shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Tesla hits TX vehicles parked roadside

I have an idea, almost a theory.

Emergency lights are intermittent flashes. Tesla hardware refresh rates, frequency and scan components are synching coincident with flashes in the “off” state. Off enough to disrupt and disable Tesla AP algorithms. Its a hardware problem. Its software is blind.

All the super—duper Dojo massive compute power can’t Humpty Dumpty fix it. Possibly?

Back to drawing boards?
Sponsored

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
People doing stupid things isn’t news. Robot cars doing stupid things is.
I would love to see the stats on collision avoidance by FSD compared. That is the true number you don't see on the news.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I would love to see the stats on collision avoidance by FSD compared. That is the true number you don't see on the news.
It's an impossible stat.

Regardless. Not hitting stationary objects is something Autopilot should have down pat.

If Autopilot was indeed fully in control during all of these incidents (a fact which is not clear at least in my mind), the underlying issue is important and needs to be fixed regardless of what human drivers do.

Tesla Cybertruck Latest Emergency Vehicle Collision in Houston Tesla  Cybertruck Spied Showing Side Mirrors, Rear Steering, Turning Radius!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Agreed. I guess I'm looking for accidents in FSD compared to operator error. I haven't pre-purchased the option but at 60 years of age, I know a time will come.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Agreed. I guess I'm looking for accidents in FSD compared to operator error. I haven't pre-purchased the option but at 60 years of age, I know a time will come.
It's exceedingly difficult to measure things that don't happen.

There is a lot of selection bias involved in any Autopilot/ FSD numbers as well. Lots of people only engage Autopilot during relatively "Easy" traffic conditions. Also, Any time you have Autopilot engaged, you always have a safety driver. If the safety driver disengages and prevents an accident, it doesn't get counted against autopilot.

I do think autopilot and FSD are already saving lives. I just think most numbers around it are highly questionable.

I'm also super interested in autopilot because I'm getting older. A little behind you, but close enough where it's a concern. Also, when you spend a week over-exerting yourself then have to drive home like I did this last week, having a little assistance is much appreciated.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
I wonder, could the CT's aerodynamic shape and extra weight protect me from flying inside a tornado path?
I would abstain from becoming an UFO

WhoWhatWhere

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Not a Tesla owner yet, annnndd I don't get this. Why wasn't there intervention by the driver? Why is this news? How would this look if it were a commercial airliner that flew into a mountain and the pilot sat there and watched it happen? I have news for you, pilots turn off the automation when it doesn't work hand fly it to what they want then turn it back on. Do Tesla FSD drivers just watch emergency vehicles get bigger in the windshield until impact? I've managed to always steer around these things in my ICE car, sometimes I use my brakes. Why and how does this happen?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not a Tesla owner yet, annnndd I don't get this. Why wasn't there intervention by the driver? Why is this news? How would this look if it were a commercial airliner that flew into a mountain and the pilot sat there and watched it happen? I have news for you, pilots turn off the automation when it doesn't work hand fly it to what they want then turn it back on. Do Tesla FSD drivers just watch emergency vehicles get bigger in the windshield until impact? I've managed to always steer around these things in my ICE car, sometimes I use my brakes. Why and how does this happen?
Several of the 11 incidents involved drunk driving.

There is also a minority of Tesla drivers who feel they can turn on autopilot and punch out from the world, playing video games, watching movies, reading books, napping, etc. I'm pretty sure it's a minority anyhow.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There have been some confirmed on-autopilot crashes, but they've all been against stationary objects perpendicular to the path of travel, which is ironically, one of the hardest things for radar to recognize. That's why vision is adding emergency light tracking. (Although in the current FSD it sees reflections on tail lights as lit, it's cute.)

Most of the 11 (now 12) in the list don't sound like they were in Autopilot.

And even if they were, would this be any different than any other Level 2 system or cruise control out there?

-Crissa
Sponsored