Major mistake not including charge cables with all new vehicles!

RandyS

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 Performance, 2021 Model Y LR
Country flag
I think there's a pretty easy solution to all of this...Sell the car for a "base price" amount, and have the buyers check boxes on the website for all the accessories they want to include (mobile connector, NEMA 14-50 adapter, mats, locking lug nuts, sun shades, whatever). Deliver the accessories with the car, and the problem is solved.

People that don't want certain stuff don't have to buy it (like if you're planning on buying rubber mats from a 3rd party anyways, then don't buy the Tesla mats), and people that do want Tesla stuff can buy it and get it when they pick up their cars...

Who knows, maybe Tesla can make some additional money along the way by offering a few more accessories that others have been selling...
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
If you cannot install a 50 amp circuit, then there are either electrical infrastructure problems in your area, or somehow it is legally prohibited? Most American (single family) homes are fitted with a 200 amp electrical service to the main panel or load center, which usually gives plenty of capacity for an outgoing 50 amp circuit. I'm not sure what the situation is in Canada. I've known many people who have got a new meter (additional service line) to their detached garage or workshop, and others who upgraded their existing service (say from 125amp to 200amp) but of course that costs money. But it's worth it in the long term. Of course for those living in town houses or shared apartments/condominiums, in urban areas this may not be feasible.

I hope you can find a solution to have more electrical (energy) autonomy and independence at your residence! I do agree these are factors that should be emphasized to Tesla as they plan to reach a wider market for EV adoption. I think as they scale more and more, they could possibly put more urban supercharger locations active, but I think their priority in superchargers right now is for Teslas on road trips (Elon has said that home charging should be a normal practice like one charges their cell phone). Of course a cell phone charger barely takes a few Milli-amps at 110v (up to 1 amp only after transforming down to 5Vdc), so definitely an apples to oranges comparison. But I do think Elon wants to make home charging equally as practical soon if not some day, but there is a lot on Tesla's plate right now so who knows when additional charging accessibility options will be offered at scale by Tesla?

I do think the issue of charging accessibility may be what is scaring some prospective buyers away at least in urban areas or apartment dwellings. However, for areas of existing electrical capacity, installing or arranging an installation for an additional circuit is not complex at all. In fact it is a quite easy process, at least for those with real life experiences and knowledge - having not been stupefied by texting in a phone all day for months and years on end. I am often very surprised at how many life-practical simple things a large portion of today's population has failed to ever learn, while they know how to thumb their phones faster than some people can type (atrocious spelling errors notwithstanding). For some installing a charger connection/circuit is much easier than they realize, yet for others in urban apartments or unique situations there are of course real blockages to electrical upgrades.

If I couldn't get a charging circuit at my own residence with robust capability (because the Cybertruck is going to need even more) - I'd think seriously about moving.
I have a 100A service in my condo and that feeds my outdoor outlet, a good 200 ft away. this is fed to a 15A breaker.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
it is concerning as less populated areas in Canada ( such as the hwy of my town ) don't have several supercharger options en route to home, and there can be hundreds of kilometers between locations, so these other adapters aren't 'optional' and serve much more as emergency or alternate backups to plan a route around. now I have to pay for what I consider to be a necessity where they used to be standard, which yes is BS. c'mon Elon your stats don't reflect the necessity in my situation; maybe they should be standard based on location ??
Proof Teslas’ charging are neither ubiquitous, or commodity toasters yet.

CAN definitely has its limits. I remember smuggling a US refrigerator up to our favorite fishing camp above Lake of the Woods on Red River’cuz Canadians could not own or buy one yet.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Proof Teslas’ charging are neither ubiquitous, or commodity toasters yet.

CAN definitely has its limits. I remember smuggling a US refrigerator up to our favorite fishing camp above Lake of the Woods on Red River’cuz Canadians could not own or buy one yet.
your US fridge likely doesn't meet Canadian safety standards ( CSA ) hence it couldn't be bought in Canada, so if you have insurance at this camp, and the fridge causes a fire, your insurance is null and void.

OP
OP
Toonces

Toonces

First Name
Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag
Congrats on your new car. You said you took delivery...was this perchance at a Tesla center where they had a bank of chargers?
Already filled with other Tesla’s being delivered that day. And no super chargers between me and my house.

OP
OP
Toonces

Toonces

First Name
Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag
ok, let’s remove a passenger seat. If you need it - just buy in advance before delivery! Data shows that there is not really usage of this seat. And much less usage of a back seat! Do you see the path?
Like the lumbar feature on passenger seat being deleted…go thing we have a 2020 because my wife would’ve been pissed off about that because of the need on road trips!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I think there's a pretty easy solution to all of this...Sell the car for a "base price" amount, and have the buyers check boxes on the website for all the accessories they want to include (mobile connector, NEMA 14-50 adapter, mats, locking lug nuts, sun shades, whatever). Deliver the accessories with the car, and the problem is solved.

People that don't want certain stuff don't have to buy it (like if you're planning on buying rubber mats from a 3rd party anyways, then don't buy the Tesla mats), and people that do want Tesla stuff can buy it and get it when they pick up their cars...

Who knows, maybe Tesla can make some additional money along the way by offering a few more accessories that others have been selling...
So...go back to the way cars have always been packaged/optioned?

There's a lot that I hate about the automotive market, but choice isn't really one of them. I do hate the way some companies have seemingly infinite correlated packages that force things. My Jeep Gladiator purchase involved hours with build sheets running different highlighters over various options. So I wanted feature X, but it was mandatorily tied to feature Y in most packages, which not only did I not prefer, I actively wanted to avoid it.

Tesla's simple three way SR/LR/P packages speak to me. But then, just give me a list of things to add, please. I use the UMC to charge at home, but a friend with a Y has never even opened the plastic on his charger kit. People have different needs.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Also the rubber mat thing is a great analogy. I don't know how many people I've heard whining about the lack of rubber mats in Jeeps, and even Teslas, as standard. I DO NOT WANT THIS!!! EVER! So one person's "obvious missing feature" would be another person's hated feature.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
You can just go to the "Shop" portion of the Tesla site and buy what you want. You already have that choice, and I like that. I'm a shop for add-ons kind of guy, and it's part of my process after buying my vehicle. The following months involve me buying a dozen things specific to how I operate that I need/want, that usually, no one else really cares for or about.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
You can just go to the "Shop" portion of the Tesla site and buy what you want. You already have that choice, and I like that. I'm a shop for add-ons kind of guy, and it's part of my process after buying my vehicle. The following months involve me buying a dozen things specific to how I operate that I need/want, that usually, no one else really cares for or about.
I believe what was suggested before, and I agree with, is walking people through the process of figuring out what they need. Most people don't know. Most people aren't us; the fact that we are here talking Tesla puts us in the 5% of buyers who understand cars. Almost everyone just wants a way to move from A to B and that's that. They don't understand chargers, or amps and watts. I've spent hours and hours helping people understand charging, and I think I gave them 10%. It's just confusing.

I would definitely walk people screen by screen into their options. Like when we ordered an electric bike, and it clearly showed us battery options, then charger options, then other options.

Mrp911

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
If Tesla doesn’t just include charge cables with all new vehicles, it’s going to be a epic and cheap mistake! I wasn’t able to line up an electrician until the day after I took delivery. It had 60% of charge and had 47 miles and 2000 ft of elevation @ 90 degrees to get home. The charge cable saved my ass, and MYLR. Not including a basic charging on average $60,000 not including tax car is cheap and repugnant! Matter of fact it should come with the full travel pack for all power outlets that are available through Tesla for $500 and just add the cost to the vehicle purchase price. Peace of mind can be priceless…
Get the home charger for all your home locations and if you need it for remote traveling ok if we have to buy it. You pay either way for it. Included or not.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Everyone, I have to Own something here, as I was not fully addressing the originator's points correctly in my first previous post. I had read part of the originators post in haste and misinterpreted its details. I had not realized they were talking about the exclusion of a Mobile Connector bag from new cars delivered, because when the OP said 'charging cable' I mis-interpreted that wording too quickly as an adapter cable used mainly on road trips (which is also true, but not fully inclusive of the points expressed).

So I've edited the post striking out what I would not have said, and added some more indented and italicized comments in a lighter color along with apolgies to the OP.

Owning misunderstandings or mis-perceptions is also good while admitting we're human and staying honest. I might've even swallowed a bite of 'crow', while misunderstanding, but that too is probably good for anyone every once in a while. Details are in the edited post:

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...-mistake-made-by-tesla.5091/page-3#post-98677