Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Spark EV, Cybertruck reserved
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone heard talk of adding a long range option to the 2-motor truck at purchase? I really want the 500 mile range (for towing our travel trailer) but I don't need the expense or capability of the 3-motor version.

300 miles is just too short. If I go by my gas truck I can expect roughly half the range when towing, so that's 150 miles. We easily go 75 miles one-way into the woods for a trip, add a 20% comfort margin and that gets pretty short. 125 miles one-way sounds much better.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The reason you get half the range is because your power consumption is double. That means your torque is double and your heat dissipation is double. That is by and large what the third motor is there for not to mention that with the extra motor you will have more capable torque vectoring for enhanced towing stability.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The CT should be getting the next generation of batteries. They will be announced on battery day but no date has been announced yet.

I can’t wait to hear what type of new battery tech is in the pipeline. Hearing tons of rumors, but I need to hear an official announcement by Tesla.

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The CT should be getting the next generation of batteries. They will be announced on battery day but no date has been announced yet.

I can’t wait to hear what type of new battery tech is in the pipeline. Hearing tons of rumors, but I need to hear an official announcement by Tesla.
If battery tech significantly increases range across all trims, this would be a game changer both for towing and the competition. We can hope...
I only ordered tri for range. I could see a much bigger market for the lower trims being much more affordable. Similarly those that have to tow will now consider the higher trims as viable. He’s going to need a few more giga factories though!

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag

I always assumed that the stated ranges for the cybertruck (and the prices) were taking into account unannounced battery advances. I think it is wishful thinking that the stated stats for the cybertruck are going to see large increases in range once battery day occurs. The 500 mile range at 70k tri-motor config points to them believing they can reduce the cost per kWh.

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
I'd love a big battery option on the dual motor. I need range much more than sub 3 sec. 0-60.
TFL did a video on towing with the X. After watching that my sense is combining heavy, unaerodynamic, and distance means 150 kwh or more. Unless you want to spend your vacation time driving 20 mph under the flow of traffic and at supercharger stations, LOL.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Battery day will reveal all! I'll stick with the dual motor, million mile battery. Supercharger V3, 30 minute 3/4 th charge time, Quiet cybertruck@varooom!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
TFL did a video on towing with the X. After watching that my sense is combining heavy, unaerodynamic, and distance means 150 kwh or more.
We don't know the distance any particular trailered load can be towed but we do know the range of the vehicle is to be 500 miles without a trailer. We also know the consumption of the biggest vehicle they are making now (X) is around 280 Wh/mi and that the battery size would have to be 280*500 = 140 kWh if the X had 500 miles range. The CT will weigh more than the X and, even if the drag coefficient is about the same, have bigger projected frontal area. Thus its consumption will be larger. If it is 350 Wh/mi then the battery would have to be 175 kWh. Were it as much as 400 Wh/mi then its battery would have to be 200 kWh for 500 miles range. Thus, towing considerations aside, the CT TriMotor will have a battery approaching or perhaps even exceeding 200 kWh

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
If Motortrend exclusive article with Cybertruck is to be believed, from their time inside the Tesla design studio reviewing the Cybertruck and interviewing Franz and others.

A Cybertruck will simply come with 2 battery packs, one stacked on top of the other.

Therefore its believed 2 x 100kwh is the Tri Motor. (There are other reasons to support this.)

They also clearly state an option will exist to get an additional battery (capacity unknown) for the Dual Motor Cybertruck. The standard battery capacity on the Dual Motor, while not confirmed is believed to be 100kwh.

P.S. While counter intuitive to 3mm thick Stainless Steel contruction, the Cybertruck will be a light
vehicle ( considering its very capable load and towing capacity ) as it is an Exoskeleton.

Confirmation of this is Tesla’s letter to CARB confirming vehicle classification is Class 2B-3 medium duty. All inclusive, curb weight will be between 5000 - 6500 lbs. for all 3 versions.

( Unless they are being coy with the single motor, in which case it would not surprise me if it comes in the 4000 lbs range )

It is speculation on my part, but for reasons given elsewhere, I expect Dual Motor Range will be defined as about 380 miles, and Tri Motor Range of about 620 miles.

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
Has anyone heard talk of adding a long range option to the 2-motor truck at purchase? I really want the 500 mile range (for towing our travel trailer) but I don't need the expense or capability of the 3-motor version.

300 miles is just too short. If I go by my gas truck I can expect roughly half the range when towing, so that's 150 miles. We easily go 75 miles one-way into the woods for a trip, add a 20% comfort margin and that gets pretty short. 125 miles one-way sounds much better.
I suspect they are pulling the same stunt with the cybertruck as they did with the semi. The numbers could be goals of range when towing. They could be doing this because they don't know if the technology will be available at the time or to suprise people. This is pure speculation but considering we hear reports of the semi out performing those initial numbers when towing max it makes sense.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
I can definitely be happy with 380+ miles for a dual motor.
I am hoping that battery day will be so mind blowing that we might see 300+ for the single, 400+ for the dual And 550-600 for the tri.
My wishful thinking.

Flad11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck someday
Country flag
I’d like to see the dual motor with longer range. I don’t need the truck for the speed but would like the range. Living in Minnesota we don’t have a lot o of supercharging stations and in the winter time there can be a long time without any sunlight.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Here’s a little speculation, but its not exactly unfounded, and I think distinctly possible !

As its highly likely the Dual Motor Cybertruck will weigh very close to the Model S, 5095 lbs. (for reasons explained elsewhere). Maybe less !
The range would be very similar to the Model S’, 390 miles.

Given the model S has a .23 Cd and Cybertruck will be less efficient,
range may drop to say 365 miles.

If battery day announcements show, say a 5 % improvement in energy density, to perhaps 262 Wh/kg, that means a 383 mile range.

If as one possibility doing the rounds eventuates, and the battery size is also increased from 100 kwh to say 110 kwh, then that means 421 miles. of range (Including approx. additional weight penalty)

If as Motor Trend suggest that the option will exist for the Dual Motor Cybertruck to get an additional battery. Say an additional 40 kwh.
Meaning total capacity becomes 150 kwh, then that mean an approx. 540 mile Range.

Tri Motor range, with estimated 2 x 110 kwh battery’s is approx. 710 mile Range

Which means if they wish, they could in fact juggle the figures, and present them closer to the originally stated, 300 + miles, and 500 + miles, and state that, that is while carrying a load of a particular weight, perhaps half tonne, (1100 lb/s).

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I want a longer range

totally agreed, I want a longer range version. As it is now 250miles for single motor is what ill get because 50 more miles and another motor for $10k isnt worth it for me.

so far its
-$40k for 250 miles 1 motor
-$50k for 300 miles 2 motor

- i want-> $60k for 450 miles 2 motor
-$70k for tri motor? and 500 miles.

I see a spot for $60k, 400-450 miles, 2 motor?
150-200 miles for 20k, better than 50 miles for 10k

if its 450 I would buy that version 400 still "meh" for me

than its still 50 miles and extra motor on both the high end and low end
Sponsored

Last edited: