Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
We shall see. Nothing set in stone by Tesla yet.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We shall see. Nothing set in stone by Tesla yet.

Probably not going to happen - maybe sometime in the future - but I would like to have the option of choosing my own tires for the CT from the factory. It's such a waste to order a new truck and then have to change the tires once you get it home if you want something different. Most people would sell the new tires that came with it after changing them for something better, different.

In the past when looking at new 3/4 ton trucks most would come from the factory with General(brand) tires, about the cheapest tire they could put on them(Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge).
I preferred Firestone or Goodyear at the time, they were just better tires.(I prefer Michelin now)

Now, when bargaining with the salesman I would ask if he could change the tires and most times they would. Even though most would come with General there would be a few on the lot that had better tires such as Firestone and Goodyear. I never really found out for sure why they would come with different tires. I'm pretty sure I asked but I can't recall what the salesman said.

Oh and another thing manufacturers used to do(may still) is put the cheapest battery in the vehicle. It was about average to have change the battery about 3 years after buying it new. Oh and the cheapest shocks too.

But Tesla has brought in a new era of vehicles (EV's) and the Big 3 here in the U.S. will be struggling for awhile to catch up. Maybe they'll have to ditch some of their cheap, cost cutting ways too.

The CT is a bit different from the cars Tesla makes(obviously), in the fact that the CT has more functions than the cars they make.

Anyways, I would sure like to be able to choose my tires.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Off road tires run so few miles before wearing out, can't you just wait? ^-^

-Crissa
But if you really like your tires you just get new ones. Or, some people even have 2 sets of tires, one set for the daily driving and the other for winter and/or off-roading.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Are those tires you posted rated for very fast speeds? Remember, Trimotor Cybertruck is to be 130 mph capable.

Sure, now you say you won't go that fast. We all know we are going to test it just once. Maybe twice. Well, maybe more, but just in special occasions like showing it off to all of our friends the first 6 months. And when that Porsche is next to you at the light revving his engine.

And Tesla has a habit of upgrading speed with software updates.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are those tires you posted rated for very fast speeds? Remember, Trimotor Cybertruck is to be 130 mph capable.

Sure, now you say you won't go that fast. We all know we are going to test it just once. Maybe twice. Well, maybe more, but just in special occasions like showing it off to all of our friends the first 6 months. And when that Porsche is next to you at the light revving his engine.

And Tesla has a habit of upgrading speed with software updates.
They are rated at 55mph(I would go 65-70 when needed, it's just a rating). So yeah, you give up speed. But again you can have two sets of tires. But even if I had only one set I would get the Michelin XZL, personal choice. Speed is fun don't get me wrong, but the CT is a truck and traditionally trucks are used for things other than racing.

But hey, get the factory tires. It's just a matter of choice.

Shumby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered), Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z nismo, Infiniti FX50S, Dodge Dakota
Occupation
Sr. Maintance Engineer
Country flag
Probably not going to happen - maybe sometime in the future - but I would like to have the option of choosing my own tires for the CT from the factory. It's such a waste to order a new truck and then have to change the tires once you get it home if you want something different. Most people would sell the new tires that came with it after changing them for something better, different.

In the past when looking at new 3/4 ton trucks most would come from the factory with General(brand) tires, about the cheapest tire they could put on them(Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge).
I preferred Firestone or Goodyear at the time, they were just better tires.(I prefer Michelin now)

Now, when bargaining with the salesman I would ask if he could change the tires and most times they would. Even though most would come with General there would be a few on the lot that had better tires such as Firestone and Goodyear. I never really found out for sure why they would come with different tires. I'm pretty sure I asked but I can't recall what the salesman said.

Oh and another thing manufacturers used to do(may still) is put the cheapest battery in the vehicle. It was about average to have change the battery about 3 years after buying it new. Oh and the cheapest shocks too.

But Tesla has brought in a new era of vehicles (EV's) and the Big 3 here in the U.S. will be struggling for awhile to catch up. Maybe they'll have to ditch some of their cheap, cost cutting ways too.

The CT is a bit different from the cars Tesla makes(obviously), in the fact that the CT has more functions than the cars they make.

Anyways, I would sure like to be able to choose my tires.

You will have very little room to bargen. OEM tires are actually built for the car. they do have different tolerances and in some cases are built to help with the ride and suspention of the car. (addition of GSK and B59 ) And before you ask. I was a classpector for Michelen for many years and my father was head of QA/QC in the Nova Scotia Bridgewater plat.

I will first thing chnge my tires on the CT ( first thing i do with all my cars. 2009 FX50 S 2015 GTR 2015 370Z 2004 Dakota 2004 Maxima) but really expect nothing from tesla for dealing in alteratives.

Shumby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered), Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z nismo, Infiniti FX50S, Dodge Dakota
Occupation
Sr. Maintance Engineer
Country flag
so lets talk tires and what the codes mean. I am here to help. The stock tires will be okay on the CT. But you need to know how and where you will be driving it. If tesla has top speed and preformance testing they cannot offer a tire that has a lower speed rating. this will not be great for the offroad world. and also not great for the load haulers. i would susspect to keeps cost down they will go fo Z rated tires as that is what the tri motor will require. and then they can get the bulk order. But this will not be the best tire for everyone.. No different than anyother can manufactuer. It comes down to cost

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think multiple tires is a good investment if you have the storage space. Even if you don't, there are businesses that can store your tires for you. I live in Canada, so proper winter tires are very important for me to own for all my vehicles. I also have summer tires for my car and mud tires for my Jeep. Using the right tire for what you are doing can get better range and extend the life of the tires which will save money in the long run. Personally i'm getting rid of my Jeep and car before I get my Cybertruck, so i'll probably get winter, summer, and mud tires.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
so lets talk tires and what the codes mean. I am here to help. The stock tires will be okay on the CT. But you need to know how and where you will be driving it. If tesla has top speed and preformance testing they cannot offer a tire that has a lower speed rating. this will not be great for the offroad world. and also not great for the load haulers. i would susspect to keeps cost down they will go fo Z rated tires as that is what the tri motor will require. and then they can get the bulk order. But this will not be the best tire for everyone.. No different than anyother can manufactuer. It comes down to cost
I think they have different tires for the Performance trims of the different Models, so I think the TriMotor can have its own tires versus the DualMotor... but who knows, it might just be a wheel/tire combo that is an option on the TriMotor...

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Personally I will be leaning towards highway...efficiency performance. One thing I will keep pushing it is the CT will be a heirloom vehicle. There may be millions of them on the road in 5 years. Tire manufacturers will cater to these millions. I would expect a lot of improvements and competition to keep cost down.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
No, just Prius owners.
Sponsored