. I park my beater 1993 Dodge truck in the garage even though it is impervious to golf ball sized hail. I like knowing that if a storm comes up I can enter and exit my truck completely dry. You should try it! And during the winter, my entire garage is pre-heated in my energy efficient geothermal home so I won't have to waste battery power pre-heating my CT, or if you are a purist, try NOT pre-heating your CT outside during the winter. No other truck could pre-heat which I am sure your are aware of by now since you are a "truck concept" guy. Or if you are really a purist, just eliminate a garage in your house altogether. Go with a redneck carport or street parking, or maybe you already are and that is why you are judging garage parking for CTs. If you had a garage, you would like it. I promise. Just make sure you have enough room to build one large enough. I never have to wash bird shit and tree sap off of my beater either.
Amen to that.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag

The dimensions are around here somewhere, now if I can find that piece of paper.....

Found them and rounded them off to the nearest whole number. And this is without mirrors too.

L 232"
W 80"
H 75

Last edited:

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Hostility is overwhelming, we should switch to a calming topic, spare tires.
Alright, you started it buster, gloves are coming off. Don't try to pry my spare tire from my hands.

Last edited:

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The dimensions are around here somewhere, now if I can find that piece of paper.....

Found them and rounded them off to the nearest whole number. And this is without mirrors too.

L 232"
W 80"
H 75
lol yeah, it should fit in the garage at 19.3 feet... A model 3 fits and it's about 15.4 feet, so another 4 feet or so should fit. Just, on one side of the garage that is longer. I'll have to back in most likely to be able to easily get out and have access to the door to the house. I can also park slightly at an angle so that will help. It's only about 7" wider than the model 3, so that should be fine.

Point is, it fitting in garages is important IMO, parking it outside is not ideal for many.
Sponsored