Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I will literally cancel my order if there are no external door knobs. No external door knobs combined with bullet proof exterior = extremely unsafe if I get in an accident and go unconscious - no one will be able to get me out!
Good, cancel your order and allow the more open minded people behind you to move up a notch.
Sponsored

rob0115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model S LR, 2020 Model Y PUP
Country flag
Well, there's our confirmation on what exactly no handles means. I assume there's still a manual way to open the door because the last thing I need is my CT not opening because I shaved my beard or skipped the contacts and stayed in glasses that day.
You have to be right. What if there’s no power? An accident? I don’t see how it would be approved without a manual way to exit/enter the car.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
No, it does not.

The DC charging requires the ability to have unfettered access for a charge point to the battery. This is exactly the same as you need on the vehicle side of vehicle to grid.

-Crissa
there is nothing preventing someone from plugging in an extension cord to the port in the bed, i just dont think its going to go anywhere past that...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
there are undoubtedly safety mechanisms in place to prevent electricity from flowing from the battery back toward a charger when the charger is off.
Only in a Tesla. And it's just a software lock-out of the contactors.

No others do... having additional circuitry where you have the highest amperage is... wasteful and dangerous.

-Crissa

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I had it in my head that this would open/ close the doors similar to the way the hatch is opened and closed. Now I'm not sure, maybe it's just a release, like an old trunk release or the Frunk on the Model Y.

A release would be very few parts and likely super reliable. The full open/ close mechanism would be nicer but have more parts.
Me too. I see it as just popping open, rather than opening all the way. I think I'd prefer that.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I don't think it's going to be face recognition, most likely just Bluetooth the way the existing MY works.

It would be awesome if it were and the doors opened automatically for anyone who I've let in previously, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Oh yeah, it will be BT for sure.

The facial recognition was just a geek dream.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
You have to be right. What if there’s no power? An accident? I don’t see how it would be approved without a manual way to exit/enter the car.
There is a manual way to open but it takes a couple swings with a sledgehammer and then a hard throw of a steel ball. ?

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
This was Musk's position on it in the past. There was V2G on the roadster, but no one used it... but that was a long time ago now.

Given where I am in the world I would spring for the equipment to hook my car up to my house and grid so long as:

1. There was a guarantee that the battery would only be used an agreed upon number of times and percentages a year. The car would also have to be guaranteed to be at a set percentage of charge in the morning.
  2. There was some financial incentive from the utility
  3. I can power my house in the case of power outage
When you're without power after a hurricane, flipping a few switches and breakers to ensure you keep your fridge, TV, a few fans going is easily managed! Better than nothing at all. The CT3 battery could power a whole house for a while I think. So just the essentials could last a long time. Eventually devices could switch off automatically, some might be able to do this already. Part of it is to be ready for the future. If some CT will be around for a couple of decades then it's future proofing them to have the circuitry to support V2H and V2G.
dont get me wrong, i think it would be great if it could as well, i just dont see it happening. Tesla is so focused on FSD, managing a home's electricity usage from the vehicle while trying to protect the vehicles battery is more complex than what i think will be offered initially. maybe this could be something they turn on later or as a perk like the unlocked range in emergencies(hurricanes) I just dont think it will be there out of the box.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Lol - Granted. My point was not so much that the CT was better, just that the M3 handles are very so-so. I'm quite happy not to get them on the CT.

There is going to have to be a way for passengers to get in unaided. I'm guessing the button on the pillar above or something like that. That will also help address the first responder situation.

Now it would be super amazing if I could register my kids faces and the car would unlock and open for them. I think my head would explode all over that shiny stainless steel if it did that, but I'm going to guess it's not going to that be overwhelmingly cool. :)
It would be cool if it would recognize and admit my kids based on their faces and the fact that they have ridden in my vehicle before. It would not be so cool to do the same for my ex-girlfriends.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Any vehicle that gets in a bad crash may have it's doors jammed closed. They would just simply use the extraction tool to open the door. Or the on board computer AI will sense you where in an accident and call emergency services and open the door for you. I would think.
This would certainly be cool. Arguably safer than many current cars which remain locked when they crash.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Could be, but they're using electric ones on the Model S and X. Was it Ford or BMW that also put one in their door? I think it was the Ford.

I am pretty sure it's just a kick release, not a full automation. They didn't show a full automation on the prototype.

-Crissa
The more I think about it, the more kick release makes sense for the Cybertruck.

Quite possibly lighter than a door handle and very reliable.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
dont get me wrong, i think it would be great if it could as well, i just dont see it happening. Tesla is so focused on FSD, managing a home's electricity usage from the vehicle while trying to protect the vehicles battery is more complex than what i think will be offered initially. maybe this could be something they turn on later or as a perk like the unlocked range in emergencies(hurricanes) I just dont think it will be there out of the box.
I'm okay with that, as long as the vehicle is capable of it physically.
Sponsored