Lift kit for Cybertruck?

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
If you build it, (CT), they (lift kits) will come.
And not just lift kits, winch bumpers, roof racks and all the typical off-road mods & accessories will come.
Not the day the 1st one is delivered, but once there are enough of them out there the aftermarket will be there. ?
I'm sure you're aware that vehicle insurers and law enforcers are increasingly banning changes that could, in their opinion, affect safety, in this case due to handling issues.
Sponsored

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I'm sure you're aware that vehicle insurers and law enforcers are increasingly banning changes that could, in their opinion, affect safety, in this case due to handling issues.
I'm not aware besides emissions and some lights. If you lift and put wider tires you might have to alter/add mud flaps, I guess? The aftermarket is alive and well for trucks. I don't expect that to change much.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
It's hard to be exact because every state and province is individual. I'm not opposing modifications but pointing out that

-increasingly, insurance policies require that any alterations from factory specs be declared to the insurer. (There's one report of a claim denial because of an undeclared decal on the window.)

-increasingly, insurers include declared modifications on their policy information that police can access on their cruiser computer. So if you are stopped in one of those jurisdictions, and the cop sees a modification that the policy information indicates was not declared (and approved), you might get treated as if you were without insurance.

As far as I know, law enforcers don't check for emission violations but can require a safely check that would include that. As for lights, typical laws prohibit their location above the headlights, or just their use on public roads.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess I've never heard of an insurer doing those things mentioned and I've been active on several popular truck forums for years (probably decades now?).

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I guess I've never heard of an insurer doing those things mentioned and I've been active on several popular truck forums for years (probably decades now?).
HERE THEN

A 21-year-old driver was denied an insurance claim after writing off his vehicle, due to it being modified from stock.

According to Global News, Modasir Ayobi leased a 2020 Subaru BRZ for $500 per month. He takes great pride in his sports car, and even works two jobs to be able to afford it. It was great sadness when he had an accident on March 12th, and insurance declared the vehicle a total loss.

Ayobi was found to be at fault for the accident but was not charged. When it came time for insurance to pay for the value of the vehicle, they didn’t.

“They denied the whole claim, around $35,000,” Ayobi said.

The claim was denied because Ayobi had modified the exhaust system, which is a popular modification to make to a sports car. However, it’s a modification that some insurance companies and lease companies will not allow you to make.

“If I knew modifications would affect insurance I wouldn’t have done that,” he said.

According to a document from Desjardins that was sent to Ayobi when he insured his vehicle;
“Your vehicle is considered to be modified if it has been changed in any way from its original condition in order to improve or alter its performance, appearance or increase its value. If you make or plan to make modifications to your vehicle, contact us to make certain we are able to insure you properly,”

Ayobi spent $2,000 to have the exhaust system upgraded, but kept the original in his basement, to be reinstalled when the four-year lease had finished. The small modification ended up costing him not only his vehicle, but his insurance policy was cancelled as well.

AND HERE "BMW demands payment on financed M4 after owner’s mods"

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Getting an insurance company to pay out is getting extremely difficult.

I spent almost a year getting reimbursed for a failed roadside repair. It cost me $12k to fix what the service guy damaged. And, I had the incident on video! I had to hire an attorney. Then they paid.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Getting an insurance company to pay out is getting extremely difficult.

I spent almost a year getting reimbursed for a failed roadside repair. It cost me $12k to fix what the service guy damaged. And, I had the incident on video! I had to hire an attorney. Then they paid.
That's because the Claims Denier (oops, I mean Claims Adjuster) is not there to serve the policy-holder but the insurer, for whom their first duty is to look for any reason (under the terms of the policy) as to why the claim can be denied. That's what they do for a living, that's their expertise.

But insurers are licenced and tightly regulated by the jurisdiction they're in (usually a state body). Before hiring a lawyer, it's often worthwhile to complain to that body because It has to power to order payment or suspend the licence to operate. "Sorry, the adjuster says your claim has to be denied because ...." "OK, fine. How do I contact the appeals person for the regulatory body that licences your company? You can't or won't tell me? That might interest them as well!

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I know other trucks with 4 corner air suspension have lift kit options for 4" over stock. Do we know or think it is possible to mod the suspension of the Cybertruck?
What about larger tires on the stock suspension?
I know changing the suspension or larger tires will drop the range of the batteries, but ICE truck owners have gone crazy with lifts and tires all the time with no regards to mileage.

Personally I am fine with 35" tires so I will leave it as is.
Tesla probably provided +1 flex into its Cybertruck but IDK even that.

Cybertruck will be one expensive vehicle to modify, at your own risk! Beadlock rims, wider wheels, tire changes, fender flare extensions are easy low hanging mods. Racks, equipment front and rear will require a degree of design skill. After that its custom engineering and Big Bucks all the way down.

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
Hate the look of trucks raised up to high.
At least if your gona do it then upgrade the tires to fit right.
Tiny wheels/tires on a highraised truck look sad to me.

{ nearly as bad as low riders! }
Just my taste. I know others love that look. :)

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla probably provided +1 flex into its Cybertruck but IDK even that.

Cybertruck will be one expensive vehicle to modify, at your own risk! Beadlock rims, wider wheels, tire changes, fender flare extensions are easy low hanging mods. Racks, equipment front and rear will require a degree of design skill. After that its custom engineering and Big Bucks all the way down.
I try to buy the car or truck that meets my required service needs so I don't need to modify extensively. Back in the day cars and trucks came with weak engines, over-heating differentials and transmissions, cheap tiny steel wheels, cheap tires, etc. Modern vehicles from the better manufacturers come in a range of models and trims to suit most service needs right from the manufacturer. And this can save the new vehicle buyer money because mods can get expensive.

Sometimes mods are just the owner's way of saying "Hey, look at me, I'm an extreme guy with extreme service needs." but most often it's just fake bravado. They might go wheeling through a deep mud bog just to prove they can do it but they really don't need those monster mudder tires to get the job done, they just want to look the part.

Cybertruck comes with massive power and torque, an electric vault cover, fully adjustable suspension suitable for 3500 lb. load, real truck wheels and tires, built-in electrical power and air compressor, integrated bed ramp, all the driver aids someone could want, LED headlights, etc, etc, etc. I'm not saying nobody going to want to mod it but the need is certainly a lot less when a truck comes with so much functionality from the factory. Plus, I don't want my cruising range impacted by stuff that's not absolutely necessary to get the job done. Mods often reduce the practical functionality of a truck in more ways than they improve it.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Hate the look of trucks raised up to high.
At least if your gona do it then upgrade the tires to fit right.
Tiny wheels/tires on a highraised truck look sad to me.

{ nearly as bad as low riders! }
Just my taste. I know others love that look. :)
Real off-roaders know you want to maintain a fairly low center of gravity to increase off-road capability. Roll-overs are actually quite common with lifted rigs off-road and it's one of the more common ways to be seriously injured or die from off-roading.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Real off-roaders know you want to maintain a fairly low center of gravity to increase off-road capability. Roll-overs are actually quite common with lifted rigs off-road and it's one of the more common ways to be seriously injured or die from off-roading.
Off-road? After I lifted my Jeep Commando (remember them?) 4", my wife took it just down the street -- and rolled it! (No harm, except that's one side mirror that would never reflect again.)

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
HERE THEN

A 21-year-old driver was denied an insurance claim after writing off his vehicle, due to it being modified from stock.

According to Global News, Modasir Ayobi leased a 2020 Subaru BRZ for $500 per month. He takes great pride in his sports car, and even works two jobs to be able to afford it. It was great sadness when he had an accident on March 12th, and insurance declared the vehicle a total loss.

Ayobi was found to be at fault for the accident but was not charged. When it came time for insurance to pay for the value of the vehicle, they didn’t.

“They denied the whole claim, around $35,000,” Ayobi said.

The claim was denied because Ayobi had modified the exhaust system, which is a popular modification to make to a sports car. However, it’s a modification that some insurance companies and lease companies will not allow you to make.

“If I knew modifications would affect insurance I wouldn’t have done that,” he said.

According to a document from Desjardins that was sent to Ayobi when he insured his vehicle;
“Your vehicle is considered to be modified if it has been changed in any way from its original condition in order to improve or alter its performance, appearance or increase its value. If you make or plan to make modifications to your vehicle, contact us to make certain we are able to insure you properly,”

Ayobi spent $2,000 to have the exhaust system upgraded, but kept the original in his basement, to be reinstalled when the four-year lease had finished. The small modification ended up costing him not only his vehicle, but his insurance policy was cancelled as well.

AND HERE "BMW demands payment on financed M4 after owner’s mods"
Turns out, in the linked article, that the insurance company reviewed their denial and reversed course, paying for the claim.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Turns out, in the linked article, that the insurance company reviewed their denial and reversed course, paying for the claim.
Yes, after the media got involved.
Sponsored