Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
I am going to be going back to my usual 500 to 1000 mile weekly commute to Miami and back from May 8th to the remainder of the year. My only issue is that I don't want to spend a ton of money on tolls (usually the most efficient route, cuz FL Turnpike). So any ideas to save on fuel so I don't go spending to my old habits of $100 weekly gas fill-ups or spending $$$$$ on tolls? Route options are the following:

• US-27/US-41 (will run into a ton of signal lights along the way)
  • FL-50/I-95/FL-826 (some signal lights in the beginning)
  • US-27/I-75/US-41 (signal lights on 27 & 41)
  • FL Turnpike (just pure government cash grabs from home exit to exit 25 [University exit], but MOST fuel efficient option, and the most concentrated highway of horrible drivers)
I drive a V6 now, but previous car was an underpowered 4banger CUV with a CVT. Upcoming car will be the CT unless Tesla makes the price go above $100k OTD.
Sponsored

OP
OP
datechboss101

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
Here's the issue: I wrecked my previous car on the Turnpike because of god awful drivers. Its the reason why I put "the most concentrated highway of horrible drivers".

But from data that I collected from my previous vehicle, the turnpike yielded me 520 miles on a tank (round trip).

OP
OP
datechboss101

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
UPDATE:

I took the most efficient route (i.e.: Florida's Turnpike). However, what happened today made me to decide that I am going to permanently avoid the Turnpike like I am currently doing with Interstate 4. Although I was able to match the MPGs of a 4-cylinder with a CVT, it totally wasn't worth it. I just missed becoming part of a semi crash.

Not sure why the trucking industry repurposes old tires, but this truck had a blowout on the driver's front and which was directly in front of me, and that truck swerved into the median blocking the passing lane (Lane 1) on the Turnpike South in Palm Beach County.

In terms of MPGs and fuel; Gallons used: 9.857 gals out of 19.1 gals. MPG from the onboard computer showed 29.8 MPG, however, real-world calculations showed 28.5 MPG. Distance driven was 281 miles.
Sponsored