Might convert my Dual Motor reservation to RWD. Doing the same?

MonkeyDeLuffy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
Occupation
Math In-and-Out
Country flag
If Cyberbeast is fully or close to fully equipped then I will go with this trim otherwise will take AWD.
Sponsored

KMB7HOME

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
Same here. Reservation for DM and SM, both with FSD to lock in the price. What good is a reservation if everything changes? I understand inflation over the last 4 years, but many features changed. As a contractor I was looking for the last vehicle I will ever own. Million mile battery will last me 100 years. Missing on-board compressor, made it smaller to fit in a single car garage????? Why not keep it the beast it was meant to be? Lost the 6th seat, no pass through from box to passenger cabin, drop the rear window for extra long lumber? It does feel like a bait and switch, no ramp gate, no biggie. Only 4 feet wide and no sail storage is a waste of space? The Ford Lightning does not have much more ground clearance than an SUV on the market. Rivian is looking pretty good right now. Seems it will be more Lawyers and Dentists who will have the funds to pay for a new toy to fit in their 3 car garage. We need the model 2 for the masses, the truck for the contractor to replace the "Big (not so big soon) 3". Everyone has to make a profit, I have to make a profit too. I was considerating withdrawing the 2WD rez and upping my DM to the top of the line. Last vehicle I ever buy, perhaps, but financial cost to carry, could be intimidating with current interest rates. Yes the company pays for it and it's a write off... but I am the company.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Bottom line? Tesla is a premium brand. I knew deep down that it wasn’t going to be less expensive than a R1T.

The RWD is the best bargain of all three trim levels.

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
Don't know what I will do. So disappointed in loss of range, no ramp, and a major price increase. I had high hopes from @Crissa that us early adopters would not be gouged. I can intellectually absorb a portion of the price increase to inflation and technological improvements not on the introduction. **

Trimotor reserved. Cannot justify well over $100,000 for a f---ing truck (once you add the upgrades like laser light and whatever else, plus sales, property taxes every year) on a vehicle that will depreciate; regardless of the word of Tesla Fanbois. Maybe, maybe, (unlikey) if the range had lived up to the promise. This is why Musk said that they dug their own grave with Cybertruck. I won’t live long enough to get anywhere near the use our of that much cash lay out.

This was to be a revolutionary, affordable vehicle for the average person and accelerate us to a sustainable future. Just like the Delorian DMC-12, which was supposed to be a $12,000 sports car for the people that debuted at over twice the promised price, Cybertruck comes out with an eye-popping sticker. I almost puked (seriously) when seeing the price. Call me disillusioned.

My brother said, "You only live once." Not much longer if my wife knows the cost of the truck. My brother also makes over 5 times my annual salary of a nurse living in the Midwest.

Since I am 425,000 in line I will have a couple of years to decide unless so many people cancel their reservations due to the new and unimproved vehicle cost.

** One last time, Midgate was NEVER promised, so you folks just get a reality check. Just like I am with the cost.

Very heavy sigh.
What does your brother do?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
What does your brother do?
Pharmacist by education, currently working in a technical aspect to integrate computer systems for retail pharmacy needs. Salary plus bonus. There is no such thing as a bonus in hospital nursing. Hell, we don't even get a $20 gift card for the holidays to buy a turkey since the pandemic started.

Variable556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, Escape
Country flag
I initially reserved the Dual Motor trim but I have decided to switch to the $61k RWD trim. Even though I can afford to purchase the AWD version I just can’t justify spending $80k on a depreciating asset such as a vehicle. Adding a few tasty options plus sales tax and registration would easily put my OTD price around $90k.

The RWD version will still offer all of the features I love about the CT and I can easily get by with 250 miles of battery range and a 7500 pound towing limit.

RWD buyers still get a virtually dent and rust proof SS exterior, adjustable air suspension, practical 6‘ bed with a durable tonneau cover, steer-by-wire steering, RWS, Tesla’s newest battery cell technology, borosilicate shatter proof glass, minimalist interior, powered frunk, etc.

Delaying my purchase for a 2025 model also allows Tesla to work out the first year teething issues that any brand new model encounters. Tesla may also offer improvements during the first year of production.

I‘m curious to hear if any other DM reservation holders are doing the same and why.

PERFORMANCE
Range (est.)

250 MILES
Acceleration
6.5 SEC 0-60 MPH
Drive
REAR-WHEEL DRIVE
Top Speed
112 MPH
Towing
7,500 LBS
AVAILABLE IN 2025

063EF3A2-BC72-4755-8A34-2012506FEBC9.jpeg
Me? No way. I’m still dual/“AWD” or nothing (depending on eventual price when I’m contacted).

I can understand other folks wanting a RWD depending on their use and/or location, so no judgement there whatsoever.

For me it’s a non-starter though. I wouldn’t even be able to make it up my driveway in the winter, let alone drive to work when the roads are bad. That’s not even counting going hunting and just goofing around in remote locations.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
I’m with you on that, it does seem like we are now seeing what the CT really is.
It never was a work truck or a cheap truck, it was always going to be a feature rich Tesla. The unrealistic part was EM setting a too low price.
I too thought $80k for a truck? At least until I checked the cost of all those V8 powered, high trim trucks from the others. The comparison becomes more realistic.
In 2019 the price listed for a RWD was $400 more than a standard Model 3.
Even then l concluded they were giving the CT away at $39,990. Now that it's 2023 and the price is $20K over original, l'm a bit disappointed for everyone wanting a lowish entry point into a fabulous design. However, being realistic, l'm NOT at all surprised with all things considered, including looking at the completion on sale like RIVIAN and F150 LIGHTNING. The CT has many strengths that give it a slight edge. I am bummed that the TRI will mean a ton of pennies to save till they bring it DownUnder!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Crissa, still following through with your reservation?
Sponsored