Maybe Single motor is all you need?

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
So I have the dual on order but starting to think hard about the single motor. I live in South Florida so no weather issues that require awd and I won’t be towing ever. Is the 250 mileage plenty even for a road trip that wouldn’t be often? I’m starting to think so but still not totally convinced and I know there is a possibility of the ranges getting pushed higher which would help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
So I have the dual on order but starting to think hard about the single motor. I live in South Florida so no weather issues that require awd and I won’t be towing ever. Is the 250 mileage plenty even for a road trip that wouldn’t be often? I’m starting to think so but still not totally convinced and I know there is a possibility of the ranges getting pushed higher which would help.
It depends if 250 miles is enough. My friend sold his early model s because he needed to go to his son's games in the evening and the round trip was more than the range without charging while watching the game... many more places have charging now and if your road trip isn't time constrained then .5 hr supercharger while bathroom break is going to get you further than Im comfortable driving in a day. They say range fear is the #1 concern of prospective buyers and #1 thing people forget about once they own.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
If he has this same train of thought for his area, I’m sure many others will as well? I don’t see resale being an issue here...

OP
OP
lslick23

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
I dont feel resale is an issue either and I usually keep my vehicles a long time. I have to admit when this launched I was one of those that bad mouthed it’s design for at least a month and then I started coming around and now thinks it’s incredible. I have a feeling a lot more converts to come!

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
single motor meets my needs, ordered two motor due to want. Waiting close to fulfillment to decide to leave at 2 motors or upgrade to 3. Based on my needs/want, sticking with 2 is most likely for my situation.

To give insight into my interests, I happily will be the only one driving ugly freeway commuting tires.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Regarding resale:
Using round numbers
Single motor 40K depreciates to ?
Tri motor 70K depreciates to ?

I am of an opinion this model will become a classic and ripe for restoration and modding.

OP
OP
lslick23

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
Yeah I think that’s the big question is how big of a battery do you need. I live in the concrete jungle of South Florida so 250 starting to sound like more than enough and especially if they increase the range on all the models.

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe, Explorer
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
I first ordered the dual motor model but changed it to the tri-motor after doing more research. The 500-mile range is a game-changer. I live in the Florida Keys and need enough range to get my family and utility trailer to the mainland in case of an evacuation. I estimate the 500-mile range will be cut in half pulling my trailer but that will still get me far enough. I also thought this truck was a joke when it was first reveled, but now I have fallen in love with this thing.

PATEL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Country flag
I know that the general held notion is that more motors and longer range results in best resale value. Has anyone come across any research/article about Model S, X, 3 resale values and how much higher resale in general you see from the higher spec'd models? I'd be interested in reading this. Thanks.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
With the rumor that the 1 motor is going to actually be a two motor RWD I got very interested in how that would play out for the two motor all wheel drive? Does that then become a three motor AWD? And then does the three motor become a four motor all wheel drive with tank steering? And do they "keep" the same cost for those that put in a "deposit"?
So I placed my bets on all three versions. It's only $300, and I can pull my money off the table if things stay the same and still get the one I want. Or buy a friend one. (YOU are not my friend.)

OP
OP
lslick23

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
With the rumor that the 1 motor is going to actually be a two motor RWD I got very interested in how that would play out for the two motor all wheel drive? Does that then become a three motor AWD? And then does the three motor become a four motor all wheel drive with tank steering? And do they "keep" the same cost for those that put in a "deposit"?
So I placed my bets on all three versions. It's only $300, and I can pull my money off the table if things stay the same and still get the one I want. Or buy a friend one. (YOU are not my friend.)
Ha! Thats a darn good way to play this!

mggoulet

First Name
Michel Goulet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck with 3 motors
Occupation
retired
Country flag
For us, our need is AWD and the longest range... so, possibly 2 motors with more than 500 miles???
Sponsored