John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
You can always mount lights on the dog travel crate.

-Crissa
I plan on a four point arresting gear attached to a harness allowing movement and protection with a sudden stop.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
A roll down window or even a sliding window in the back should be good for this Iā€™d think?

In my book midgate is kind of meh but an openable window is quite appealing and common ubiquitous on trucks.
I ordered the truck without any mention of a midgate. No disappointment if does not exist. Having a midgate with my previous avalanche, the midgate came in handy a few times a year.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
You can put lights on that, too. A rave collar.

-Crissa
Plus video screen and camera to interact through the vault. I will just put the fur bomb in the cab if no access from cab to bed.

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
I didn't vote.
Personally, I do not see a midgate as all that useful nor do I see it as totally useless. I needed choice "C".

The midgate as an option, would have a specialized purpose that would be used only on occasion. A retractable rear window would meet nearly all of my few needs, also.

From TESLA's point of view, if one was to look at the cost and engineering to add a midgate to this new vehicle, frankly (and at this time) ... "The juice is not worth the squeeze."

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have a dog that I would like to have more space when I am away, so having an access door, whether he uses is or not, would be nice. I could see the value of being able to stretch out on occasion, at night, and an access method that is large enough to not feel claustrophobic would be nice. In general if I have items that I need to move that are longer than 8' or so I would want a rack, and in that case I would like to have a Rivian-style rack that is easily added or removed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I didn't vote.
Personally, I do not see a midgate as all that useful nor do I see it as totally useless. I needed choice "C".

The midgate as an option, would have a specialized purpose that would be used only on occasion. A retractable rear window would meet nearly all of my few needs, also.

From TESLA's point of view, if one was to look at the cost and engineering to add a midgate to this new vehicle, frankly (and at this time) ... "The juice is not worth the squeeze."
Specialized purpose of hauling longer things? Which is pretty much the second most common thing I haul.

-Crissa

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Crissa,
- Would just leaving the truck's tailgate down give you enough length? (Though it would not be safe from theft if you make intermediate stops.)
- Would a retractable window work? That you would give you the ability to push material through the opening into the cockpit/cabin. This would also yield several feet more length than simply folding up a rear seat, but it may create other problems.
- BTW, what do you use now, and exactly how long is "longer things"?

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
The issue for me is that space is there with no middle front seat you could safely store and transport vey long lumber, pipes or other things. No transmission hump to get in the way it is a natural to have access to that space. The other issue for me personally is camping access to climate controls. having the ability to use the back seat as part of a camp bed is so much more useful with the head room it affords. At the tail gate end you really can't do much except stow your boots.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Crissa,
- Would just leaving the truck's tailgate down give you enough length? (Though it would not be safe from theft if you make intermediate stops.)
- Would a retractable window work? That you would give you the ability to push material through the opening into the cockpit/cabin. This would also yield several feet more length than simply folding up a rear seat, but it may create other problems.
- BTW, what do you use now, and exactly how long is "longer things"?
1) Out the back:
That sticks things out the back, which is a no-go for things over ten feet.
It also leaves things vulnerable to the rain

2) Window:
That'll work for some things, but not heavy things.

3) Now? I have a Mazda 3.
I wrap them over the Mazda front to back with the roof rack, thread them through the windows, carry them in smaller batches, and/or have them delivered.

The back seats are generally dead space when I'm carrying cargo. For me it's usually 'need extra seats' or 'need to carry long things.'

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
California Cybercruzn Wagon. Didn't you see the porthole window in the back?

1678903246922.png
My parents owned a ā€˜79 Pinto. Aside from the whole fuel tank exploding thing it was actually a fun little wagon. Today they would call it an SUV LOL.

Rear wheel drive and manual transmission with two teenage sons driving it, quite easy to get sideways. Went through a lot of tires.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As far as I know, the only ā€œtruck-like-thingā€ which had a midgate prior to the Hummer was the Avalanche which was discontinued due to poor sales.

And the only reason the Avalanche had it was because (much like its cousin the EVilanche) it had a tiny bed. I donā€™t think any full sized trucks with 6+ foot beds have this. One vague comment by Elon and this lit up.
Sponsored