Mexico Nuevo Leon Factory rumored in the works

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
According to Teslarati Tesla will be opening a factory in Nuevo Leon to assemble cargo trucks. Is that like a U Haul or is that the pull behind camper from the reveal night teaser photos. If not the latter where would those pull behind campers be manufactured? Do you think they will be available at release?
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
According to Teslarati Tesla will be opening a factory in Nuevo Leon to assemble cargo trucks. Is that like a U Haul or is that the pull behind camper from the reveal night teaser photos. If not the latter where would those pull behind campers be manufactured? Do you think they will be available at release?
Title is wrong. Should be Mexican state of "Nuevo Leon"

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cargo truck could mean a lot of different things. Usually when I hear the phrase I think of UHaul type box trucks though. That would be curious since there is nothing of the sort on Tesla’s product roadmap.

It might just be referring to the Tesla Semi though. Though it wouldn’t be too hard to convert the semi into a box truck??

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Cargo truck could mean a lot of different things. Usually when I hear the phrase I think of UHaul type box trucks though. That would be curious since there is nothing of the sort on Tesla’s product roadmap.

It might just be referring to the Tesla Semi though. Though it wouldn’t be too hard to convert the semi into a box truck??
The cabin is a bit big and fancy for a box truck, but yeah. Nothing on the product road map at this time.

-Crissa

Angel

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybetruck
Occupation
Project Manager Consultant
Country flag
I'm not surprised as there are other manufacturing plants in Nuevo Leon for Ford, Chrysler, and Hyundai/Kia. I know that as a fact as I leaved there before moving to Canada. Hopefully it will materialize!

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not surprised as there are other manufacturing plants in Nuevo Leon for Ford, Chrysler, and Hyundai/Kia. I know that as a fact as I leaved there before moving to Canada. Hopefully it will materialize!
It would make more sense to do it in Canada (North America). I am not sure that building in Mexico is going to be better for Tesla. I see parts factory there, but not a GigaNuevoLeon. I am also bias as I live in Canada/Quebec near Ottawa. Montreal has the people and the big river way (St-Laurent) to have easy access Europe (e.g., England) and the East side of North America (NY and etc.).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It would make more sense to do it in Canada (North America). I am not sure that building in Mexico is going to be better for Tesla. I see parts factory there, but not a GigaNuevoLeon. I am also bias as I live in Canada/Quebec near Ottawa. Montreal has the people and the big river way (St-Laurent) to have easy access Europe (e.g., England) and the East side of North America (NY and etc.).
I’d gotten the impression they were doing both.

Regardless, the latest buzz is that initially Nuevo LeĂłn would be parts factory for Fremont and Texas and later change to full EV production. (This is unfortunately sort of second hand but reasonably reliable)

Angel

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybetruck
Occupation
Project Manager Consultant
Country flag
Agreed, however, I believe labour costs are higher in Canada than in Mexico... either, or, I look very much forward to manufacturing within NorthAmerica, than other countries, i.e. China, India, etc...

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agreed, however, I believe labour costs are higher in Canada than in Mexico... either, or, I look very much forward to manufacturing within NorthAmerica, than other countries, i.e. China, India, etc...
Also note that Quebec/Canada has a LOT of natural resources that could be used to make lots of EV batteries. The cost of electricity in Quebec is also very low. A super big AI computer could be energized and cooled in the northern area of Quebec. Aluminum is also very available here, which requires lots of electricity to produce. Refining Lithium, which is available in Quebec, could also be done in here with the right investments. I think that the governments are open and willing to help with these special new ventures. Cheers!

The joys of winter... My Volt 2015 is there in the background of my front yard:
Tesla Cybertruck Mexico Nuevo Leon Factory rumored in the works My from yard with new snow 17 Dec 2022

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Mexico has many low/no tariff/customs free trade agreements with countries in Central America, South America, Caribbean island nations and even some African countries that the U.S. and Canada does not have agreements with. There are significant saving to having Mexico as export hub.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Automotive Industry This is a best prospect industry sector for this country. Includes a market overview and trade data.
Last published date: 2022-09-23
https://www.trade.gov/country-commercial-guides/mexico-automotive-industry

Mexico is the seventh-largest global passenger vehicle manufacturer, producing approximately three million vehicles annually. Ninety percent of vehicles produced in Mexico are exported, with 76 percent destined for the United States. Established automakers in Mexico include Audi, Baic Group, BMW, Stellantis (made up of FCA and PSA Group), Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jac by Giant Motors, Kia, Mazda,Mercedes Benz, Nissan, Toyota, and Volkswagen.

Mexico is the sixth-largest manufacturer of heavy-duty vehicles for cargo, hosting 14 manufacturers and assemblers of buses, trucks, tractor trucks and engines. These producers maintain 11 manufacturing plants that, supporting more than 24,000 jobs nationwide. Mexico is the leading global exporter of tractor trucks, 95.1 percent of which is destined for the United States. Mexico is also the fourth-largest exporter of heavy-duty vehicles for cargo, and the second-largest export market after Canada, for U.S. medium and heavy-duty trucks. Top players include Cummins, Detroit Diesel Allison, Freightliner–Daimler, Kenworth Mexicana, Mack Trucks de México, International-Navistar, Dina Camiones, Scania, Volvo Group VW, Man Truck & Bus, Mercedes-Benz, Hino Motors, and Isuzu Motors.

Mexico is the fourth-largest producer of automotive parts worldwide generating USD 94 billion in annual revenues.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Free trade with Brazil will benefit five carmakers in particular, say experts
April, 2019
https://mexico-now.com/free-trade-with-brazil-will-benefit-five-carmakers-in-particular-say-experts/

The opening of the automotive trade between Mexico and Brazil will benefit mainly General Motors, Volkswagen, Nissan, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and KIA, automakers that dominate that market already, revealed experts consulted by El Financiero.

“These companies are the immediate beneficiaries because they dominate that market. They will have the opportunity to send more vehicles, but there is also a higher quality advantage of Mexican cars compared to those made in Brazil,” said Brais Alvarez, Automotive Account Manager for J.D. Power Mexico.

In 2018, GM, Volkswagen, Nissan, FCA and KIA represented 93.5% of total Mexican auto exports to Brazil, where they held a 61% market share.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Id much rather tesla build more factories in the US first that being said Im gonna guess that they intend to build robotaxis there