Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Well, he forgot to mention what cars were testing the 4680s back on battery day, too. So I have no idea. I haven't heard about any mega castings or structural packs in the Model S, but it could have happened.

-Crissa
Did you see all the mega castings stacked along the fence in the pre event drone flyover? Was wondering which they were for.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No, it doesn't. It gives the same charging profile, and only has a range advantage per pack physical dimensions.

That assumes the Model S is constrained by battery pack size (it's not) or cooling system (it wasn't).

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lucid doesn't charge any in any minutes, because they haven't shipped them. Also, they're using the 900v architecture, which gives them a slight charging advantage. This is unrelated to the 4680 cells, as Lucid is using the same kind of cells in the current Model 3, I think.

The 4680 only gives a small bonus in density. It does not give a bonus to charging speed. Actually, the larger physical cell size is detrimental to faster charging because of heat transfer, which the tabless design overcomes. So that part is a wash.

We already know that most of their models are not constrained by physical pack size. Only the Semi and Cybertruck will be (which is why they'll use the new cells). So it won't matter, for the most part, unless you're getting the trimotor.

And if they remain cell-constrained, well...

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't like comparing potential products to shipped products, that's all.

Since the Plaid has shipped, it's no longer okay to compare to the Lucid ^-^

The Taycan has the he charging speed 'record' for crossing the US right now. Lucid is claiming the same thing, but with a more efficient car, which may b, but I need to see it now.

If you want the most miles per charge, well, the Aptera has them all beat (tho they don't have their peak charging set yet)

-Crissa