KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
For those concerned about range and towing this video may offer a little insight. I don't doubt CT capability to do better than what's shown in this video...

Does this make you rethink CT vs M3 purchase? I did for a second, but I think CT will still have more value for sure.

(Note: I've seen similar threads but thought new video was worth new conversation. )
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The CT will have rear wheel torque vectoring so sway will be largely compensated for. The CT will (or the TriMotor will) have a battery twice the size to kill the drag for such a rig which has to be 3 times what the S's drag is at a given speed. Did they discuss range in this video? For those who know how to read that consumption display the story is pretty clear. You wouldn't get very far towing that thing at highway speed with an S.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Mentions at 90 km per hour (55.8 mph) have a 100 mile range and then needing to spend an hour charging. If you count drive plus charging he average 35.8 mph. He mentions driving to Florida from Ontario! He is going to slow down thousands of others unless he speeds up and then charges every 60-75 minutes. What a fool!
Confused. Not sure how he would slow down thousands of others.

Sure driving at 55.8 mph on the interstate will possibly slow down some people for a short amount of time till they can get around him. But at the absolute maximum he would slow down 1 lane of traffic for the drive between charging stops. During the charging times, he is not slowing anyone down. And even during the driving periods, he is only moderately slowing down the traffic.

There are often slow drivers in vehicles going around 40 to 50 mph. Sure they are annoying to the other drivers around them, That annoyance though is but a blip in the daily experience of all but the most road-rage susceptible among us.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Many trailers have a max towing speed of 55 MPH. I have also seen fullsize trucks towing RVs and boats going 55, even on highways where the speed LIMIT is 65 and 70.

I have been on a few roads (mostly toll roads) that have a minimum speed, which from what is mentioned in the video, the Model 3 would still be able to stay above.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ooh this is getting interesting (grabs popcorn)
Ehh. I already had the argument here telling people how to use pull-outs and that their use is required in the West. That many (most?) people speed is no skin off my nose. I just want them to drive safely and use pull-outs. And I guess, not to harass others for driving safely for their load.

-Crissa

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
In my state the maximum speed of a truck is usual 5 mph less then the max for vehicle not towing. What I would weight in about towing large trailers or heavy loads is the unforeseeable event that will require a driving judgement and tactical action. I am sure it has happened to all of us. I was pushed off the highway in Washington State by a fellow who fell asleep while driving a three axle class A motorhome while towing chevy avalanche. His rig was over 60 feet long, I was driving my truck with camper on it and also towing a trailer, my gross weight combine around 17K lbs ( I use the scales ). Mid afternoon on highway 395 I am driving along at 57 mph going up and down the hills, I am watching my mirrors and I can see him coming over 1/2 mile behind me and he his traveling very fast with in minutes he is about to over take ,me, about 25 feet of motorhome is in front me when I notice we are dangerously close to each other. My camper is 100 wide and I am sure his vehicle is also. I start to move over till I am on the fog line and then it happened, his rig went into my lane I have never seen my truck that close to any car on the road until that day I yanked the steering wheel to the right and drove off the highway, my camper is 11 feet high...I thought I was going to roll my truck, It didn't happen, I spent a lot of time to properly setting up the truck to carry and handle the load. The truck did not sway back and forth that camper are famous for. I modified the suspension and wheels, it costed me thousands to do this. I did also contact a spring manufacture to get advice for spring sizing. In the end be safe and when carry or towing use a vehicle that is made for it, I know I will appreciate it.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I did this same thing with a Porsche 911 turbo I raced in the One Lap of America. I towed a small trailer for most of the years I raced. Our trailer weighed 400 lbs. One time we came up on an accident, we towed the guys tear drop trailer to the shop that was getting his damaged car.

At least the guy modified the car and integrated the hitch into "frame", but...... a 7000lbs trailer with a car tow rated for 2000. Sway control bars, weight distribution bars, hitch, receiver, ball, brake controller, etc... $2000 easy, plus the time and effort.

I want my 10 minutes of life back

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
To me, the key to any sizable load on an EV, is to fit the trailer with a skateboard battery that plugs up to a fitted charge port on the rear of the vehicle. This would allow the trailer battery to supplement the vehicle's battery, all the way. Another benefit of the skateboard on a trailer, is the instant stability that would provide in high wind or even evasive maneuvers. The only real problem is the time needed at the charge stations. A pull-through station could be invaluable where both the vehicle and trailer might be able to be connected at the same time. peace

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
If you look at the hitch setup, a couple things were notable to me.
They minimized the "overhang" - the hitch is as short as possible. Right up tight to the bumper of the car. As the expert explained, minimizing the ratio of hitch overhang or distance back from the rear axle as compared to the wheelbase of the tow vehicle is an important factor in minimizing sway. The anti-sway features of the car's towing mode is mentioned. All of that combines to make the trailer not push the car around as much.

Also, its a weight distribution hitch. It took some mods to the car to get the custom weight distribution hitch installed solidly attached to the vehicle. Weight distribution is important to put enough weight up on the front wheels of the car for steering. Without that, you might find a lot of under steer which could lead to loss of control. Especially in any kind of lower traction situation like wet roads. You can see that they have the weight distribution cranked up so there is no drop in the back of the car - the weight is evenly across all four wheels.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Also, in the part of the video where they show the power graph, it looks to be maxed out quite a bit of the time. How long can an M3 Tesla run at maximum output before things start to overheat? I cannot imagine the system is designed for 100% duty cycle at max output at max ambient temp. An electric vehicle with more total power like the CT would hopefully give more "headroom" of not being maxed out as much.
Sponsored