Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Edit: to clarify since you can't edit poll options after people start answering them.. question is do you absolutely need the midgate and will be pissed off if not included (useful) or do you not care either way (useless).

Granted this is not scientific as this forum is most likely a higher concentration of those in favor, than the rest of the truck market.

But I'm curious just how many fall on one side or the other.

I'm openly against it for multiple reasons mentioned previously. Aside from my distaste for the idea, I think the main reason it won't exist in production is because it's more trouble than it's worth, both in designing and in real world usage.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I have understood for a while that a 6.5 foot bed was satisfactory for non-work related use cases and that my uses for a truck are more industrial, thereby not typical. But, my opinion remains that a minimum platform of 50"x100" is necessary. A mid-gate allows for increased capacity for standard building material length while keeping the tailgate closed for safety and security. Towing should be unnecessary unless your need exceeds your payload capacity of 1 3/4 ton. Further, towing increases complexity regarding navigation, safety, efficiency, and charging access. With all of this expressed, I already know what the consensus continues to be; too heavy, too complex, too big, too expensive. Yet, the engineers and designers at Tesla continue to be surprisingly clever and inventive, so I hold to my hope.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Granted this is not scientific as this forum is most likely a higher concentration of those in favor, than the rest of the truck market.

But I'm curious just how many fall on one side or the other.

I'm openly against it for multiple reasons mentioned previously. Aside from my distaste for the idea, I think the main reason it won't exist in production is because it's more trouble than it's worth, both in designing and in real world usage.
I voted useful, but for me, useless 99% of the time.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I'm kinda middle of the road. I like added versatility, so why not? A SS roof rack would take care of most problems, but what if I'm camping in the cold cold mountains, and in the middle of the night I wanna grab me a pipefull/brewski/copy of "Big'uns" a bite to eat? The passthrough is going to be dealbreaker for some. I vote "Sure, why not".

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I'm kinda middle of the road. I like added versatility, so why not? A SS roof rack would take care of most problems, but what if I'm camping in the cold cold mountains, and in the middle of the night I wanna grab me a pipefull/brewski/copy of "Big'uns" a bite to eat? The passthrough is going to be dealbreaker for some. I vote "Sure, why not".
It's not a deal breaker for me if it's there, I won't say "I don't want the CT." I could care less about it, so if it's there then so be it, yet another feature. But it seems some midgaters consider it deal breaker if not there.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'll take the CT with or without the mid-gate! For those of us who want to use it as a camper van and convert it to a pickup once a while it's great! Not great if you want a work truck and honestly I just really want rolled down middle window.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think you have a poor set of survey answers here.

“Useful but potentially problematic” Being the obvious one. I voted for “Useful” because it absolutely is. But it has potential to cause issues with leaks and cabin noise.

“Useful, but not worth delaying or increasing the cost of the truck” being perhaps another good answer here.