Timoj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Most boring Model Y
Country flag
Wind power of a scale small enough to overland would be totally impractical and would not add significnt range unless you were in a nice gale most of the time. The ones you see on sailboats don't do much more than keep the batteries from slowly draining.

The reason wind power is effective is due to the extreme scale of modern turbines. They continue to get larger and larger. Wind travels very slow at surface levels and it's impractical to get them 50-100 feet off the ground on an overland journey.
They could work at a oasis though.

Which do you think would be less susceptible to vandalism at a MW scale;
A solar installation or a MW wind turbine?

Or maybe it’s a question of vandalism risk vs maintenance schedule?

Which would be more effective and economical?

Last edited:

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
A trailer that has motors of its own combined with batteries would eliminate towing loss and possibly add more range if the car and the trailer can share power.

OP
OP
Timoj

Timoj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Most boring Model Y
Country flag
A trailer that has motors of its own combined with batteries would eliminate towing loss and possibly add more range if the car and the trailer can share power.
An integrated trailer battery may only just offset the load on the tow vehicle. Which by itself is obviously not unhelpful, but when coupled with in wheel motors and an solar array presents quite a compelling solution.

In wheel motors on a trailer provide unprecedented stability control at all speeds, regenerative braking and unprecedented safety when moving unhitched.

Depending on the size of the array, solar has what should be obvious advantages.

As has been shared previously in this thread, the capacity to share power from and to an external source whilst driving enables new many new technologies and solutions. Snow plough, cybercat, glider winch….etc etc.

Last edited:

Haopec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P100d, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
An integrated trailer battery may only just offset the load on the tow vehicle. Which by itself is obviously not unhelpful, but when coupled with in wheel motors and an solar array presents quite a compelling solution.

In wheel motors on a trailer provide unprecedented stability control at all speeds, regenerative braking and unprecedented safety when moving unhitched.

Depending on the size of the array has what should be obvious advantages.

As has been shared previously in this thread, the capacity to share power from and to an external source whilst driving enables new many new technologies and solutions. Snow plough, cybercat, glider winch….etc etc.
Ive always thought A battery trailer could be useful 100% of the time, unlike my 7500lb paper weight trailer that I use 5% of the year.
The other 95% of the time my battery trailer could be plugged in to my home "VTG" and making me money in arbitrage.

Love it!

OP
OP
Timoj

Timoj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Most boring Model Y
Country flag
Ive always thought A battery trailer could be useful 100% of the time, unlike my 7500lb paper weight trailer that I use 5% of the year.
The other 95% of the time my battery trailer could be plugged in to my home "VTG" and making me money in arbitrage.

Love it!
I’m hoping that after Cybertruck, roadster and Robotaxi/model 2, the something else is a flat bed trailer.

Completely flat profile with suspension attachment points all within the chassis frame for aerodynamics and added benefit that it could be easily bulk shipped without wheels and suspension.

Ordered with your choice of battery storage, options engineered to support maximum load for double axle. Easily customisable to various needs; from an overland camper as discussed on this thread or built out to be a car transporter or full size caravan/RV.

So many options for what at most times would normally function as a paperweight in a driveway but become infinitely more useful as mobile energy storage.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck MY Prius Merc VW
Country flag
I’m hoping that after Cybertruck, roadster and Robotaxi/model 2, the something else is a flat bed trailer.

Completely flat profile with suspension attachment points all within the chassis frame for aerodynamics and added benefit that it could be easily bulk shipped without wheels and suspension.

Ordered with your choice of battery storage, options engineered to support maximum load for double axle. Easily customisable to various needs; from an overland camper as discussed on this thread or built out to be a car transporter or full size caravan/RV.

So many options for what at most times would normally function as a paperweight in a driveway but become infinitely more useful as mobile energy storage.
And if you wanted too, could make your existing ICE truck a hybrid.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m not sure this is entirely true.

The energy required is the same no matter the drive train. Electric drive trains are more efficient so EV should be better off road.
The energy required for both is the same, but the energy requirement for digging through dirt is still higher for both than compared to on-road. That means more wh per km on sandy roads than bitumen, so less range. Just like driving in the rain uses more (in a ICE up to a litre) because all the water you lift off the road and convert to water mist.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They could work at a oasis though.

Which do you think would be less susceptible to vandalism at a MW scale;
A solar installation or a MW wind turbine?

Or maybe it’s a question of vandalism risk vs maintenance schedule?

Which would be more effective and economical?
Rather have solar in outback Australia. Much more reliable and available than wind. Only downside is you have to charge during the day to avoid having large storage batteries for nightime use.

Technically, you can just run a batteryless inverter and solar panels, would be super cheap, you can get 100kW of panels off the gov for free, just need to add frame and about $20k for inverters.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Smart ForTwo EQ
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don’t think you have a good understanding of how big of a generator you would need in order to maintain overland travel in a Cybertruck. A 2.5kW generator is quite big. It’s not going to hitch mount well. Even a 1.5kW generator which would run at a deficit the whole drive is going to be quite large and would need to continue running after the truck stops to top off the battery. Either way you’d want this mounted inboard, not on the hitch.

Teslas do not currently support charging while moving so whatever you did would have to be some kind of hack or rely on an exterior battery which would add additional weight to the mix.

I do think Tesla supporting charging while driving is a super interesting thing, it would help with a lot of solutions. For example you could support a trailer with regen braking, a big solar trailer, or a generator trailer.

Ultimately, I think that last would be ideal, Tesla adding a charge-on-the-go port and letting third parties cook up how to make it work.
Let’s get Tesla in introduce V2H/G/L first then hopefully charging while moving will follow.

CYBERBACKPACK