Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The SCG Boot is really cool... But it is a $250,000+ piece of equipment.. the Fuel cell version is likely to cost even more. You could buy three Trimotor CT's and still have money left over. This is sort of like Lamborghini challenging the Honda Civic type R to a road race. This challenge is laughable at best.. SCG is just trying to drum up some interest.
Sponsored

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Dido above.

The CT would have to compete in a "stock" class for it to be considered a realistic "test" of it.

Taking a Ford Raptor and replacing everything but the Ford emblem isn't really a test of a Ford Raptor. But I know the race has a stock class, so why not try it out? The CT with 37s or 40s, bead locks, appropriate shocks, and a trick coolant swap with pre-chilled battery/motor coolant that keeps the battery and motors cold during charging would be easy.

Hell, I'll volunteer to crew for the first private CT Baja entry. I'll even chase the CT on my electric Alta dirt bike (for about 30 minutes till the battery dies)!

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
So its simply a point of proving a battery material.

I think battery (energy storage and release of said)) efficiency, efficacy and make-up is still in its infancy and ONLY becomes important when 1) the powers that ought not be decide "this is what WE want out there" 2) #1 is done by $$$$$$ invested to THAT end.

I simply like the Cybertruck because of its apparent shape, current choice of material and, yet to be proven, ruggedness that should last.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Nahā€¦ ignore, the bastardization of a dunebuggy meets Jeep ā€œbootā€ by some Lone Ranger on hydrogen who doesnā€˜t amount to an automaker.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
But here is a promo video of a trophy truck tearing up Ensenada Mexico.

WOW. The things you can do where there are no lawyers. I wonder if this mainly serves as a demo for drug cartels that are looking into fleet purchase. I canā€™t see anyone in North America have a need for this. I have been in places in Costa Rica that I thought my 4Runner was going to break in half (it didnā€™t) and I could use this but all the locals in those places were on foot and the wealthy folks were on bicycle. Even the 4 runner I rented was an older model held together with duct tape.

Even if I had the Cojones to drive like this, I had the budget to cover the fixes to the truck and my body, I could magically find an unpaved ground that is not private property around me, I would never in my wildest nightmares would contemplate messing with my hair do with that kinda ride ;). My CT will have a road tire that can handle the load capacity. Carrying a full size spare is as wild as I go but it would be nice to know CT could survive this in case FSD programmers had one too many Tesla Tequilas while coding.

CHaupt

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MY, '04 DodgeDakota, 1960 Mercedes Benz 190SL
Occupation
IT/Telecommunications
Country flag
Based on battery day, Limiting Factor, and some other sources, Iā€™m hopeful that charging a CT will be surprisingly quick. With a 500+ mile battery Iā€™d expect that there would only need to be 2 battery charge stops. And if the charge is fast then it wouldnā€™t be so much of an obstacle on the Baja 1000.

With a strong EV there would be far less that could break or go wrong compared with an ICE vehicle. So as long as the vehicle doesnā€™t break and has the specs to deal with pot holes, mud, rocks, etc, it could compete well.

So after that the remaining deal would be the people involved. Driver and navigator, support crew, support planner, etc. Plus the other hardware needed like gps, radios, mapping, etc.
Racing mileage will probably be ~200 miles? (your mileage might vary)

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Carrying a full size spare is as wild as I go but it would be nice to know CT could survive this in case FSD programmers had one too many Tesla Tequilas while coding.
Now that would be a fun video. Joe ordinary buys a CT to have something safe to drive on his daily commute. Wants to be protected in case of accidents or weather related incidents. Turns out his CT was accidentally programmed with a military code base. One day it suddenly takes off on a wild ride running down ā€œbad guysā€ while Joe is along for the ride. He gets shot at, takes crazy jumps, drives up crazy off-road areas, and gets the bad guys caught before returning to his home driveway in a calm manner. Joe has been terrified all day but by the end of the day starts to get adjusted and as he gets out that night he mentions looking forward to tomorrowā€™s commute.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Now that would be a fun video. Joe ordinary buys a CT to have something safe to drive on his daily commute. Wants to be protected in case of accidents or weather related incidents. Turns out his CT was accidentally programmed with a military code base. One day it suddenly takes off on a wild ride running down ā€œbad guysā€ while Joe is along for the ride. He gets shot at, takes crazy jumps, drives up crazy off-road areas, and gets the bad guys caught before returning to his home driveway in a calm manner. Joe has been terrified all day but by the end of the day starts to get adjusted and as he gets out that night he mentions looking forward to tomorrowā€™s commute.
You can take this to Netflix and have them pay for CT Baja 1000 team. Once you get a commitment, go to Elan and tell him you pay for the team if he says yes to the challenge, put you first in line and sell your CT for $1000 (Baja 1000). You get your B-roll, Truck and Hollywood career, Elan saves some Money and get publicity. Netflix get a film with the most controversial truck of the century.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
" You can take this to Netflix and have them pay for CT Baja 1000 team."
I dabble in independent films and let me share some insight.
A few years ago Netflix and other streaming services would have laughed you out of their offices if you brought them an oddball idea like this.
But now these same streaming services are sucking wind for content and are actually funding independent production companies and making their own content.
Some of the movies and series are actually pretty good.
With so many people staying home due to the current pandemic the demand is even higher for streaming entertainment.
You can check out the trailer for the movie we are trying to fund and produce at Shovelheadmovie,com.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
" You can take this to Netflix and have them pay for CT Baja 1000 team."
I dabble in independent films and let me share some insight.
A few years ago Netflix and other streaming services would have laughed you out of their offices if you brought them an oddball idea like this.
But now these same streaming services are sucking wind for content and are actually funding independent production companies and making their own content.
Some of the movies and series are actually pretty good.
With so many people staying home due to the current pandemic the demand is even higher for streaming entertainment.
You can check out the trailer for the movie we are trying to fund and produce at Shovelheadmovie,com.
I have been tempted to make a movie at some point. I don't think it's really in my skill set though so I doubt it will happen. I do have some ideas that could work. Perhaps I'll write a script for it.

One of my elementary through high school classmates is the producer of the new Reagan movie that is currently being filmed. I keep seeing updates on Facebook with various actors on set. Makes me think about making a movie. Too bad I'm currently distracted by other endeavors.

CyberJoel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Country flag
The amount of cooling needed to keep the batteries from exploding will be absolutely insane at full throttle for an hour in the desert. Lets just assume they run it at night so the desert is 104F, the heat exchange to cool electronics is going to be fun more or less the Batteries and Motors. Doubt they do it for this reason alone. Nevermind the vibrations just annihilating's the electronics.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
There's nothing other than weight really stopping an electric truck from filling the back with batteries. More batteries means slower, more cautious lest they break something... But the charging speed is only a little bit of the race.

-Crissa
Just have a ...imagine a brides dress, and the train that follows her in silk and lace. Imagine that loaded with solar panels, dragging behind the CT, charging batteries on the fly. hahah