Locating the Big Screen

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
First the big screens went in police cruisers. Couldn't locate them in front of the driver because that's where the instrument display is, so the screen went in the middle of the dash, and (at least in those I've seen), aimed straight back instead of being canted (turned) toward the driver.

Now Teslas have them. You'd think they'd be located more to the left, since there's nothing else on the dash in front of the driver. And that the closer it's located to the center of the dash, the more it would be turned toward the driver.

Why isn't that done in Teslas? Before the CT interior is finalized, I hope Mr. Musk will hire an ergonomist (human factors engineer).
Sponsored

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I wouldn’t want that big screen directly in front of me especially at night (as it’s never completely black while on). Besides it would be obstructed by the wheel (unless you’re talking about a smaller instrument cluster).

The screen is just as much for the passengers singing karaoke, scrolling around in the map or controlling various aspects of the car. There aren’t many other physical buttons. With TACC, autopilot, etc you as a driver don’t really need to keep such a close watch on it as much as on older kinds of cars. Teslas can ding if you’re passing the speed limit by too much for example. It’s quite relaxing driving without any leds, dials or numbers in your view straight ahead all the time IMHO. Maybe because I don’t focus my eyes back and forth all the time.

The new 17" screen in the refreshed Model S and X *swivels* to either side and I expect it to be the same screen as the Cybertruck will have. In an even bigger car (truck) with a more free-standing screen (according to the CT prototype) I don’t see why it wouldn’t swivel too.

Last edited:

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
My early Model S has a screen behind the steering wheel, but the only way to interact with it is via the steering wheel controls. I imagine that going to a single screen is tied to their goal to make things as simplistic as possible. 2 screens means 2 panels to replace if they fail, 2 wiring harnesses, 2 sets of software to run the screens, two bezels,...you get the idea.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
First the big screens went in police cruisers. Couldn't locate them in front of the driver because that's where the instrument display is, so the screen went in the middle of the dash, and (at least in those I've seen), aimed straight back instead of being canted (turned) toward the driver.

Now Teslas have them. You'd think they'd be located more to the left, since there's nothing else on the dash in front of the driver. And that the closer it's located to the center of the dash, the more it would be turned toward the driver.

Why isn't that done in Teslas? Before the CT interior is finalized, I hope Mr. Musk will hire an ergonomist (human factors engineer).
Too late. The design is finalized, but I hope there is some degree of swivel possible as in the Plaid Model S/X.
Sponsored