Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Founders roadster, trimotor cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Just in from Elon:

In end, we kept production design almost exactly same as show car. Just some small tweaks here & there to make it slightly better. No door handles. Car recognizes you & opens door. Having all four wheels steer is amazing for nimble handling & tight turns!

Please include car to grid charging...Ford already includes it as well as hyundai, Lucid, Polestar....Let keep striving for grid independence sooner than later
Sponsored

`AquaWatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 RAM 1500,Tesla Model Y , !971SS Camaro,
Country flag
The no door handles thing is what Elon calls "principle first" design. This is an assumption on my part. The handle being presented to you has a lot of challenges with small moving parts. The handle being always exposed increases the drag coefficient. The train of thought is, "what about no part?"
While non traditional, the idea of using technology to simply remove mechanical parts is certainly a good one imho.

Then again, everything is just an idea until it's actually tried. Maybe the no door handles idea will fail miserably. But I doubt it.
I wonder if the no door handles is also because of the stainless steel. Easier to machine a flat continuous piece that have a cut out for handles.
But I'm just guessing.

Any word on mirrors?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Please include car to grid charging...Ford already includes it as well as hyundai, Lucid, Polestar....Let keep striving for grid independence sooner than later
If this is true, it's news to me. Are you sure about this?

I know the F150 Lightning is supposed to have full home backup, but that is different from vehicle to grid. Any V2G setup requires special switching at your home as well.

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
I'd pay for normal door handles.

This is a neat feature, but if I get in an accident, I'd like people to be able to extract me from the car.

Four wheel steering is an awesome unexpected bonus, but the handles... not a fan.
When I first read this, I completely agreed.

Then I was thinking, most cars automatically lock their doors while driving. Also the MS and MX have handles that present themselves. That may not happen if they are in an accident.

If most any cars are in an accident that the driver (or passenger) can't extract themselves, the rescuers will have to do it through the window or jaws of life. It has been this way for quite a while.

The fact that the CT won't have handles, doesn't change much.

Also noted, my phone does a pretty good (not perfect) job of recognizing me with or without glass, in various lighting, multi states of facial hair, etc.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I got what you're throwing down. I'm my model 3, anyone can open the doors if they're unlocked. I imagine the same would be true with the CT.
How did a fireman open a door that's locked? Bust the window.
How does a fireman open a door with no handles that is unlocked? The same way you do, with a touch.

I guess what I'm trying to illustrate is that the doors aren't coming with no way to open them except your face or phone. Anyone can open all other Tesla models, including the touch handles of the X, assuming they are unlocked. Which is also true for any other door.

One other thing I was thinking, most accidents where you can't open your own door will warp the car enough that is doesn't really matter--the doors are jammed. For this reason, rescue folks will just default to window busting. Your car is already messed up....

Cheers!
SS body versus the jaws of life. I assume the jaws win. Alon glass versus the window break tool. Not sure which one wins.

On the glass front I’m hoping the glass thwarts the small window break tools that anyone can carry around in a pocket. Would hate to start seeing broken windows from vandalism.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The handles on my Model Y are quite good. They don't stick out and I doubt they cause much drag.

There are moving parts, but it doesn't require a motor which can wear out to open and close the door.

It is entirely possible the no handles thing is stronger, lighter, and more reliable than actually having handles.

I'm sure I'll be fine with it. It just seems like begging for reliability issues. The early Model S and Model X had issues with door handles and the gull wing doors respectively.
errr... honestly, as much as the M3 handles are a nice compromise, they kind of suck to operate and are not intuitive in that many n00bs don't now how to do it and fumble around.

I give them a 6/10 honestly.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
errr... honestly, as much as the M3 handles are a nice compromise, they kind of suck to operate and are not intuitive in that many n00bs don't now how to do it and fumble around.

I give them a 6/10 honestly.
It's only an issue the first time they open it.

They are going to be equally baffled by no handle at all. I suppose you will be able to tap the screen to let them in at least.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Agreed!

I can't get past the idea that when there are tens of millions and then hundreds of millions of EVs out there they can do a substantial part in stabilizing the grid. Who needs huge battery farms when you have a huge, distributed battery farm.

You can assuage people's fears if cycle life impact by guaranteeing that the utility will only take say 10-20% of range, once a week. In a world where EVs will be plugged in a lot in different places, work, home, malls etc. they seem like a resource we could be using more effectively.

Plus I like the idea of a battery backup in case of power outage without having to buy a Powerwall.

jdcook72

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 M3 LR RWD, 2019 M3 DM, Cybertruck TM preorder
Country flag
I'd pay for normal door handles.

This is a neat feature, but if I get in an accident, I'd like people to be able to extract me from the car.

Four wheel steering is an awesome unexpected bonus, but the handles... not a fan.
Regular handles, in an accident, don't guarantee people can open your door. Granted, better chance than no door handle.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
this really is no different than the model S which 'presents' the handle. touching the back of this handle is what opens the door, not actually physically pulling the handle.

I dont think this will be an issue at all for the CT. the S is very good at knowing when to present said handle, and most times its right when you arrive at the door based on key/phone connecting to bluetooth of the vehicle.

Bseddy1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I will literally cancel my order if there are no external door knobs. No external door knobs combined with bullet proof exterior = extremely unsafe if I get in an accident and go unconscious - no one will be able to get me out!

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, Rolls Royce Phantom EWB
Occupation
CEO
Country flag
Do you like to train your other finger for recognition on your phone? No thanks. Not me. Well now that becomes would you like to train your many stages of beard given you have never been happy to keep it the same for more than a month your whole life. F. I guess i have to do that one. Maybe it uses your phone to recognize proximity and the camera super computer ai to learn your many face stages.
The car is sensing the key fob in your pocket not your face.

cglenn2000

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Country flag
Too bad he didn't make any substantive updates. We've been hearing bits about the handles, rear wheel steering and overall size for the most part already. How about some actual/factual info on production, government approvals, battery size, etc.?
Sponsored