Skennada

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz
Country flag
I personally would swap a moon/sunroof for an all solar cap. I know, some would say that may look ugly, but, think of the joy of gaining miles on a long trip or not losing charge while parked at work?
Besides, I can bet any dollar on the likelihood of Tesla creating an aesthetically easy on the eye solar cells for this purpose.
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Combine those translucent PV cells with more traditional black ones that will cover the vault and you could possibly get up to 30 miles a day additional charge. I'm guessing here as I don't think the roof portion is the same size as the vault and they estimated the vault's contribution at 15 miles per day, I believe. (I drive 20 a day... so close)

OP
OP
Skennada

Skennada

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz
Country flag
Combine those translucent PV cells with more traditional black ones that will cover the vault and you could possibly get up to 30 miles a day additional charge. I'm guessing here as I don't think the roof portion is the same size as the vault and they estimated the vault's contribution at 15 miles per day, I believe. (I drive 20 a day... so close)
Exactly, I drive 37 miles a day. I don't know about anybody else, but being able to harvest (even if as little as) 40% of the energy for my daily commute from a FREE source (and all I need to do for the FREE is to just exist!) would keep a permanent grin on my face :).

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Exactly, I drive 37 miles a day. I don't know about anybody else, but being able to harvest (even if as little as) 40% of the energy for my daily commute from a FREE source (and all I need to do for the FREE is to just exist!) would keep a permanent grin on my face :).
Imagine if you just used so few miles a day if any. You'd only have to charge when you had to take longer trips... If you parked outside every day (I probably would still park in my garage though). If it charged up by solar 30 miles a day, that's 210 miles each sunny week. I only drive 100 miles a week!

OP
OP
Skennada

Skennada

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz
Country flag
Imagine if you just used so few miles a day if any. You'd only have to charge when you had to take longer trips... If you parked outside every day (I probably would still park in my garage though). If it charged up by solar 30 miles a day, that's 210 miles each sunny week. I only drive 100 miles a week!
Sweet! My CT would be the first vehicle ever that I would own and not worry about the sun licking my paint ;)

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Another benefit of the super durable SS exterior. It’s one of the main selling points in my book.

Think about all the exterior paint frustrations that we will be missing. Zero paint scratches, chips, swirls, waxing, fading, bird droppings permanently etching your clear coat, vandals keying your paint job, virtually all door dings, etc.

OP
OP
Skennada

Skennada

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz
Country flag
Another benefit of the super durable SS exterior. It’s one of the main selling points in my book.

Think about all the exterior paint frustrations that we will be missing. Zero paint scratches, chips, swirls, waxing, fading, bird droppings permanently etching your clear coat, vandals keying your paint job, virtually all door dings, etc.
Vandals would have to bring something close to a sledgehammer in order to get my attention (and good luck with your swing!). As for the rest petty keying vandals, be my guest! While on the topic, let this serve as my official notice to the other careless road users and reckless drivers whose hobby is to deliver dink and dents. come practice your art on me! .....You are welcome!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
but, think of the joy of gaining miles on a long trip or not losing charge while parked at work?
Reality check: When Elon says "Up to 15 mi per day" do you think is is talking Palm Springs at the summer solstice or Bangor at the winter solstice?

Easyejl

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Audi Q4 e-tron,2017 WRX STI, 2003 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Software development
Country flag
Well, if the solar roof isn't free you still aren't getting it free. ?

I'm in Florida so as long as the option isn't too overpriced I'll get it. Really boils down to how many kwh it puts out

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
15 miles per day at 0.4 kWh/Mi implies 6 kWh/da. Guessing 6 hours equivalent full sunshine per day (Palm Springs and the summer solstice) says about 1 kW max. In reality probably be 500 W or so.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
I'm still hoping for a second Tonneau that slides from over the roof, and stops and any point on the top while driving, can can continue over the windshield when stopped. That should add 30 miles a day.
Sponsored

Last edited: